35 year old disabled man loving his PCX. Intro topic.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ReptilesBlade
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

35 year old disabled man loving his PCX. Intro topic.

Post by ReptilesBlade »

Hello everyone!

My ride: http://imgur.com/3mHD5fO

I have wanted a motorcycle, and specifically a Honda scooter since I was a kid. My wife suddenly decided to throw me and our marriage away to get back together with her old High School flame. So I stopped living for other people and have started fully enjoying my own life. After a long journey I bought my 2016 Honda PCX last April and it is everything I had dreamed and more. You can get an idea of how I settled on that model by reading these two reddit topics if you are interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/co ... h=07785ea0

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/co ... h=89042ebd

The benefits the PCX have brought to my life have been profound. Riding it is excellent therapy. If I start to feel depressed from all the BS my wife put me through an hour on the PCX fixes it completely. Being disabled riding the PCX is awesome physical exercise and it helps me keep in shape, I have lost over 20 lbs just from enjoying extended rides. I have also always had problems going out in the heat. If I am in 85+ temperatures for longer than a couple of minutes I risk a heart attack. Because of the PCX I learned about these new cooling vests. They are made of a special material that after submerged in water act like an old swamp cooler and will keep you cool while you ride on a hot day. I have learned when I couple this with my cars AC the vest get super cooled. Long story short I can now be out in 110 degree temperatures for up to 10 minutes with absolutely no risk to my health. This alone is life altering and makes the PCX worth every penny I pay for it.

I could easily go on but I think you get my point. This single purchase has revolutionized how I live and enjoy my life.

In just about a year I have already put 4100 miles on this machine. Not bad for my first year of riding.

Based on my overwhelmingly positive experience I have decided to take this one step further and I will also use the PCX for motorcycle touring. My eventual goal is to take trips up to Canada and to Mexico. And of course the USA itself. I have come to the realization that it is fully capable of doing everything I would require. This epiphany was fueled by watching many YouTube videos of people already doing it. One in particular has been a favorite of mine, a gent named Ed Marsh has traveled the entire world on his Honda c90 Super Cub. My 150cc PCX is vastly superior to his c90 even in it's stock form. Touring is very popular with Vespa owners as well and there are many who have thousands of miles logged through many different countries mostly on 50-200cc machines.

There are multiple reasons for my decision. The primary factors of its design of light weight and easiness to ride that motivated me to purchase it in the first place very much come into play as well. I already know I can handle the bike in a situation where I might grow weak and lose strength at minimum long enough to safely get to someplace where I can recover. And of course the ridiculous amounts of storage space on it would be as beneficial for this as the 100 mpg I get when riding.

I do want to make a few modifications to the PCX first before I fully do this. I have already located some insulated saddlebags for the bike that will cost almost nothing. That and maybe a better hiking backpack will easily provide me with all the storage space I could possibly need. I might also consider heated hand-grips.Transmission upgrades for the PCX that will get me another 5mph out of it up to a top speed of 70mph without affecting the acceleration are also planned in the near future.

So here are the few questions I have.

How long will the tires last? And are there any recommendations for my next set of tires?

I am thinking of variator, rollers, and belt performance upgrades. I also want new rear shocks. Should I also upgrade the front shocks as well? And can anyone make recommendations for specifically what parts I should by and where to get them? I live in Missouri USA if that matters.

And finally. What has your experience been with your PCX? How has it improved your life?
MayHem
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Re: 35 year old disabled man loving his PCX. Intro topic.

Post by MayHem »

Hi, It's good to hear how much joy such a simple thing can bring to your life! My PCX150, my wifes and my brothers all bring us great joy with the possibilities of parking in a coastal town with very limited parking and ease of navigating through traffic when the holiday crowds arrive. We are all avid surfers and with a surfboard rack installed the PCX's are a godsend for being able to get to the surf break quickly, easily and most importantly being able to park without the usual shit fight.

Keep on enjoying, they are a splendid machine and I would not swap it for anything unless of course we frequented highways more often which we have no need.

As for recommendations, I am unable to help much. Rear shocks though I'd be looking YSS brand.

