Chicaboo's BBK kit and performance mods.

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Chicaboo's BBK kit and performance mods.

Post by chicaboo »

BPT7594 wrote:When will you get off your lazy butt and install the bbk like finally?
I use water plumbing tube for the air intake.
It's not all lazy. Unfortunately the scooter isn't the biggest or most important thing in my life.
I have to care for my handicapped brother, my mother with progressing dementia, and a demanding Siamese cat.
So on top of my shitty job, I have to do every other thing around the house, so my hobbies play a distant second.
I'm not in the best condition myself, so I'm not up to exerting myself in summer when it's 33C+ & 90%+ humidity.
By the time the weekend rolls around when I can ride or work on the scooter, I'm often worn out and don't care.

Anyhow, the parts and direction of the build have changed a couple of times, which has added to the time to build.
ATM I'm waiting on a copper gasket set from Yuminashi. Once I have that I'm happy that I will have everything I need.
So yeah, things are coming together even if they are progressing slowly. I'm not really bothered if that doesn't everyone. :|

Yeah, I thought Yuminashi might have used the best radiator hose money can buy, but they don't even trim the dam thing...
But radiator hoses aren't cheap here, and it's not like it was 20 years ago when you could rummage through a box of hoses.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Demanding Siamese Cat?
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

k2apache6.0 wrote:Demanding Siamese Cat?
Yeah, for some reason he can't look after himself and needs constant attention.
He's not retarded or anything, I think it's because he was an only child, dunno?
Anyhow, he's another anchor around my neck that holds me down. Little bugger...
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I've now got a cheap 190CCA GEL battery to get me going until my warranty is sorted for the lithium.
So now I can be riding this weekend, woohoo! :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Did I miss something? What was the problem with the lithium battery? I have seen several advertised for bikes and scooters. I would have thought they would be the ultimate battery. I had even thought of replacing mine with one eventually, though there is nothing wrong with either of the batteries in my scooters so far. In fact, one of them was just replaced. Still, the lithium battery is lighter and smaller than the regular battery.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Mel46 wrote:Did I miss something? What was the problem with the lithium battery? I have seen several advertised for bikes and scooters. I would have thought they would be the ultimate battery. I had even thought of replacing mine with one eventually, though there is nothing wrong with either of the batteries in my scooters so far. In fact, one of them was just replaced. Still, the lithium battery is lighter and smaller than the regular battery.
I went to start the scooter on the weekend and the battery was totally dead, not even flat, but dead.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

That is weird. I do know that lithium batteries work that way. They give their all and then just die. I have had that happen on some of my other, smaller lithium batteries, such as small adapters, but I have had others that have lasted for many many years. In fact, my iPod Classic 120GB mp3 player is still going after many many years of faithful service.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I've got good and bad news... First the good:
Yesterday I replaced the clutch and changed to 11+13g sliders, then took the scooter out for a night ride after dinner.
The scooter was running great! Mid range was fantastic due to the big tube airbox mod, but I didn't test top speed...
Accelerating from a stop was ok, probably as good as it can be with light sliders? I could feel it surge away from a stop.
Even without a resonator in the airbox, sound wasn't too bad and thankfully didn't sound agricultural, but louder than stock.

And now the bad:
Towards the end of my ride I scraped something (centre stand or exhaust?) on the side of a speed bump and almost crashed.
I've ridden around that speed bump numerous times before, so I was worried that I might've​ tweaked something given the impact?
I pulled into a carpark under a light to check for damage, but I couldn't see anything. But I decided to head home just to be safe... :roll:
Going down a hill on the way home I had to make a right turn 180 on a small roundabout to go back to a turn I missed. Yeah, this is the bad.

Half way into the turn I hear a very metallic scrape and then the next thing I know I've been Hulk smashed into the road on my right side!
Oh my, I can't believe this, WTF??? o_O I managed to roll onto my back since the scooter slid about 3' away from me, but I couldn't get up.
I saw a car coming up the hill so I put my arm up for him to stop like he had a choice in the matter with me blocking the roundabout.
The guy pulled up and helped me to my feet, then switched off the scooter and picked it up and wheeled it to the side of the roundabout.
He said he had to move his car, and then jumped in and took off. Oh great... Two other guys in car pulled up after this to check on me.

At this point I'm starting to realise I'm hurting in my ribs and sternum and my right knee and hip where I was slammed by the scooter.
I asked the two guys to wait while I checked that the scooter could still start, and it did. I knew I had to get home before the pain set in.
So I thanked the two guys and jumped on the scooter and rode the rest of the way home, which thankfully was only less than 10 minutes.

I got home and could now see all the right side panels were scraped, right mirror not smashed, but I couldn't bend over to see the exhaust.
Getting changed out of my gear was hard, but there were no tears on my jacket or pants (I didn't slide), and only a light scuff on my right boot.
My brand new $550 helmet (first time wearing it) took a hit on the right side. This is the saddest thing for me, since fixing the scooter is cheap. :cry:

As for me the next morning, the ribs and sternum still hurt badly and I can only lay on my back. My right hip and inner knee are bruised.
Getting up and back into bed to go to the bathroom is torture. Standing and sitting is painful, and my leg muscles are very sore in both legs.
Having had broken ribs before, I know the drill, and there's no prescription to fix it beyond time and Panadol... So no trip to the doctor for me.

I've been trying to make sense of the crash, and in particular the earlier impact from the speed bump.
One thing I forgot to do when I was working on the scooter was check the air pressure in the tyres.
I'm not in any shape to go check them now, but that may have caused the initial scrape on the speed bump?
And maybe the impact from the speed bump tweaked my centre stand? Although, I doubt it.
I know from past experience that I may drop 1-2psi tyre pressure every month, and it had been about 2 months.
Because I'm huge, I tend to over inflate them though as per the pillion passenger pressure recommendations.

I think a combination of low tyre pressures? and the slope of the roundabout caused my centre stand to anchor.
Which in turn high centred me and slammed the scooter down hard. The slope exaggerating the lean angle...
I've only been riding for a year, and this is perhaps the first time I've encountered these combination of conditions.
I don't know if the tyres played a part, as the bike was riding great before it happened, or if the centre stand was tweaked earlier?

Anyhow, I'm sharing my experience with everyone so the less experienced riders can learn from my mistake.
When I did my licence course no one warned me about making u turns on hills and how your lean angle is reduced.
So I'm going to be of the scooter for a while while I'm recovering.
I'm unsure what to do about insurance because of the helmet thing. The scooter isn't as problem, but that dam helmet...
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

There's more good news. True to form you hadn't installed the Rothmans livery kit yet :)
Damn, the lengths you'll go too to avoid installing all those parts you bought months ago :)
On a serious note, lesson learned, get well soon and feel better.
My PCX mod build here..
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I wasn't ever going to install the Rothmans livery until the BBK was done just incase I broke some clips. Now I've got that and then some!

I didn't mention it, but I installed a new dashboard (centre block) a couple of weeks ago and that fixed my rattles and vibrations.
Then on the way home after the crash, what do I hear? Yeah, that was a twist of the knife I didn't want on top of everything else.

Friendly banter aside, you guys need to appreciate the things I have done to the scooter outside of what I haven't done...
There's things I can't fit on the blue list due to a character limit, and things I used to have, so I have to pick and choose now.

