Security

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Security

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Hi PCX'ers,
Just got this from Lockitt co. it's an ABUS max security chain 8ft noose chain, 12mm square links, core hardened possibly Boron alloy. The great feature is the noose which is a 14mm thick ring enabling you to pass the chain around a solid object such as a post or pillar. It's a bit too big for carrying around but great for home use which was my primary concern having no garage. I paired it with an Oxford BOSS alarmed disc lock with a 14mm boron alloy steel shackle, this I can carry around with me for some measure of portable security and with an alarm feature. The chain was $179.00 and the lock $109.00, more than I wanted to spend, but no price on resting easy at night either. I was wondering what you all have for securing your scooters here? It would also serve as a decent resource for those contemplating similar measures but unsure of what to buy.
oxford boss.jpg
oxford boss.jpg (31.28 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
Attachments
abus noose.jpg
abus noose.jpg (120.89 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Security

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Ooops, forgot to mention I'm not running the stock brake rotor just so ya knows. I doubt the boss could fit the stocker.
My PCX mod build here..
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Great post!

Thanks for the info. . .

I've been using a Kryptonite Cable lock for years because they are light enough to carry around and long enough to snake through frames and then around anchors. There are all kinds of theories as to chain vs cable vs disc lock etc. . .. I had considered a "Bully Lock" alarm system if I got a new one https://bullylocks.com/alarm-locks/alar ... pager.html
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Wow never knew about the bully, thanks, and what a great idea and it has a pager too. See, learned something already.
My PCX mod build here..
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

The steering lock isn't enough? You must live in a terrible place, where men would lift scooters!
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

grndslm wrote:The steering lock isn't enough? You must live in a terrible place, where men would lift scooters!
Just about any decent size city will have that type of inhabitant somewhere. Fort Lauderdale to Miami is one vast metropolis, the population of South Florida is 6.7 million, thus many vehicular thieves are likely scattered about. Better safe than sorry
My PCX mod build here..
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

If I had a concern I would use a GPS tracker hidden. It costs a yearly service fee but if the bike is moved it calls your cellphone immediately . There are free apps however if you hunt a little. You can track its location on map program app on your phone.You can also use a proximity sensor that sends a signal if anyone is within 5 ft of the bike. Its range adjustable . Openness and visibility are important if you use a chain. Remember, a professional can use a quickie saw and get through any lock /chain in a minute or two. Its a deterrent for the kids though.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

My Forza is so ugly no one would steal it around here.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by Smaug »

Woo, that's a lot of bread for a lock. I didn't know Fort Lauderdale was such a dicey neighborhood!

I'm lucky that I hardly ever ride anywhere dangerous enough that I need supplementary locking for my bike. You remind me though, I'm thinking of going to a Chicago rally soon, and to a layman, my bike is MUCH more attractive than a 50 year-old Vespa.
-Jeremy
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Just peace of mind, no price on sleep. Nothings impossible to crack but they'd make some noise doing it
My PCX mod build here..
Scotty1981
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Scotty1981 »

This chain and lock looks very nice but super expensive and I'm worried about chains damaging things, still debating chain or cable.

https://youtu.be/4JgEfZzaRtw
Scotty1981

Post by Scotty1981 »

Also thinking of forgoing chain or cable and just getting an alarmed disc lock.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion

Post by Cube »

Just ordered the kryptonite fahgettaboudit lock and 5' chain combo, hopefully will be sufficient to cause them to pick on someone else
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

That's expensive. I use this https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... 95EALw_wcB for the odd times that I need to chain the bike to something. Better to stipulate on your insurance that you don't chain your bike up. There's hardly a difference in the premium.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Beautiful lock AND chain! Do keep in mind that some of the members have mentioned thieves just lifting the bike and carrying it to a waiting van, so chain it to something.
I haven't been to any location that would make me worry about theft while I am out riding, but at home it would be unattended during the night. That would be the time to worry.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

I have a £25 wifi camera watching my bike all night long, recording and sending alerts to my phone.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Mel46 wrote:Beautiful lock AND chain! Do keep in mind that some of the members have mentioned thieves just lifting the bike and carrying it to a waiting van, so chain it to something.
I haven't been to any location that would make me worry about theft while I am out riding, but at home it would be unattended during the night. That would be the time to worry.
Yeah Mel,
thats why I got the slip ring with 8' of chain. Theres a strong fence on top of a concrete wall, I chain that to the swingarm in front of the engine with the Boss lock.
My PCX mod build here..
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion

Post by Cube »

I got the 14mm chain, which also doubles as an anchor. :P
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Mister Paul wrote:That's expensive. I use this https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... 95EALw_wcB for the odd times that I need to chain the bike to something. Better to stipulate on your insurance that you don't chain your bike up. There's hardly a difference in the premium.
Unless SBS have made a mistake, the longer that chain you select, the cheaper it is! (2m is £31 inc delivery and free return!)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Vehicle security....

I worked once at a psych hospital as a veteran co-therapist - was walking with a Vietnam veteran down to breakfast one morning, and he glanced out the front door to see that his souped-up Nova was still unmolested by the neighborhood thugs. He'd lost two batteries so far.

"Figured it was OK, 'cause nothing woke me last night." He said.

We were finishing our coffee in the dining room and I asked him about his comment, "Put an alarm on it, did you?"

"Sort of. Wired a grenade under the hood."

Well, I finished my coffee and stubbed out my cigarette dam quick and said, "let's swing by the nurses station and sign you out for a little morning walk."

He wasn't kidding.

He was a recipient of a Silver Star, but that kind of stuff won't fly back here in the World.

Good memories...

Stig