Cheers
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

A good read ....congratulations… But there's no way with my PCX I would be on any type of interstate highway for any amount of time. The bike is just too small. It's a great 40 mile an hour machine, it's not meant to be up in the 60s and 70s a substantial amount of time. Feel free to review the 40 some odd mods I made on my bike, in the link, in my signature.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Congratulations and welcome, ReptilesBlade.

I think you made a smart choice with the PCX, especially over one of the Vespas, which in my experience are way overpriced and not nearly as dependable. You can look through the topics on this forum and find lots of info and tips on accessories and maintenance for your new ride.

I'd make a couple of suggestions, strictly IMHO, at this point: First, enjoy riding and touring as much as you want without fear of breaking down. These scoots are stone reliable. But do plan on staying off of the freeway. As JGE64 said, the superslab is not really the optimum place for the PCX.

Which brings me to my second (again, strictly IMHO) suggestion: Leave the clutch and rollers alone until you wear out whatcha got already, which will be quite a ways down the road. The stock Honda stuff is super-reliable and you can keep that money in your pocket until you get a better picture of how you want to spend it. You will begin to notice that the clutch/rear wheel growls a little when you push the bike around the driveway. That's normal for the PCX and one of its very few mechanical issues, so there are several threads and lots of opinions here on how to make it not do that anymore. You shop and compare, as they say.

Anyway, welcome again and please stay on board and let us know how it's going..

Johnny

ps: Have you noticed that Spring is just around the corner? Yaaay!
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
DanFromVegas
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by DanFromVegas »

Welcome to the world of two wheeled bliss! Don't listen to anyone who says "I wouldn't" or "you shouldn't". I have ridden thousands of miles on small bikes and scooters. Many people have been coast to coast on 150s. I highly recommend the Aerostich catalog. Even if you don't buy anything, it is a great source of information. Montliz44 is correct. Don't modify the Honda stuff unless you determine that you really need the mod. All changes come at a cost.

Next, read Lois on the Loose. A book by Lois Pryce. She shipped her Yamaha XT225 from London to Anchorage. Then she rode it to Tierra del Fuego! By herself!!! This 5'2" British woman has more balls than anyone I have ever met.

Of course the Interstate is not what these are designed to do, but they can do it if needed. I rode mine from a San Francisco suburb to Las Vegas the day I bought it! :) I did spend the night in Bakersfield when it got too cold.

Those cooling vests are great! They also sell bandanas with filler that you soak. Also, on really hot days you can soak your helmet liner with water at a gas station. As the water drips and evaporates it will keep you cool.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Wow. . .I think you have accurately expressed the huge level of fulfillment and enjoyment that a lot of people experience when they first get into scooters or motorcycles. It is a real adventure and at the end of the day life is about the experiences (as "Pop" would say in the movie "Grumpy Old Men"). It's great to see someone find their way through a pile of B.S. and come out smelling like a rose. Makes me think of the Doors, "Break on through". . .

Good luck to you and I'm sure you will find this forum a great resource for upgrade and technical information.

Things change as we go through life and we have to adjust and adapt. Considering your challenges it sounds to me like you are doing things with safety as a priority. ATGATT as they say. . . :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Glad you are enjoying it. Everyone should have one on prescription.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

8) What an entrance! Big welcome to you and to your present/future outlook on "Living la Vida Loca!"
Sounds like YOU found a better life. So good choice(s) mate! Rolling on a PCX will keep you grinning till yer face hurts 8) Truth!

Glad to hear Rocky roads are Smoothin' out :P "Be You" Always ~ Ride Safe Always

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Welcome, Hondas are great :)

I've been tempted to go touring on backroads myself and that would be a LOT of fun.

But as others have said, the PCX is not a great vehicle for touring on the freeways. Even if you modify the engine, there are still the suspension and the brakes (which are designed for a max of around 60 mph), so emergency handling would not be any kind of fun.
DanFromVegas
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Black

Post by DanFromVegas »

ATGATT, all the gear all the time. Great sentiment but reality is a little different. I'm a most of the gear most of the time kind of rider. You could suit up with an airbag equipped full race set of leathers or shorts and flip-flops. The best/worst feature of any helmet is fit. My first really good helmet was an Arai. Little did I know, I don't have an Arai shaped head. The other top brand that fits me is Shoei. I like a flip-up chin bar. The Neotec is what I usually wear. Scorpion is a lower priced brand that fits my head shape. My wife actually preferred the lower priced house brand from Cycle Gear, Bilt. Gloves are also a must. Even at 25mph, hands don't fare well on pavement. It is instinctive but when we fall we put out our palms. On really hot days, mechanic type gloves will still offer surprising protection.