Thanks for the well wishes. I can't believe how much this hurts compared to a bicycle crash... :(
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I just realised yesterday was the one year anniversary of when I bought the scooter. What a way to celebrate, eh?
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

chicaboo wrote:I just realised yesterday was the one year anniversary of when I bought the scooter. What a way to celebrate, eh?
I thought you were going to say one year since you'd bought the parts Bwhahahahaa. But really, yeah' that sucks badly, good news is body panels are relatively cheap around $230 even for a full set from Thailand at least.. (Not so) happy anniversary, coincidently its a year for me too, last Thursday to be precise. Put just over 5,000 miles on her the 1st 12 months. 1 close call, chirped the front tire at 50mph hard braking, hard with 2 fingers anyway when someone cut me off. Since the light mods though I havent had one single cut off or person pulling out on me (touch wood)
My PCX mod build here..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

When you finally get well enough to investigate what caused your problems, consider the springs that hold the side stand and center stand. Maybe one of them came off?? ...or maybe the center stand broke loose on one side?? Is the muffler any lower than the original?? I have scraped the center stand but never caught it on something like you did. I am just glad to hear that you were OK enough to be able to ride home. If you don't feel better in a week, go to the doctor. You never know. Meanwhile, rest and take care of yourself.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Just caught up with you news chic, I hope you're not hurting too much, but would advise a trip to the doctor would probably do no harm. You certainly make my little offs look meaningless :) :)

I know what you mean about the helmet, it really peeves you when you smash up a brand new expensive helmet, but it's still cheaper than new body parts, and I do mean "your" body.

Get up and back on the bike real soon.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Thanks Mel and John. You too know what it's like. The pain is making it very hard to sleep.
I can kind of get comfortable on my back in bed or sitting up on the couch, but neither option are ways I ever sleep...
I'm really heart broken about the helmet, but the scoot is a cheap fix. I'm not able to take a hit like I did when I was younger.
One of my past work friends has offered to take me to the doctor and x-ray place today, and she won't take no for an answer.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Update: I have three broken ribs. :(
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Oh man, my heart goes out to you, had doubted it would be that bad, good job you had yourself checked out. Take it easy and get well soon.
My PCX mod build here..
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Yeah, no wonder I couldn't move for a while after I went down. I must've been in shock when I rode the scoot home.
I'm lucky someone called me out of the blue this morning and offered to help get me around to get checked out.
The pain killers are making me drowsy, which is awesome so that I can now finally get some sleep (pass out...)!

I had another realisation about why my right foot hurt after the crash.
Because I'm tall I sit with my feet forward up on the angled foot ramps.
But my feet are quite a bit wider than that part of the foot ramps.
I reckon if I didn't have my boots on, my ankle/foot would've been a mess...

Anyhow, my foot only hurt for all of 5 minutes. My knee is feeling better, but my hip still hurts.
My leg muscles started feeling better and stronger today, which helps with my limited mobility.
I think it's going to take a fair bit of time for the ribs to heal. So I'm not sure if I'll get put off work?
The boss has indicated that he wants me to keep working or he'll replace me. Meh, whatever...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

How do you get to work now? I am guessing that you have 4 wheeled vehicle of some sort, but I am also guessing that sitting up and driving hurt. Nice boss you have. I have had a few bosses like that. Makes you realize how important you are. Friends once told me that if you think you are irreplaceable in your job, put your fist in a bucket of water and then pull it out. The hole that remains is how irreplaceable your are.
The only case in life where you are irreplaceable is with your friends and family. The rest is just getting by. I am glad that you still can get by.
It may take you a bit of time to heal, but you will. Then you can find out what caused your mishap and do what what you can to make sure it does not happen again.
Until then, rest. it is some of the best medicine.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Hey Mel,

So I can look after mum, my brother and the cat, I mostly work from home and only go into the office for meetings.
I've been very fortunate that my brother's friend has been staying with us and helping where she can, but she doesn't drive.
Even with my friend driving me around yesterday, I could feel every bump in the road just sitting in the passenger seat.
Needless​ to say I'm a little way off driving a car for a while. But the Jeep is easier for me to get into being higher up.

My boss called me yesterday and told me how the best thing for broken ribs is to keep active and be moving all the time... :roll:
I think that tells you everything you need to know about him. So if I lose my job, I will have to make do and move on. Oh well. :|