Installed Yumiinashi variator

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Testerpt5
Year: 2015
Color: Black matte

Installed Yumiinashi variator

Post by Testerpt5 »

Hello, just picked up from the repair shop my pcx 150 led for maintenance, I had oil changed and changed variator to a Yuminashi variator, kept the same malossi belt as it has less than 2500miles. The pcx makes more noise, its also a weirder noise, like its vibrating noise, and logically I can also feel some new vibration. Accelaration is better, "strenght" in pulling seems better. Top end speed was 120kmh or 74.56mph on speedometer, so take out 10% in speed reading error in consideration. Fuel went up by 10%. Funny fact my first try my top speed was 100kmh or 60mph, was very disappointed, my 2nd try was then 120kmh.
Overall I am neither satisfied or unhappy, time will tell.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Installed Yumiinashi variator

Post by Mel46 »

The thing about after-market variators is that they are made for speed, which means that belt travel is further out. This can cause more vibration. Did you have the shop change your rollers as well? For some reason we have found that 13 gram rollers mate up pretty well with after-market variator. They will give you quicker takeoff. Sliders work well too.

By the way, there is a time factor for break In, so the bike should run better as the new parts seat.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Testerpt5
Year: 2015
Color: Black matte

Post by Testerpt5 »

The kit came with 8g rollers and those are now installed, but I've decide I'll go with heaviers as I dont need faster accelaration but higher end speed, though I am going heavier to try and get better millage.
Hopefully withing the next 15 days my variator holding tool will arrive and I will try a mix of 8g+15g so to get 11,5g, without spending money, just to see the difference.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That is a good idea. What we have found, from lots of trial and error is the 13 gram rollers give the best bang for the buck.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers