My PCX and bike history

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

My PCX and bike history

Post by Robbie »

Had the PCX for a year now but never posted any pictures. Need to take a few more really and I will update the thread as I do anything to the bike. Had quite a few bikes over 30 years riding including a few 125's in my younger days, GPZ750A1, FZR600, GSXR750WW and Yamaha R6. Will dig out some pictures of earlier bikes, but need to scan as they are before digital cameras became the norm.

This PCX picture was taken in 2016 just after I had done a strip down and rebuild, so it's nice and clean.

Used it for the last year to get to and from work through all weathers and I am just going over the bike again. Paint is peeling on the belt cover and a little bubbling on the fork legs, so I need to respray these bits.

Has a Givi tall screen and Oxford heated grips. I also use bar muffs in winter and my hands stay nice and toasty and dry without using huge winter gloves.

My PCX replaced a Longjia 125 that I had for 2 years. Bought as a non-runner (only 1,000 miles and 18 months old) as it had been sat for a while. Just needed a carb clean so I got a bargain. Sold it when I bought the PCX.

Also in the garage is my Fireblade which I bought in 2008. Not used an awful lot just recently, but I still love it and can't bring myself to sell. Picture was taken in Poland a few years ago on a trip with some friends. We stayed a night in Colditz castle which was interesting. They are still finding stuff the prisoners hid in the building. Bike has been cleaned up since and it's still in nice condition.

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: My PCX and bike history

Post by Mel46 »

Oh what I would give for one more ride on a good bike!....but my doctor and my wife both say no, so my PCX 150 is the best replacement I could find. It is nimble, and runs great. I changed the seats on both of our PCX 150s and the shocks, and these changes made a world of difference. I also have the tall windshield on each. Riding is fun, as long as I remember that these bikes can't pass other vehicles as easily as the bigger bikes can, so I have to be patient. They also don't stop as quickly, something my wife and I learned the hard way in 2015. Still, they are great little scooters for what they were intended for, which is in town riding and back country roads.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Robbie »

Justvuse minenfor town riding Mel. I find its a bit slow for riding out in the countryside and prefer something quicker thatvcan keep up with traffic.

So I took the PCX in to Honda for the recall on the top box. They noted that the clutch bearing was slightly noisy when the wheel was turned, so I compared it to a new pcx they had in the showroom. Mine was slightly noisier, but really not that bad compared to some I have heard. Took the clutch off at the weekend and repacked the bearing with grease which hasn't made a great deal of difference.

I took the opportunity to clean the clutch bell as it was full of clutch dust. Any judder has completely gone and it sets off smooth as silk now. Well pleased.

Will keep an eye on the bearing and replace if it gets any worse. For anyone else in the UK looking for Honda to replace the bearing, I was quoted about £150.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That is probably about right, though here in the United States the part assembly is easy to replace as apposed to just the bearings. I think the assembly is around $30. Multiple members have replaced the assembly themselves. Hopefully one of the UK members will be able to fill you in on it more.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Robbie »

Just thought the price might be useful for anyone contemplating getting Honda to replace it. To be honest if mine needs replacing I will order the assembly from over your side of the pond and replace it myself. Should have just bought the assembly as I did most of the work regreasing the bearing :D

To be fair, I quite enjoy tinkering with the bike.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Robbie wrote:To be fair, I quite enjoy tinkering with the bike.
Me too! can't wait for something to need fixing :lol: I keep the assembly on hand as there was a shortage of those for a while when the bad ones were failing. As far as I know I might have purchased a bad one.