Synthetic Gear Oil

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

xviiviiixiv

Synthetic Gear Oil

Post by xviiviiixiv »

Hi all, new here.

I'm looking for gear oil recommendations. I'm using Motul Scooter Expert for my engine oil.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Synthetic Gear Oil

Post by Mel46 »

Would you mind going into your profile and putting your location, please. That would help us to help you.
Also, since this is in the PCX section it is assumed that you have a PCX, but is it a 125cc or a 150cc...and what year?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Welcome!

What Mel said is scripture. . .that's just how we roll.

Need to know your planet position. 8)
xviiviiixiv

Post by xviiviiixiv »

Mel46 wrote:Would you mind going into your profile and putting your location, please. That would help us to help you.
Also, since this is in the PCX section it is assumed that you have a PCX, but is it a 125cc or a 150cc...and what year?
Hi, sorry about that. I've updated the location, the bike is in Indonesia but I'm always between these 2 countries, Singapore and Indonesia.

I'm not exactly riding a PCX, but a smaller variant of it, nearly same engine. Known as Vario 150 in Indonesia and Click 150 in Thailand.

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Click 150 is one that I have heard of. I believe I have read elsewhere on this forum that standard full synthetic motor oil (10W30) would work as gear oil. Someone else here could give you more specific information.
Read this to confirm what I am saying.
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3224
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
xviiviiixiv

Post by xviiviiixiv »

nmax forum said the same thing, I could use synthetic motor oil as gear oil. I wanna try look for a dedicated gear oil, something like w90 oils.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

xviiviiixiv wrote:nmax forum said the same thing, I could use synthetic motor oil as gear oil. I wanna try look for a dedicated gear oil, something like w90 oils.
No need to and not advised. 90w gear oil is heavier than the original recommendation, and whilst probably uses specific additives for better shearing resistance, the maintenance schedule with frequent gearbox oil changes solves that issue. Gear tolerances are designed for the same motor oil what is in the egine.
The gearbox anyway holds minimal amount of fluid, so well worth to change it frequently. What I do is that I made a special oil drain bolt what includes a superstrong neodymium magnet to lessen the particles in circulation and change gearbox oil with every second engine oil changes. Practically I use 1l cans of oil, and save leftover fresh oil from the first oil change and together wih the leftover from second it is enough to change the gearbox oil too.
You can also possibly consider adding a very small amount of gearbox additive but I don't do it.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

There was a video on YouTube that compared the "Click" to the "PCX". The Click has been a real good seller.

FWIW I use only the Honda oil suggested in the Service Manual for my PCX. It's a synthetic/mineral blend. Will cost a bit extra but compared to the cheap operating cost of the PCX it seems trite. Also the Honda oil has "Moly" in it to reduce friction. I put Pro Honda HP-4M 4-stroke oil 10w-40 in my PCX 150 engine and Pro Honda HP-4M 4-stroke oil 10w-30 in the final drive gears. I also bought a quart of the Honda recommended coolant in case I'll need to top off the radiator system. :geek:
xviiviiixiv

Post by xviiviiixiv »

I normally use AHM gear oil, and then I switched to Castrol. Since w90 is heavier, I reckon it would be a better if I just get 1l engine oil (Motul expert scooter). 800ml into the engine, the remaining into the gearbox.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

xviiviiixiv wrote:I normally use AHM gear oil, and then I switched to Castrol. Since w90 is heavier, I reckon it would be a better if I just get 1l engine oil (Motul expert scooter). 800ml into the engine, the remaining into the gearbox.
I've a similar thing - found that if I get a qt. of the recommended Honda oil, it refills both the engine and gear after draining. Since Honda recommends the same oil for both, it works out.
rvkssl
Year: 2014
Color: Pearl white

Post by rvkssl »

PCX150Rider wrote:There was a video on YouTube that compared the "Click" to the "PCX". The Click has been a real good seller.

FWIW I use only the Honda oil suggested in the Service Manual for my PCX. It's a synthetic/mineral blend. Will cost a bit extra but compared to the cheap operating cost of the PCX it seems trite. Also the Honda oil has "Moly" in it to reduce friction. I put Pro Honda HP-4M 4-stroke oil 10w-40 in my PCX 150 engine and Pro Honda HP-4M 4-stroke oil 10w-30 in the final drive gears. I also bought a quart of the Honda recommended coolant in case I'll need to top off the radiator system. :geek:
Same here, i stick to the Honda specs.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

I deviate from the factory recommendation. :) Right now I'm using Mobil 1 15W-50 in the gear box and a mix of 15W-50 and 0W-40 in the engine. Last summer I was using only 15W-50 in the engine, but as we headed into winter I started topping up with 0W-40 for better cold weather startups.

If your scoot uses the same dry clutch setup as our PCX, then you don't need to pay extra for MA-rated oil. Any name-brand fully syn automobile engine oil will work.