Motor Oil Question

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Motor Oil Question

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:The biggest problem i have is the part that says "Resource Conserving" . I have heard that we aren't suppose to use those. That limits the selection. So what can we use if we can't use any that have the word "Resource...." within the circle?

Forget about the Resouce Conserving nonsense. Buy a gallon fo 20 bucks and pour the rest down the drain
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Post by jkautz »

If I'm riding 70-80% highway @ 55+mph. Would it be a good idea to still stick with 10w30? Or up it to 10w40?

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Just follow the recommendations in the owners manual page 111, 10w30.
That is all I have ever used and because I have a Honda ATV that has a wet clutch, I buy it by the jug for both.
It's easy to over think these things, speaking from experience :lol: . If in doubt, go to the manual.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Post by jkautz »

Thanks again MikeP. I'll stick with 10w30. I've got a gallon of 10w30 synthetic Amsoil, I'm glad I won't have to waste it by not using it

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by Russpuss »

So, has my forza is coming up for its first oil change. Full synthetic 10/40 is ok? Plus a new oil filter?
I've used shell advanced on my old bike, found it ok. Or could anyone suggest anything better?
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Yes, you you, and apparently, you too.

In my 14,000-rpm Kawa EL 250, I used an incredible assortment of leftovers from the shop, even
sometimes throwing in ounces of 80w-90 differential oil when running short of dino 'motor oil' (but
staying away from the clutch-slippery synths of the day). When I sold it at 70K, the engine's
insides still were as new.

Today I buy Rotella (dino or synt depending on the day's prices) by the cheap gallon and change it every 1.5k or so (even in the trans.)
I don't even care which viscosity (Rotella has 3 (4?) different ones on the shelves). Right now the
Forza runs on a mixture of all three!
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I use Rotella as well. I think this oil thing is way overdone. This is a simple engine, just about any good quality oil will suffice. The only caveat would be if you intend to use this in sub zero temps then I would use a 0W -20 or 30.. If you live near the equator go with a 15W -40 or 20W -50. 10w -30 is an average or middle solution to just about all conditions.The most important is to change it frequently as acids and carbon deposits can scour tolerances some..I do mine about every 2 thousand miles.. Simple , quick and cheap.. Takes ten minutes and about 1.5 qts.. Give me a break !
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

0W-x Rotella synth (can't remember the 'x' value) was on sale last time I went looking for oil,
so I mixed it with the 5w-40 and 15w-40 dinos I had left (about 2 litres each),ending up
with a 10 l. xW-y potion magique that should be good for a while...
Russpuss

Post by Russpuss »

Thanks for that. On my old cbr I changed it every 6weeks or so. But this being new forza it says the next oil change is at 12.000k. Which seems a long time to me. Should I stick to that or change it after 3or4 thousand k
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

That maintenance schedule is determined by people who should know better, isn't it. But some say
these guys are under heavy environmental pressure to extend oil change intervals to the limits.
Modern engines, and oils, are supposedly designed to live by those expectations...but a quick look
at my Forza's oil after 2000 km tells me otherwise...

As an 'ecolo' compromise, I throw my scooter's used oil into a friend's obamatruck (when
still looking good enough for its wind mill, mind you).

I find it very hard to believe that a 9000rpm relatively stressed 280cc engine can be happy
with 8000mi. goo,all 1.4 litre of it, whatever the engineers claim. So every 1500, down it goes.

Then I'd be VERY curious to see what the insides of a 50k Forza engine running 75% wfo look
like after 6 oil changes...you bet it won't be mine.
Russpuss

Post by Russpuss »

Aguim,
Thanks for that advice. I did ask prior to that if I should use full synthetic or semi. To be honest the answer was as clear as oil lol.
The dealer I bought it from has a very good Thai machanic, he said I can use which ever oil I chose. I think meaning not the cheap free shit they'd put in. But reading different articles some say stick with semi synthetic to bed the engine in completely. And others say that's bullshit, the first 1000 k has done that. I just wanted to clarify right or wrong?
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

Like your mechanic said, use ANY good one, it doesn't matter a bit as long as you change it
every 2-3kkm or so (or so to me means 2k as you know, but I may be a little zealous here...).
Russpuss

Post by Russpuss »

Changing the topic some what. Has anyone changed the settings of the rear suspension on the forza?
If so, to what? And did it help in anyway?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Homie before this goes of topic you need to post "Bob is the oil guy" bullshit.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Russpuss wrote:Changing the topic some what. Has anyone changed the settings of the rear suspension on the forza?
If so, to what? And did it help in anyway?
Best search the forum (must have been covered many times) and start a new topic - bad practice to start asking about suspension when the topic is motor oil (same question endlessly asked and answered).
buds_e
Year: 2016
Color: black matte

Post by buds_e »

hi greetings from indonesia.. im new to this forum

does anyone having a fuel dilution problem in pcx?
i think im having that problem right now, my engine oil smells like a fuel when i checked it yesterday
my pcx is 150cc 2016, only 5 month old

i wonder how this could happend, and what to do now

sorry for my english
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

buds_e wrote:hi greetings from indonesia.. im new to this forum

does anyone having a fuel dilution problem in pcx?
i think im having that problem right now, my engine oil smells like a fuel when i checked it yesterday
my pcx is 150cc 2016, only 5 month old

i wonder how this could happend, and what to do now

sorry for my english

Is the oil level rising?
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by BPT7594 »

Any oil will smell like fuel sometimes because heck to me some fresh oil smells like fuel already.
You will have blowby during normal operation, meaning yes your oil will be diluted with raw fuel over time, however, to which rate of dilution is the right question.
If you're worried, drain the oil and put it in something to measure the volume of oil. If it's much more than 800ml I will be alarmed. But if it's still 800ml, you can scoot along. The piston rings on these babies tend to last very long and are made of reliable material. Don't worry too much.
buds_e
Year: 2016
Color: black matte

Post by buds_e »

you you wrote:
Is the oil level rising?
i checked at the dipstick it seems not rising, it stays at the same level since the last time i change my oil,which is about 2 weeks ago.
BPT7594 wrote:Any oil will smell like fuel sometimes because heck to me some fresh oil smells like fuel already.
You will have blowby during normal operation, meaning yes your oil will be diluted with raw fuel over time, however, to which rate of dilution is the right question.
If you're worried, drain the oil and put it in something to measure the volume of oil. If it's much more than 800ml I will be alarmed. But if it's still 800ml, you can scoot along. The piston rings on these babies tend to last very long and are made of reliable material. Don't worry too much.
the oil im using doesn't smell like fuel at all when fresh, i even have the remaining of that oil that i keep about 200ml and its doesn't smell like fuel.

is this fuel dilution perhaps happen because of the fuel im using?
because few days ago i changed my fuel from ron92 to ron95
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Keep an eye on the oil level then. If it's not rising it's ok.