It has been said before but dress for the crash. If you do that every time you should be fine.

All of this is just my opinion. I've been riding for almost 50 years and I'm still at it. ;D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Whatever happened to Skuta?
riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by riding@100mpg »

I have had my pcx150 for a little over a year with about 2500 miles and love it. Some long trips and would have no doubts about touring on it. But,it's doesn't feel safe on an interstate. I wouldn't modify the running gear until it needs it either. Some complain about the rear shocks but I think a seat pad would help a lot. Enjoy the ride and pick back roads,more fun anyway. Keep us posted with pictures and stories. Welcome
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If you choose to do touring on your PCX, do like my wife and I did. We took back roads. Plan it out and take the easy ride rather than the hard one. Riding on the freeways is a bear on a PCX. It is just too light, and there is nothing left if you need to get out of someone's way. The back roads give you a chance to really see things. You don't have your location in your profile, so I will speak as though you are in the United States. There are a few others who have taken their PCX across the United States, but those were well planned and they were a bit younger than most of us. Prepare by slowly extending your ride. That way you won't get too exhausted. We (my wife and I each have a PCX) took ours on a 5 state circular run several times and it was tiring. Consider doing that to test yourself. If you can't make it further than that, enjoy what you CAN do with it. There are a lot of back roads in America.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Shout Out to ReptilesBlade, in Missouri...how ya doing? You haven't posted on our forums since 3/27. Everything okay?
Please check-in...else we might have to head a posse your way via PCX 'n Forza :)
Seriously, come on back and catch up ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
ReptilesBlade

Post by ReptilesBlade »

WhiteNoise wrote:Shout Out to ReptilesBlade, in Missouri...how ya doing? You haven't posted on our forums since 3/27. Everything okay?
Please check-in...else we might have to head a posse your way via PCX 'n Forza :)
Seriously, come on back and catch up ;)
I will sorry. I got really busy riding. Multiple responses form me incoming.

:D

Send the guys anyway. Then I will have some riding buddies!
ReptilesBlade

Post by ReptilesBlade »

MayHem wrote:Hi, It's good to hear how much joy such a simple thing can bring to your life! My PCX150, my wifes and my brothers all bring us great joy with the possibilities of parking in a coastal town with very limited parking and ease of navigating through traffic when the holiday crowds arrive. We are all avid surfers and with a surfboard rack installed the PCX's are a godsend for being able to get to the surf break quickly, easily and most importantly being able to park without the usual shit fight.

Keep on enjoying, they are a splendid machine and I would not swap it for anything unless of course we frequented highways more often which we have no need.

As for recommendations, I am unable to help much. Rear shocks though I'd be looking YSS brand.

Cheers
Thanks for the shock brand recommendation. I will see what kind of option they have. I will definitely have to upgrade the shocks before I do any really long distance riding just so it doesn't kill my bad (I have arthritis in my lower back).

I am glad to hear I am not the only one whose life has been improved so much by these machines.

Fun story. My virtually brand new car started having transmission trouble Wednesday night. It's in the shop since then. The PCX has saved my ass, it's the only way I have to get around until I can get the car fixed tomorrow or Tuesday. It was certainly not a bad idea to buy this PCX.
ReptilesBlade

Post by ReptilesBlade »

Jge64 wrote:A good read ....congratulations… But there's no way with my PCX I would be on any type of interstate highway for any amount of time. The bike is just too small. It's a great 40 mile an hour machine, it's not meant to be up in the 60s and 70s a substantial amount of time. Feel free to review the 40 some odd mods I made on my bike, in the link, in my signature.
I agree. I usually only take it on the interstate for brief sub 5 miles trips if I have to. When I tour I intend on taking back roads and very old highways mostly in the 45-60 mph range.
montliz44 wrote:Congratulations and welcome, ReptilesBlade.

I think you made a smart choice with the PCX, especially over one of the Vespas, which in my experience are way overpriced and not nearly as dependable. You can look through the topics on this forum and find lots of info and tips on accessories and maintenance for your new ride.

