PCX 125 on the motorway

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Duke82
Year: 2016
Color: black

PCX 125 on the motorway

Post by Duke82 »

Last night i rode over to a friends house, and back this morning and wanted to share my thoughts on the 2017 pcx 125 on 70 MPH+ roads. I have the Givi tall screen and 46ltr top box and oxford heated grips. the bike has 2800 miles on it so far.

Despite riding for 7 years and a good 60,000 miles under my belt, I was apprehensive to take the scoot on such fast open roads, especially in rush hour yesterday evening leaving london. I'm surprised by the scoot, it was more comfortable and with less wind buffering than any of my 12 motorcycles (125-750cc) and it also remained so smooth even at full throttle. The ride wasn't very long with only 35 minutes at full speed each way but it's enough to get an idea of the performance.

the only down side is the horizontal wind blast on exposed sections. the pcx is light so did suffer from side ways wind blasts but i've had larger, heavier motorcycles suffer more.It wasn't scary though, it was just present and less than expected, pretty much like any other motorcycle.

On a long steep uphill gradient i slowed to and indicated 60MPH which was still fast enough to easily pass HGV's in the left lane which slowed down considerably more so than my light scooter (im 68kg).
on flats i could hold between 62-65 indicated speed and the scooter felt smooth and planted and didn't feel dangerous. down hill i could hit indicated 70mph at full throttle and do 65 at ~90% throttle which i opted for to baby the bike where i could

As a motorcycle owner i've not had issues using the 2 125s i've owned on long distance motorway trips, i just leave longer, my vt125 15BHP could do 70mph (80 down hill) and 65 all day long any gradient, my girflriend toured france on her vt 125 twice, i felt secure in the chain and sprocket could cope, but i have no idea about scooter belts. is the high RPM likely to stretch or place a dangerous strain on them? or just wear them out much faster?

Common sense would suggest Honda built in safety limits and the scooter performance is well within spec, like engine limiters for example. and i would expect this to be the same for belt? would i just need to keep an eye on oil consumption as higher revs might burn off engine oil?

over all i have a new found respect for the PCX 125, i wasn't even the slowest thing on the road like when i took my cg 125 on a 64miles motorway trip. i passed several cars and lorries and the pcx was a pleasant and comfortable ride.

computer trip MPG read out dropped from 138 to 124 MPG so if it even gets 100+ thats very good in my book.

I wont be taking the PCX on many motorway trips but i wouldnt' have an issue at all infuture as now i know its capable. the extra 4 BHP available to full power 15BHP 125CCs would be welcome and i presume this is what the forza 125 offers. but if you are happy to travel at 60-65 all day the bike felt just as comfortable as if it was doing 50mph and i wouldn't have an issue riding the scooter again on motorways and other than the reduced speed being a downside, the ride was nicer than any of my motorcycles. the naked bikes were horrible on the motorway, the v-twin cruisers full of vibes over 70 and the sports bikes were full tuck. the adventure bikes were loud (wind buffering) and prone to sideways blasts.

thankfully I didn't need to test the bikes brakes in an emergency, but found that engine braking is very good as the bike will happily drop from full speed down to 50 if you roll off the throttle. This is most of the slowing down required on a flowing motorway. My last observation, is that the throttle cables didn't feel excessively tight. some vehicles dont like being pinned at full throttle and resist or take effort to keep pinned. The pcx throttle still felt smooth and comfortable and light even at full lock.

If the PCX could sit at a comfortable 70mph all day long it would be a vast improvement. but as the ride was so comfortable and relaxed the extra time in the saddle isn't a hardship.
As contect, I was on the M40 heading west out of london, the road is very good smooth tarmac, i think on rough roads at this speed it would be a different story as i have issues with the too firm suspension and small wheels on potholed roads, but on smooth and undulating good conditioned roads the PCX was more than up to the job and i enjoyed the ride.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: PCX 125 on the motorway

Post by gn2 »

Belts wear and the by-product of that wear is a reduced top speed.
As yours is still new, there is no speed reduction but as it wears down there will come a time when you will no longer be able to hit 60mph or overtake lorries, even downhill.
This is where aftermarket transmission parts might be of some help.
As you have 12 other motorcycles available I would suggest using one of them for motorway trips.
You can thrash the PCX at full revs all the time (I did and weigh much more than you) and have no worries about the belt, it will easily last to the change interval.
Its important to use the original belt, aftermarket ones are not made to the same standard.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Duke82
Color: black

Post by Duke82 »

thanks a lot. just to clarify, the 12 motorbikes are previous ones, just showing i have used a lot of motorway miles previously. i'm a scooter convert now. just so smooth!

