Fram short filter

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Douge

Fram short filter

Post by Douge »

I just bought a New Fram oil filter for my 2014 Forza 300. It is shorter than the last Fram filter I bought. Anyone else have this happen? The Filter is a PH6017A. I have contacted Fram and they are looking into it.
Attachments
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (159.02 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Fram short filter

Post by you you »

So you have two unused filters and one is taller than the other? What is the unchanged one one the bike like?

Ffs
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I would go with the taller.. Probably more filter area and easier removal. Does it matter probably not.I think the taller also gets it out of the recess and better for wrenching access /removal
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

It's good that you spotted that. With all the sourcing and resourcing of parts around the world now I wonder if they were both made from the same factory. . .or in the same country for that matter. Another thing is that FRAM may have consolidated their fitment with their products to apply to a broader number of applications without increasing the actual array of unique product designs. Just guessing and I would be quite concerned if it were me. Let us know what you find out. I'm still on the fence between a Forza or PCX but leaning towards the PCX. There's a dealer within 50 miles of where I live that's still showing a leftover 2015 for $4,999.

In the past when I've bought filters for my motorcycles the aftermarket ones (like EMGO) have always matched the OEM filters in size and fit. 8)
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

As long as the diameter and the threads are the same it won't make that much difference. Obviously the shorter one won't hold as much oil.
I prefer to use genuine filters as they are usually better quality.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Many times the only difference in OEM and aftermarket is the paint job.HONDA doesn't make oil filters, someone else does...Could be FRAM.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Manufacturers do use makers of OEM parts but the specification of components used can be different.
This is really obvious in manufacturers tyre specs.
Pirelli for example produce a standard tyre of various sizes, but they also make different compounds for different companies.
E.g. A Mercedes compound would have MO on the sidewall, Porsche have N1, N2 etc, Audi and BMW have their own as well.
Its the same with filters etc.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Generally a warranty is provided by most reliable manufacturers. If so , you can be confident the specs are equal or better than OEM.Fram as an example is a big name in the aftermarket manufacture of filters and parts and I have yet to ever hear of any oil filter related failures. Many feel the same about motor oil and lubricants.. It sometimes can be psychological and for many that feeling of confidence works better than the products.. Tires are a wearable item and I believe they are generally purchased with type of usage and have more variables as to design, wear , purpose , etc..I just don't think you have too much to worry about on this type of motor and lubrication system. Now on a Ferrari, perhaps I might feel differently..
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Maybe the manufacturer worked out how to get the same amount of filtration from a slightly shorter filter while improving oil pressure?
Douge

Post by Douge »

I sent a claim to Fram and they said the short one is the newest one. The taller one was having clearance problems with some applications.
markcap
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by markcap »

Another option for the Forza...

Hiflowfiltro HF204

Find them at Amazon as an add on item.
Markcap
2016 PCX--Dark Candy Red
2016 Forza--Pearl Red