I'd make a couple of suggestions, strictly IMHO, at this point: First, enjoy riding and touring as much as you want without fear of breaking down. These scoots are stone reliable. But do plan on staying off of the freeway. As JGE64 said, the superslab is not really the optimum place for the PCX.

Which brings me to my second (again, strictly IMHO) suggestion: Leave the clutch and rollers alone until you wear out whatcha got already, which will be quite a ways down the road. The stock Honda stuff is super-reliable and you can keep that money in your pocket until you get a better picture of how you want to spend it. You will begin to notice that the clutch/rear wheel growls a little when you push the bike around the driveway. That's normal for the PCX and one of its very few mechanical issues, so there are several threads and lots of opinions here on how to make it not do that anymore. You shop and compare, as they say.

Anyway, welcome again and please stay on board and let us know how it's going..

Johnny

ps: Have you noticed that Spring is just around the corner? Yaaay!
See above. I generally avoid taking the PCX on roads above 60 mph.

I will take your recommendation of holding off on the transmission upgrades. But I do need to upgrade those rear shocks before I do any really long distance riding on it. As it is starts to make my back hurt after about 100-120 miles.

I will keep an eye out for that growling sound. Thanks for the warning.

Otherwise it's going great. I love this machine. It's brought so many good things to my life.
DanFromVegas wrote:Welcome to the world of two wheeled bliss! Don't listen to anyone who says "I wouldn't" or "you shouldn't". I have ridden thousands of miles on small bikes and scooters. Many people have been coast to coast on 150s. I highly recommend the Aerostich catalog. Even if you don't buy anything, it is a great source of information. Montliz44 is correct. Don't modify the Honda stuff unless you determine that you really need the mod. All changes come at a cost.

Next, read Lois on the Loose. A book by Lois Pryce. She shipped her Yamaha XT225 from London to Anchorage. Then she rode it to Tierra del Fuego! By herself!!! This 5'2" British woman has more balls than anyone I have ever met.

Of course the Interstate is not what these are designed to do, but they can do it if needed. I rode mine from a San Francisco suburb to Las Vegas the day I bought it! :) I did spend the night in Bakersfield when it got too cold.

Those cooling vests are great! They also sell bandanas with filler that you soak. Also, on really hot days you can soak your helmet liner with water at a gas station. As the water drips and evaporates it will keep you cool.
Thanks for the welcome! So glad to be one of you guys. I get waves from everyone on all types of motorcycles on this PCX.

Fun story. I took the bike on a 20 mile trip to visit my family for Easter. Everyone said I was crazy for taking the PCX that far. Fuck em. I had a blast. These are the same people that stopped me from getting a Reflex or Elite 12 years ago. I have learned that their opinions are generally asinine and always irrelevant.

I will look at that Aerostich catalog and that book. Thanks for the recommendations. I will also look into those bandanas and keep the water idea in mind. I may need to do that in the future. I don't plan to upgrade anything on the PCX except the shocks in the near future.
ReptilesBlade

Post by ReptilesBlade »

PCX150Rider wrote:Wow. . .I think you have accurately expressed the huge level of fulfillment and enjoyment that a lot of people experience when they first get into scooters or motorcycles. It is a real adventure and at the end of the day life is about the experiences (as "Pop" would say in the movie "Grumpy Old Men"). It's great to see someone find their way through a pile of B.S. and come out smelling like a rose. Makes me think of the Doors, "Break on through". . .

Good luck to you and I'm sure you will find this forum a great resource for upgrade and technical information.

Things change as we go through life and we have to adjust and adapt. Considering your challenges it sounds to me like you are doing things with safety as a priority. ATGATT as they say. . . :D
I loved "Grumpy old Men". I really need to re-watch that.

I am sure this forum will be a valuable resource for information for me.

Yeah. As I often tell people I bought the PCX to enjoy it, not kill myself on it. I am virtually always fully geared up when I ride and if I think I am not in top condition for any reason I won't touch the bike. I am hell bent on still riding this PCX 10-20+ years form now.

you you wrote:Glad you are enjoying it. Everyone should have one on prescription.
I agree. One of the best things I have bought in my life.
WhiteNoise wrote:8) What an entrance! Big welcome to you and to your present/future outlook on "Living la Vida Loca!"
Sounds like YOU found a better life. So good choice(s) mate! Rolling on a PCX will keep you grinning till yer face hurts 8) Truth!

