Engine lost power

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Re: Engine lost power

Post by Rickjds »

iceman wrote:Out of interest, if the oil is not leaking away or burning off but you lose large amounts - why would the fuel pump be the culprit (just wondering from a tech perspective how that works) :)
Agree totally.
crashcrew84
Year: 2011
Color: red

Post by crashcrew84 »

This will be a multi parts Yes I do have over 62000 miles on this bike. The plug was replace at 60000 mile with the air filter and the drive belt rebuild. Then replace with the new fuel pump do to signs that the plug had been over heated from the lean burn.
The failing fuel pump made the top end very hot, cooked the exhaust pipe and muffler now has gray marks from heat,
Thinking it may have been cooking off some if the oil, It the only reason we can come up with as oil use would go down. I have no oil leaks and no blue smoke or any sign of oil in the combustion chamber. The fuel pump that came off will flow less than 1 oz after 10 seconds and the filter was black and hard to push fuel past the pump did over 3.5 oz with out the filter but Honda will not sell the filter by its self.
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by BPT7594 »

To be honest any extremely lean burn condition will kill the engine.
Too hot piston => the piston starts to scrape the oil off the cylinder wall by itself, metal to metal contact => seizure.
Too hot exhaust valve => burnt.
Too hot engine overall increases oil temperature and some even might evaporate from the extreme heat.
I personally would have done a fuel pump change after 20000 miles, just to be sure.