How to replace panels on PCX 125

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

How to replace panels on PCX 125

Post by C-Note »

Does anyone here have experience replacing body panels on the PCX 125 know where to get guidlines/instructions for replacing panels?

Is it explained in the service manual?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: How to replace panels on PCX 125

Post by maddiedog »

The service manual includes a complete tear-down guide.

What panels are you replacing? There's many ways to get all the panels off, but there's 3 main disassembly courses...

Rear-end: Remove the seat. Remove the rear wing cover. Remove the rear wing. Remove the battery cover. Remove the under-seat bin. Remove the fuel flap. Remove the center cover around where the fuel flap was. Remove the left / right rear panel, along with the taillight (it all comes off in one big U-shaped assembly).

Lower panels: Remove the floor mats. Remove the side lower panels (L and R). Remove the bottom panel.

Front end: Remove the windshield. Remove the panel under the windshield. Remove the meter, meter panel, and handlebar cover. Remove the inner cover. Remove the front cover and headlights.

Complete the 3 above to be able to remove the main floorboards.

Here's the most useful page relevant to what you're trying to do in the manual:
Panel removal chart.png
Panel removal chart.png (598.3 KiB) Viewed 13606 times
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Thanks for that info, it is helpful. I have the service manual coming, should have it today.

I have to replace basically the entire right side, front-side, lower, rear side. Just have to figure out how to do it. I'm thinkin' it shouldn't be too bad.

The other plus to haveing the manual is being able to do my own maintenance.

Thanks!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Might be worthwhile getting some trim removal tools, they are only pennies
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Finally got all my ducks in a row... service manual (check), replacement body parts (check), trim tools (check), nice warm day to do the work (check).

Just got all of the new plastic panels the other day. Surprised at how inexpensive they actually were. I am replacing the R & L front covers, R-lower cover, R-step, R-rear cover, and the muffler protector. All of these panels only cost me $85 USD with shipping included. Not that it was worth the spill I took, but at least it didn't cost me much to fix it. Tools were less than $7. I wonder what the Honda dealer would have charged me to do this...

I'll be replacing the panels over the weekend. I'll give y'all an update when I get it finished. I'm not anticipating problems, especially since the panels I am removing will end up in the recycle trash, so I won't be overly concerned if I break a tab or crack one of them. But this is a good opportunity to experience how to get them off the bike without breaking anything and using the tools. One advantage I have is that since I have the new panels, I can see how they attach and where the hooks and tabs actually are before I take off the damaged panels.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

C-Note wrote:I'm not anticipating problems, especially since the panels I am removing will end up in the recycle trash, so I won't be overly concerned if I break a tab or crack one of them.
Make sure to be a bit careful at least -- if you break the tab on the panel, that's okay, but you don't want to break where the tab mounts. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I'm happy for ya C-Note! Can't beat the plastic pricing either! Good luck this weekend, take it slow, be gentle as your hands allow & grab a photo here and there for reference down the road. ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

SUCCESS!!!

Just spent about 5 hrs in the garage swapping out the entire right side, and front left side of my PCX 125. The whole process was pretty complex but went off without a hitch. The service manual was invaluable to get this all done properly. They take you thru the steps including what needs to be removed before you can actually get to the part in question. Also, the trim removal tools I bought for the project were worth their weight in gold, tremendous help in that I didn't break a single tab or hook in the whole process. Everything fit together perfectly. The bike looks good as new. I still cannot believe that these body parts are as inexpensive as they were. I mean you could change the color of you scoot every year, or even mix colors if you like, for $100.

The front-side panels are absolutely the hardest to remove. They require a lot of pre-removal of other panels to get off. Namely, the front grill (panel directly below the meter visor 'windshield'), 3 inner panels (around steering, glove box, aroung the ignition key area), the cover over the fuel fill. Then in Honda's infinite wisdom, the last screw holding the front cover on is buried below the very front of the rear side cover, just above the step.... ARRGH! That required removing my box on the rear, the grab rail cover, the grab rail itself. Then you have to remove the tail light assembly and BOTH rear side panels as a unit. Then, and ONLY then, can you get the front covers off the bike. WHEW!

Once all of that is removed, getting the step and the lower panel below is a piece of cake. So basically I had the entire bike torn down as far as the body panels go, with the exception of the meter assembly and the windshield (meter visor). It all required a lot of patience, the right tools, and to take you time and being careful. There was a lot of jumping back and forth thru pages in the manual to get everything off in the right order.