The info about belt wear is very usefull. being able to tell when it is wearing is vitaly important for me. really appreciated :D
DanFromVegas
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by DanFromVegas »

I have never seen belt wear do anything to top speed. My Yamaha 250 broke its belt at 70mph, fast lane of a Los Angeles freeway. It was a non-event. Engine running but no thrust. Got towed to a nearby dealer. Paid the same if I had done it as preventive maintenance. It could be an issue if there was no dealer nearby.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You must be unique.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have seen cases of other members having problems when their belt shredded because they pushed it beyond recommended miles. In other cases, there are quite a few members who can tell you as a fact that the top end is affected by belt wear. In fact, when my wife's bike hit 10,000 miles we knew it was time to change the belt because her bike could no longer keep up with mine at top end, and we both have pcx 150s. Mine was purchased a year after hers, so our miles were different. Otherwise they are identical.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:You must be unique.
Speshul
mowzertron
Year: 2014
Color: Brown

Post by mowzertron »

I traveled six junctions on the M1, when I first purchased scooter and had to bring it home. It wasn't too bad but not my idea of fun though.

Got a little boring and on one occasions I started to pass a HGV but had to drop back as we reached an incline. I preferred to just ride in the slow lane, with a reasonable distance behind a lorry and use it for some wind protection. Twisty 40-50mph are a little more suitable for the PCX.
u33db
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015

Post by u33db »

Hmmm its one thing to say the bike is comfortable on motorways but its really all dependant on the terrain, weather and mentality of the local population I think.

I think gn2 is near me? (Aberdeen) and if I was to mention the A96 to him I would imagine he'd agree the PCX is not the bike to use on that road. Its relatively hilly and although the speed limit is 70 people regularly drive in excess of 90+. Put it like this I take my 200bhp car some days and I've had people undertaking me in that AT SPEED...its proper "Days of Thunder" stuff...no way would I take a 125 on that road!

Its really a city bike IMO.

For motorway work you need a bigger engine - being able to do the speed limit is one thing, but need to extra power to get out of trouble and some weight behind you IMO.
Malossi 10.5g rollers
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Malossi yellow variator spring
HJC wind screen
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I don't do north of Aberdeen any more, used to work at Inverurie sometimes when I had the PCX and always used the back roads and never once rode it along the A96.
The PCX is totally unsuited to major roads.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

u33db wrote:Hmmm its one thing to say the bike is comfortable on motorways but its really all dependant on the terrain, weather and mentality of the local population I think.

I think gn2 is near me? (Aberdeen) and if I was to mention the A96 to him I would imagine he'd agree the PCX is not the bike to use on that road. Its relatively hilly and although the speed limit is 70 people regularly drive in excess of 90+. Put it like this I take my 200bhp car some days and I've had people undertaking me in that AT SPEED...its proper "Days of Thunder" stuff...no way would I take a 125 on that road!

Its really a city bike IMO.

For motorway work you need a bigger engine - being able to do the speed limit is one thing, but need to extra power to get out of trouble and some weight behind you IMO.

If people are undertaking you are in the wrong lane and travelling too slowly. Stop pissing people off and blaming others.
u33db
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by u33db »

The particular incident i was referring to was when I was doing 90+ so hardly going slowly mate!

Trust me people are lunatics on that road, there isn't a day goes past there isn't some kind of accident or incident.

Its only dual carridgeway as well.
Malossi 10.5g rollers
HJC wind screen
u33db
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by u33db »

gn2 wrote:I don't do north of Aberdeen any more, used to work at Inverurie sometimes when I had the PCX and always used the back roads and never once rode it along the A96.
The PCX is totally unsuited to major roads.
That might be the way I come into town, via Hatton of Fintray or over via Westhill/Blackburn?
Malossi 10.5g rollers
HJC wind screen
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

u33db wrote:The particular incident i was referring to was when I was doing 90+ so hardly going slowly mate!

Trust me people are lunatics on that road, there isn't a day goes past there isn't some kind of accident or incident.

Its only dual carridgeway as well.

So if you were approaching 100mph on a dual carriageway you can't really complain about the other drivers...?
u33db
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by u33db »

I can...its not like i'm going too slowly or realistically holding anyone up at that sort of speed.

In understand your point though - if i'm beyond a legal speed i'm maybe not best placed to criticise other peoples driving.

Legal or not and my occasional foolishness i'm just highlighting "the norm" of motoring on that road...no way could you take a 125 on there and be safe.
Malossi 10.5g rollers
HJC wind screen
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

u33db wrote:no way could you take a 125 on there and be safe.
With idiots in 200hp cages doing 90+mph, no-one is safe. :roll:
BUT, even if everyone stuck to the speed limit a PCX is a rolling roadblock and that is just no good at all.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
u33db wrote:no way could you take a 125 on there and be safe.
With idiots in 200hp cages doing 90+mph, no-one is safe. :roll:
BUT, even if everyone stuck to the speed limit a PCX is a rolling roadblock and that is just no good at all.

Never had an accident but seen thousands :D :D :lol:
Hax

Post by Hax »

I treat my PCX as my commuter bike (which it excels at)and haven't attempted using it on the motorway. I still have memories of using an MZ 250 on motorways for a period of about 6 months after my GS550 chop was bounced down the road by a careless car driver (I bounced down the other side of the road!). I don't remember the 250 being particularly enjoyable on the M5!