Oil leaking on my 2015 pcx

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

wibblet
Year: 2015
Color: white

Oil leaking on my 2015 pcx

Post by wibblet »

Hey guys,

So my oil leak looks very similar to the one currently on the top of the forum but not quite exact. Before I take it to the dealer I wanted to see if anyone could help me out. I think it's a simple fix but I'm not very handy with motorcycles. I did the oil change myself probably three months ago but now the oil is leaking. Hoping someone can help me out, thank you!
Attachments
20170519_200042.jpg
20170519_200042.jpg (312.83 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Oil leaking on my 2015 pcx

Post by you you »

It's leaking from the sump plug. Get a new copper or aluminium crush gasket and fit between the bolt and the crankcase. See if you can get your hands on a torque wrench for tightening the bolt.

This should sort it. Good luck.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Or just tighten up this one as obviously hasn't been tightened up properly.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

And check oil level on dipstick.
Easy does it on drain plug tightening....use a new washer ( buy a matching bunch of them at your hardware store)
..and just snug the drain plug to seal it. Over do it & it will cost you
$$.
Expensive torque wrench is a good idea. Cheap ones are dangerous to a scooter and wallets when working smaller fasteners in alloy engines.
Ride it one time and check for leak...see a drop? snug it a bit more.
Fish
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

DO NOT USE A TORQUE WRENCH on these drain bolts people. Too many people on YT strip the threads by not noting the difference between foot pounds and inch pounds. If you've already striped the threads it's not a big deal to fix it. We should use very little effort with standard wrench feeling your way to gently tighten. It's like just a quarter/half turn beyond hand tight. Does not take much to retain the oil and save yourself some frustration by over tightening.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yes, start there.
Size drain bolt seal washer (also called: crush washer) is 12mm (aluminum). Soft material for the bolt to seat itself snuggly (crush) into.Results, no leaks.
Do Not overtighten as member's fish & homie mentioned. I do Not use a torque wrench for oil changes. I set the bolt in till it seats then give it "just a bit more" of a turn (quarter more, I'd say). Never leaks.

Out of curiosity, do you know how many miles are on the existing (perhaps original) seal washer?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:DO NOT USE A TORQUE WRENCH on these drain bolts people. Too many people on YT strip the threads by not noting the difference between foot pounds and inch pounds. If you've already striped the threads it's not a big deal to fix it. We should use very little effort with standard wrench feeling your way to gently tighten. It's like just a quarter/half turn beyond hand tight. Does not take much to retain the oil and save yourself some frustration by over tightening.

Are people really that stoopid? If you think you are then use NMs.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

you you wrote: Are people really that stoopid? If you think you are then use NMs.
:lol: Can't say I haven't almost done it a couple times. NM torque values would make it easier for sure. I never thought to order one of your torque wrenches for the PCX until now ;) perhaps I should.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

wibblet, please keep us updated...we want that leak to STOP too. Fixed?
We want you Riding and Smiling like Us :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You