Hard to believe that you have to remove the tail light just to get the front panel off. I now know what you have to do to get to the engine to service it, and why Honda dealers charge you so much to do it, it's ALL labor.

Anyway, all is good now. Putting it all back together was a snap. Once you do it the first time it's fairly easy, it's just is a lot of steps.

If anyone out there needs any help or advice doing this, I'm you guy. "LOL!"
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

Congratulations C-Note! What trim removal tools did you use? We bought a set at Harbor Freight, but haven't used them yet so I don't know if they were a good choice among the several options. Do you have a link or photo?
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

rainburg wrote:Congratulations C-Note! What trim removal tools did you use? We bought a set at Harbor Freight, but haven't used them yet so I don't know if they were a good choice among the several options. Do you have a link or photo?
I bought mine at Harbor Frieght as well. I don't really think it matters as long as they don't marr up the surface of the parts. This is the set I used, they are made of non-marring poly-nylon material, and work great. I used the two narrow tools the most. Mostly to pry, and sometimes pull with the hooked end.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-au ... 67021.html

They work great! Sometimes you have to use more than one to work the panel off. Just be careful, study the panel removel illustrations to understand where the hooks and tabs are and pry close to those areas and in the right direction.

Good luck! If you need any advice or instruction, let me know.
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

Those looks exactly the same, so we should have most in not all of the tools we need. Thank you C-Note! We're finally going to tackle the valves this weekend I think. Easier to give the PCX up for a bit now that cool rainy weather has returned.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

rainburg wrote:Those looks exactly the same, so we should have most in not all of the tools we need. Thank you C-Note! We're finally going to tackle the valves this weekend I think. Easier to give the PCX up for a bit now that cool rainy weather has returned.
Yeah, you're gonna need to remove all of the panels just to get at the engine which is in itself a chore the first time you do it. You have to remove most every panel on the bike (both) sides to get to the engine. Strip it down. At least when you remove panels you won't have to take off the misc. hardware to put on new panels. Like clip nuts, turn signals, etc. So it'll go faster.

Good luck, I will be doing the same soon. I guess I could have done it when I had all the panels off. But I was already overwelmed, haha! That's ok though, I can do it again now, and feel comfortable with it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I was going to buy a service manual from one of the sites mentioned on this forum (Manual Wizard) but it looks like they no longer offer it. We have a new pcx150 but they look like they are the same, so I should be able to use the same service manual. Since I have to replace the right front cover on my wife's little bike, I definitely could use a service manual or some pages at least. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I had hoped to get by cheaper than $50 plus shipping.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

jlhog
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jlhog »

I just received my manual today from this place.
http://www.sell.com/2C9GTN
2013 Honda PCX 150
PCX Commuter
Color: Red

Post by PCX Commuter »

Ordered my PCX 150 manual from Helm Inc in the US for $46 with shipping. Should have it tomorrow!

Yes, I'm the nerd who reads owner and service manuals for pleasure. Every. Last. Page.
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX 150, 2002 Honda Metropolitan
Previously owned: 1978 Honda NC50
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Thank you! I will order it from them just as soon as my next pension check comes in. Yes, I am old, but I'm not dead, so I'm going to ride! I retired at the end of 2011 when I found out that I have leukemia...that, after 5 back surgeries for an injury I suffered in the Antarctic in the mid '70s. Still, I was able to have a long and fulfilling career as a Computer Software Engineer....after 12 years in Coast Guard aviation. I have travelled the Pacific and seen both Poles. I even lived I. Hawaii for a couple of years. Who could ask for more?!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I sailed back into Hobart where I live, a couple of days back, and we went past a chinese ice breaker that was here for fueling and repairs that was heading off to the antarctic. First time thats happened here and a sign of the times I guess. Coincedently a Oz navy ship was also nearby so maybe not full trust yet!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I will agree that there is a trust thing going on with the Oz navy ship there also. But do keep in mind that the Antarctic is neutral territory and no big guns allowed. We had the job of clearing the ice and restocking the Navy facility there because we have no guns on the icebreakers. We also flew to each scientific station and inspected them as part of the treaty. The Russian were always cordial but I don't ever recall there being a Chinese station there. I can't imagine them being interested in anything that would benefit mankind.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150