New PCX owner here in Michigan

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

markgj
Year: 2013
Color: Red

New PCX owner here in Michigan

Post by markgj »

Recently sold my 2010 Elite 110 and bought a lightly used 2013 PCX150 with 3500 miles on it for $1700. So far I am enjoying this thing so much more than my Elite, which was still a great bike. Interestingly, I am getting just over 100mpg based on 3 fill ups compared to the Elite that got about 85mpg, and this has much better acceleration and about 20mph faster top end.

Things I have done or added in the 3 weeks that I have owned it:
  • Valves adjusted, they were out of spec, both rather tight.
    Oil changed 10-40 HP4M engine, 10-30 HP4M final drive.
    Coolant swapped with Honda OEM blue... oddly green is what drained, I am not sure if that was the factory fill, since Honda has been using the blue stuff for a while. My Elite had blue. Maybe it was changed before for some reason.
    Still need to do the brake fluid, but may upgrade the pads, maybe even a stainless line. Brakes seem rather mediocre for such a light bike. They work fine, I just expected a little better.
Add ons:
  • Givi medium windscreen... though I may opt for the larger one. This one looks great, but not impressed with it in actual functionality.

Michelin City Grip tires, stock size. Great improvement in ride quality. Stock tires were in Ok shape, but getting close to 5 years old from assembly date, I figured I would just change them. I added Ride On tire balancer and sealant, half of the 8oz bottle in each tire.

Cheeky Seats custom seat cover, dehumped the seat and put this on. I may still mod the seat pan to get rid of the plastic mounting areas that stick up as I can still feel them somewhat. I really like the Cheeky Seats cover and they made me one based on what I wanted... though I do think that the stitching needs to be sealed on the underside as the padding that is sewn in it did get a little wet in a heavy downpour.

NCY variator, drive face and 13g rollers (seems to be the popular choice on the boards).

Installed the newer version of the PCX belt (2015+ I think). The cogged belt. There didn't seem to be a definitive agreement whether it would work on the 2013. We'll find out! Spec is I believe 1mm wider than the 2013 new spec belt, otherwise it is the same length. It is quite a bit more flexible than the stock one, so that may help in mpg and overall responsiveness. The old stock one is thicker, less flexible and without the cogs, seems to hold a shape after being held in position for a few.

Malossi winged clutch bell.

Malossi full exhaust. I looked around on the boards and the web a bit and I am surprised this isn't the go too muffler choice. $329 free shipping and super easy install and great fitments. Comes with header, mounting hardware and bracket. All stainless steel with a carbon fiber end. All you need is a new $1 exhaust gastket (I don't recommend reusing the old one). It sounds fantastic and looks better than most of what I have seen. I haven't tried it with the stock insert (db reducer). I took that out before installing it and it sounds like a single cylinder sport bike. Not obnoxious overly and isn't too loud at cruising levels to become annoying.

I also added the Honda factory rack, it was $35 on Amazon. I plan on adding a Shad top case... still debating on SH33, SH37, SH39 or SH40. I plan on drill mounting the adaptor plate to the rack, since this rack was cheaper and looks nicer and sturdier than the Shad mount for almost $70.
Anyway, I just installed the driveline additions and muffler this past weekend, so I've only put about 100 miles on it with the on and off rain. Overall it feels much peppier. Haven't tried a top speed run, but I do know I was able to get to 60 faster and easier than before the upgrades. And the sound. By far the favorite upgrade. I will try with the stock insert in at some point, just to get an in person idea of both options.
Attachments
IMG_7770.JPG
IMG_7770.JPG (700.09 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
IMG_7769.JPG
IMG_7769.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1090 times
IMG_7754.JPG
IMG_7754.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 1090 times
IMG_7752.JPG
IMG_7752.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1090 times
IMG_7751.JPG
IMG_7751.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1090 times
IMG_7693.JPG
IMG_7693.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 1090 times
IMG_7799.JPG
IMG_7799.JPG (2.03 MiB) Viewed 1090 times
2013 PCX150, NCY Variator, drive face, 13g rollers and 2015+ OEM cogged belt. Malossi full exhaust and wing clutch bell.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New PCX owner here in Michigan

