Strawberry looking oil in final gear

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: White

Strawberry looking oil in final gear

Post by Dragon_uk »

Bike that i service with my brother in law.
Maybe not a PCX but still share a lot of parts. Honda SH125 ABS. Or as we call it ”goat” lol.
Now we've done 15k miles service on it last night:
-valves very within spec (wish doing valves on PCX was so easy, few screws out and head's there)
-spark plug
-air filter
-oil
-belt
-variator rollers with new sliding clips too
-final gear oil
Parts called ”plate,ramp” and ”boos,drive face” were so atuck it took a lot of elbow grease to get them out, it came out there was surface rust. So little of that surface rust but enough to make us open a bottle of Grants lol.
Now lets get back to subject.
Final gear oil was pink and looked like strawberry milkshake. We've drained oil about 10min after bike has done about 15miles in Londons trafic so about 60min ride doing speed 30-60mph.
I change final gear oil every 2.5k on all my bikes and never seen one looking so foamy and pinky. This one was always serviced at Honda and now being out of warranty we've decided to do it in my garage.
Did anyone else experienced anything like it?
Thanks for any help.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Strawberry looking oil in final gear

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Maybe someone put hydraulic oil in there that's since been contaminated by water, that would explain 'milkyness' to otherwise red oil. Nothing else I can offer to explain it.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

That sounds like Redline heavy shockproof gear oil, which comes in a choice of banana, blueberry or strawberry milkshake:
It's used for drag racing, and needles to say is totally wrong for the low oil weight used in the PCX...

k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Wow, well I never. Hahahaha
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Dragon_uk »

I've put Castrol 10W40 back in and one day next week will drain it again so it will have the same trip done the only difference will be less miles done on oil in total but hopefully it will be normal this time.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

That's very interesting, someone added transmission oil to the final drive? Get it out for sure and see how she sounds.
oops... i'm in agreement with k2apache6.0 hydraulic fluid in the original final drive oil would seem logical.
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Dragon_uk »

Honda puts engine oil in final gear as standard. UK dealers (to my knowledge) use Castrol and that is redish itself so maybe this would go pink milkshake looking if contaminated with water. But I can't personally see water getting inside by it self. Unless dealer left some other liquid in there when they were changing all 6 bearings inside final gear at around 13k miles?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Dragon_uk wrote:Honda puts engine oil in final gear as standard. UK dealers (to my knowledge) use Castrol and that is redish itself so maybe this would go pink milkshake looking if contaminated with water. But I can't personally see water getting inside by it self. Unless dealer left some other liquid in there when they were changing all 6 bearings inside final gear at around 13k miles?
Yep, heard Honda recommend Castrol for many of their bikes and performance cars. Many dealers use it and sell it to customers. I purchased 4l's of the 4-stroke fully synth Power oil and that as you say has a red colour when fresh, but after use in the engine the red colour goes - perhaps it stays if not subject to high temp such as in the final drive oil (used that a few 100 miles back during an oil change, but only change that every 2 years (8000-9000 miles) so will see what it looks like in some time).
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Dragon_uk »

The way I see it.
You buy 1l of oil, engine takes 850ml max and you're left with 150ml so no worth keeping till next change but feels like shame to chuck it away. Final drive takes about 120-130ml. Hence I change my final drive oil every 2.5k miles.
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Dragon_uk »

Ok worked out what it was.
Gave scooter a really good clean and noticed final gear breather hose (little black hose going to air filter box on the wheel side) was out at filter end so most probably was catching water when jetwashing or riding in rain.
Drained oil again and the same story, strawbery yogurt looking oil.
Put hose back where it belongs, filled gearbox with petrol (or gas like you guys like to call it ), span wheel for few minutes and drained dirty petrol out. Repeated cleaning proces but after second time petrol came out very clean. Left both bolts (draining and filling) undone over night allowing remaining petrol to evaporate. Filled with oil next morning and used it as normal for few days. Checked oil yesterday and happy days it looks as it should again.
Smile on my face when I found the problem and fixed it? Flippin priceless
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I found my breather hose out the other week, too. I wonder if I have transmission yoghurt now?
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Dragon_uk »

You don't need to drain it completely to find out. Undo bottom bolt enough for it to start dripping. It won't hurt if you lose few ml and you'll see straight away. Mine looked like pink foam. Might be diferent colour depending on what oil honda use in final gear in your country. In UK it's 10w40 castrol power 1 so redish