Glad to hear Rocky roads are Smoothin' out :P "Be You" Always ~ Ride Safe Always

Thanks man.
DailyRider wrote:Welcome, Hondas are great :)

I've been tempted to go touring on backroads myself and that would be a LOT of fun.

But as others have said, the PCX is not a great vehicle for touring on the freeways. Even if you modify the engine, there are still the suspension and the brakes (which are designed for a max of around 60 mph), so emergency handling would not be any kind of fun.
I mostly enjoy sticking to 35-60 mph roads on the PCX. So basically back roads. And yes they are a blast. I don't plan on touching anything other than the shocks and maybe transmission much later on down the road. The reality is that the PCX in its stock form is pretty much the perfect machine for me with my my abilities and limitations. I am actually going to have some real trouble coming up with what I am going to upgrade to next in a few years when I want a bigger motorcycle. I am just that happy with the PCX.
DanFromVegas wrote:ATGATT, all the gear all the time. Great sentiment but reality is a little different. I'm a most of the gear most of the time kind of rider. You could suit up with an airbag equipped full race set of leathers or shorts and flip-flops. The best/worst feature of any helmet is fit. My first really good helmet was an Arai. Little did I know, I don't have an Arai shaped head. The other top brand that fits me is Shoei. I like a flip-up chin bar. The Neotec is what I usually wear. Scorpion is a lower priced brand that fits my head shape. My wife actually preferred the lower priced house brand from Cycle Gear, Bilt. Gloves are also a must. Even at 25mph, hands don't fare well on pavement. It is instinctive but when we fall we put out our palms. On really hot days, mechanic type gloves will still offer surprising protection.

It has been said before but dress for the crash. If you do that every time you should be fine.

All of this is just my opinion. I've been riding for almost 50 years and I'm still at it. ;D
I don't wear the jacket in the hot weather because I overheat and pass out so easily. I also don't really ride when it's much over 85 for the same reason. But I always have my helmet and gloves on.
ReptilesBlade

Post by ReptilesBlade »

riding@100mpg wrote:I have had my pcx150 for a little over a year with about 2500 miles and love it. Some long trips and would have no doubts about touring on it. But,it's doesn't feel safe on an interstate. I wouldn't modify the running gear until it needs it either. Some complain about the rear shocks but I think a seat pad would help a lot. Enjoy the ride and pick back roads,more fun anyway. Keep us posted with pictures and stories. Welcome
Glad to hear you have been getting every bit as much fun out of your PCX as I have mine.

Due to the arthritis in my back I do really want to upgrade my shocks as soon as I can. They really do need to be better for my long term comfort.
Mel46 wrote:If you choose to do touring on your PCX, do like my wife and I did. We took back roads. Plan it out and take the easy ride rather than the hard one. Riding on the freeways is a bear on a PCX. It is just too light, and there is nothing left if you need to get out of someone's way. The back roads give you a chance to really see things. You don't have your location in your profile, so I will speak as though you are in the United States. There are a few others who have taken their PCX across the United States, but those were well planned and they were a bit younger than most of us. Prepare by slowly extending your ride. That way you won't get too exhausted. We (my wife and I each have a PCX) took ours on a 5 state circular run several times and it was tiring. Consider doing that to test yourself. If you can't make it further than that, enjoy what you CAN do with it. There are a lot of back roads in America.
Another tourer! Yay!

Where all have you and your wife been?

I planned on mostly sticking with the back roads yes. The PCX is a excellently designed machine for it. My location is in the St. Louis Missouri area USA. I know there are a lot of people, especially Vespa owners have done huge trips often clocking in at a thousand miles or longer. The PCX is every bit as capable as their machines.

I seem to be able to go about 100-120 miles or 4-6 hours a day as is. The only reason I have to stop is the arthritis in my back gets so bad I simply can't ride longer than that. The reason I really want to upgrade the chocks so bad is because I think that will alleviate this issue somewhat and hopefully let me go 200-300 miles a day. Even if I have to spend the next day laying down recovering. Feel free to tell me if I am being unrealistic.