Anyone have experience with HJC Symax III Helmet?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Anyone have experience with HJC Symax III Helmet?

Post by PCX150Rider »

So I'm thinkin a new HJC Symax III in Hi-Viz Yellow. . .

But wondered if anyone here has had experience with them.

My concern is fit and overall quality. From what I understand so far they fit a bit lose to allow for the chin piece to swivel up and down and they are more suitable for an upright posture while riding which is what I would need. Also I've read that the return spring for the sunglasses has been improved so it doesn't snap back quite so harsh anymore.
SyMaxIII.jpg
SyMaxIII.jpg (104.79 KiB) Viewed 2267 times
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Re: Anyone have experience with HJC Symax III Helmet?

Post by 87112 »

I use to have the Symax II. I now use a HJC IS MAX 2. I think its a better purchase as I found some places selling it for half the Symax's prices. I got mine for half off locally and ebay has some killer deals too.
:geek:
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VLpIwSqDdU

Looks great! I would make sure a Sena can fit up without issue and I notice only one tab on the visor. Some single one sided tab visors have trouble making the last detent without pressure from both sides or you might be a south paw and it doesn't come natural. Modular's are handy and very functional for cruising and scooters. Personally I've gone back to full face for aerodynamics and noise reduction. But I don't smoke, drink or even talk to people outside of the helmet like WhiteNoise... he's a big cigar enthusiast with a cup holder and better social tendencies 8)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I ended up ordering the SyMax III in Silver. They didn't have the Hi Viz Yellow in my size where I wanted to buy it. It was on a "Close-out" sale and I saved almost 20% off so color became less important. I can always get a Hi Viz reflective vest later on or put some reflective stickers on it. Nearly bought the Shoei Quest but for the difference in price I was able to get a couple of sweatshirts and a CVT holding tool and still come out $50 ahead of the game. The HJC is DOT rated and the Shoei Quest was SNELL rated. But the Shoei wasn't modular. . .although a very nice helmet for $400. But for about $150 less the SyMax III will do the job. . ..

Since I own a vintage large size HJC CL-5 open face helmet I ordered a large Symax III. Fingers crossed the SyMax III dimensions and fit will be true to the sizing chart and fit me as comfortably as the old CL-5 does . . ..
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Thread moved to Add-ons - Gear.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thanks for putting this thread in the right place. . .I'm still getting use to the Forum structure.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Thanks for putting this thread in the right place. . .I'm still getting use to the Forum structure.

There's a structure?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VLpIwSqDdU

I don't smoke, drink or even talk to people outside of the helmet like WhiteNoise... he's a big cigar enthusiast with a cup holder and better social tendencies 8)
Waiting for my homies to come around ;)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (71.57 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

:lol: :lol: :lol: took you long enough... I think you read every thread eventually :D
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

One month review. . .great helmet. Performs and fits as advertised.

When closing chin/shield keep fingers free so you don't get pinched.

The pop down sun shields are nice to have and have three stage settings for fit. . .basically the first one works fine for me. If I put it on the lowest one it may interfere with bridge of my nose. Not all noses are alike. :lol:

Nice wide viewing area. Plenty of room under chin. . .will have to see how that works out in winter. . .but my gut tells me it won't be a problem. . .the chin vent helps reduce fogging.

The liner and pads are comfortable. Not interested in Blue Tooth device right now but it is Blue Tooth ready with a compartment on the side.

The silver finish is quality and probably makes me look like Woody Allen from the movie "Sleeper" riding down the road. :lol:
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

I was looking at that one in hi-viz. I read the user reviews on revzilla and amazon, and it seems they start to fall apart a little too soon?

I looked at Nolans too, but they have their complaints too, which they shouldn't for over $400.

I wound up forgoing the modular feature I wanted and went with an Arai Vector II in hi-viz. Hi-viz was the main reason I was going for a new helmet. My trusty $50 HJC CL-15 is fine otherwise. I had a Shoei RF-800 before, it was great. The shield action was SO much better than the HJCs I've had recently. I looked again at Shoei, but they don't seem to have any proper hi-viz; just regular old yellow, which won't match my jacket.

We'll see how she goes.
-Jeremy
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Due to the different head sizes and configurations some brands may fit you better than others. It's a very personal purchase and one really has to get what works for them. One size surely does not fit all. Good luck with that new Arai. Checking out the different product offerings and doing some consumer research is always a good idea.

So far my SyMax III helmet is working out OK. No buyer's remorse. I was looking for a good helmet at a fair price. . .nothing fancy. ;)

Pros - fit as well as the same size HJC I got in an old open face model I purchased years ago (and still have). Overall good modular helmet. Worth it's price. The chin bar action gives a resounding clunk to let you know you've got it shut all the way. The drop down sun glasses (shade) works really well. . .first setting is fine. . .retracts with the push of a button effortlessly. Venting is certainly adequate.

Nits - the liner truly is easy to remove for cleaning. That being said sometimes I have to reattach the liner along the forehead area after I take the helmet off. . .especially if it's a really hot day (still breaking it in and the pads need time to configure). No big deal. . .it is comfortable. The chin bar can be a bit clunky and you have to make sure you use it correctly but does the job.

One does pay a chunk of change more for a Shoei or Arai quality helmet. . .so at the end of the day it comes down to how much you want to spend and how you define your needs. 8)