Strange finding, after I filled up the tank.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Strange finding, after I filled up the tank.

Post by doletotodole »

I noticed on a few occasions after I filled to top the fuel tank, PCX seems to be more powerful, starts quicker and runs like a load off its shoulder.

Is it a fact? Why is it so?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Strange finding, after I filled up the tank.

Post by homie »

Cold fuel on a hot day maybe? The fuel in my Buell gets so hot riding directly over the twins you can feel and hear it boiling after a long run in 80-90 degree weather. I like to top off after such a run to pull the temp in the tank back down. It's scary but nothing blows so I could see cold fuel working the ECM on a hot day with high temp bikes but scooter? Hows the weather in China this time of year? I guessing not hot enough to cause this effect.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I wonder if the gas cap is venting Okay. When you open it to top-off the tank it goes directly to atmospheric conditions.
Daguang
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by Daguang »

Just psychological effect. I noticed that too, however, the engine is perfectly warmed up before you entered the gas station not like you left home.
mowzertron
Color: Brown

Post by mowzertron »

Psychological. You get the same effect when you clean the bike.

Clean bikes go faster.
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

homie wrote:Cold fuel on a hot day maybe? The fuel in my Buell gets so hot riding directly over the twins you can feel and hear it boiling after a long run in 80-90 degree weather. I like to top off after such a run to pull the temp in the tank back down. It's scary but nothing blows so I could see cold fuel working the ECM on a hot day with high temp bikes but scooter? Hows the weather in China this time of year? I guessing not hot enough to cause this effect.

wow, boiling, that's scary.

I noticed that in midnight and midnoon, so should not be cold fuel effect, but I will try to discriminate this in future to find any difference.
Daguang
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by Daguang »

mowzertron wrote:Psychological. You get the same effect when you clean the bike.

Clean bikes go faster.
I feel the engine sound lighter every time I cleaned the bike. :lol: :lol:
cold_surfer
Year: 2015
Color: pearl white

Post by cold_surfer »

one theory: there is a strainer on the end of the fuel line pickup, the refueling washes away the junk caught in the filter and it takes spraying in new fuel to "wash" that screen off :o . The part # is 16707-K35-V01 (about $8) and it fits on the end of the fuel pump. You ALSO need to suck all the dirt and debris out of the bottom of the tank -- like with a fast siphon -- or remove tank and dump it all out, spraying it out with carb cleaner. My guess is you have dodgy filling stations with dodgy tanks on your route :roll: . I always go with the newest gas station on route because the old tanks have a lot of crap in them. at 100mpg we can splurge on gas :ugeek: ...
cold_surfer

Post by cold_surfer »

not trying to push this vendor -- just show the pic of the fuel pickup in PCX... reference #3 part there.... http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts ... /fuel-tank
cold_surfer

Post by cold_surfer »

also -- run some fuel injector cleaner before changing filter so the crap is sent back to the tank. Honestly, I wouldn't mess around with crappy gas on a FI 150 with tiny orfice holes. change out that filter and clear the tank to see if it returns to normal all the time. At least run the FI cleaner additive.