Post by chicaboo »

Oh, I like you. Now for shocks and engine mods. :lol:
markgj

Post by markgj »

chicaboo wrote:Oh, I like you. Now for shocks and engine mods. :lol:
Haha. No engine mods for me. I have looked into the shocks though, the YSS and maybe their fork inserts that are similar to cartridge emulators. I'm more than pleased with the performance of the bike with the variator and exhaust. Now I just need a good top case and perhaps a better windscreen.
2013 PCX150, NCY Variator, drive face, 13g rollers and 2015+ OEM cogged belt. Malossi full exhaust and wing clutch bell.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I've got a modded CBR125R 31mm throttle body, 31mm intake manifold, CBR150R injector with an upgraded intake snorkel to the airbox, and it makes a BIG difference.
I had to add a Dobek EJK interceptor on the injector to dial down the injector all the way to get a good fuel mixture. Otherwise I would've had to max out the stock injector.
Not too far down the track I'm installing a BBK (hence bigger injector) I've had laying around for far too long, and I'm sure I'll be needing some brake upgrades after that.

The YSS shocks are OK, but mine and another member's have leaked out the reservoir cap on one side. So I would recommend their cheaper units without the reservoir.
I reckon I'll upgrade to YSS PD valve emulators, too. There's a kit that includes heavier springs, and comes with a superfluous fork cap that's useless on non-Asian models.
For front brakes you can buy 260mm rotor kits that include a caliper spacer, but there's mixed results with these. Good pads and braided lines probably do more to stop you.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Adding markgj to the whisper'ers

Badge? ... wear them with pride 8)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCX-PRESTIGE-X2 ... QR&vxp=mtr
Attachments
kit-badges-prestige-rouge-honda-pcx-125150-v1-v2-v3-87125-kzy-700.jpg
kit-badges-prestige-rouge-honda-pcx-125150-v1-v2-v3-87125-kzy-700.jpg (29 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome to the forums. Great pics. Thanks for the post.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

homie wrote:Adding markgj to the whisper'ers
Thumbs Up 01_80x80.jpg
Thumbs Up 01_80x80.jpg (2.36 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
markgj

Post by markgj »

homie wrote:Adding markgj to the whisper'ers

Badge? ... wear them with pride 8)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCX-PRESTIGE-X2 ... QR&vxp=mtr
Haha... I am not sure what a PCX Whisperer is?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

markgj wrote: Haha... I am not sure what a PCX Whisperer is?
Just that one might take stock in what you say about the mechanics of a PCX with some confidence and certainty.

That said, do you think these clutch assembly's off ebay will fit the little Honda? Was thinking to order one for a closer look. So far the sellers have replied today that they don't know but it's a common clutch for multiple vehicles.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 8&start=20
markgj

Post by markgj »

Hmmm. These's chance they should be ok, but personally I would just go the Honda OEM on the clutch. There are some reputable name brand aftermarket clutches, but they seem to change the performance characteristics of the bike... mostly to the detriment of daily riding.

If the concern is getting a fully assembled clutch, any shop would assemble it probably for under $20 while you wait. Alternatively I've seen a few good YouTube videos on going it yourself without a compression tool. It's not hard and doesn't look as dangerous as people may think.

YouTube Scooterwest videos, its mostly Vespa/Piaggio, but the procedures are pretty much exactly the same on the PCX. Also DaBinChe has a ton of great videos working on an Elite 110, again the procedures are almost exactly the same for most things on the pcx too.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

markgj wrote: personally I would just go the Honda OEM on the clutch. There are some reputable name brand aftermarket clutches, but they seem to change the performance characteristics of the bike... mostly to the detriment of daily riding.

If the concern is getting a fully assembled clutch, any shop would assemble it probably for under $20 while you wait. Alternatively I've seen a few good YouTube videos on going it yourself without a compression tool. It's not hard and doesn't look as dangerous as people may think.
I have one of the Chinese fully assembled clutches inbound. I plan to take it apart and compare it to stock parts. I don't need one myself but don't want to recommend crappy parts to members in here. It will be fun to see what comes :D who knows could be the exact same unit Honda puts in PCX and all these scooters, sure looks the part.