2018 Honda PCX Performance

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: 2018 Honda PCX Performance

Post by WhiteNoise »

CaliCal, would you please update your profile by changing your PCX model year and Adding your location. You're asking for help from us, we'd like a bit of that from you too.

Below my post you'll find easy directions to get that info entered.
We all thank you in advance. Oh and good luck with your turbo idea. That's a new mod to me! ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

CaliCal wrote:I removed the snorkel from the air filter
Would that be the "snorkel" that keeps water well away from the engine inlet when the bike is around water?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I was waiting for Mav to make a special edition fast PCX for CaliCal. LOL

This is the snorkel he was talking about..(photo Not pcx but it is similar to this)

Tried removing it once but I don't like the snarling sound the scoot is making..
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (89.14 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

alx123 wrote:this is the snorkel he was talking about..(photo not pcx but it is similar to this)
Yep - I was just trying to politely say "I really don't think that is a good idea".
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

I'm pretty sure that's to make the air intake process more quiet.

I'm not even sure if we should call it a snorkel at all..
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

The photo above is wrong, my apologies..

the snorkel to be removed is the Part no. 4 in this diagram
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (64.69 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

springer1 wrote:
Putting their elaborate sales pitch aside, if you send an offset temperature reading to the computer and that changes the air/fuel mixture to be richer, wont that help with performance?
Interesting thought. I had a 150 Stellla 2-Stroke that was setup as new to make emission standards - right on the edge of lean. When I fattened up the main jet, it got noticeable more power while still maintaining a nice plug read. I also had installed a CHT - Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge - and its reading actually showed a slight temp reduction .... until I later on installed a different air filter & exhaust but thats another topic.

Back to the subject - I like fuel economy, but if the PCX is designed right on the edge of lean, and a bit richer would increase the HP with only a slight hit on mileage, I'd want to try it out.
Don't buy that unit though. I have seen people use resistors inline with the temperature sensor. I have never looked into it, but it might be that easy.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
forza300
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by forza300 »

Loving all the sea-of-the-pants dyno experiments here :)

Going back a few threads, the Vespa has smaller wheels and is lighter (as pointed out) so even with the same HP the engine will rev faster and spin those small wheels faster. I bet you have a little better top speed though on the PCX?

The road is long, and at the end of the day, the only person you are racing, is you.
------------------------
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

springer1 wrote:I had a 150 Stellla 2-Stroke that was setup as new to make emission standards - right on the edge of lean. When I fattened up the main jet, it got noticeable more power while still maintaining a nice plug read. I also had installed a CHT - Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge - and its reading actually showed a slight temp reduction
A temp reduction is normal with a rich mixture - we do the same with petrol aircraft engines on take-off & climbout when they're at full power and airspeed is lower.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Don't buy that unit though. I have seen people use resistors inline with the temperature sensor. I have never looked into it, but it might be that easy.
Roger that - thanks. EFI has its significant benefits, but (unlike a carb) a lot of its actual workings are a mystery to me. If there was a simplistic way to fatten the mix just a bit, I'd be interested to learn how it could be done.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Going back a few threads, the Vespa has smaller wheels and is lighter (as pointed out) so even with the same HP the engine will rev faster and spin those small wheels faster. I bet you have a little better top speed though on the PCX?
Yes, the PCX has a bit more top end, but more importantly is a far more relaxed because the engine is so nicely balanced, and the larger wheels & better suspension / geometry make running over 55 far less busy. The PCX is so marvelously smooth.

The stock Vespa - Stella 150 2- stroke & 4 speed setup was geared so that the engine really didn't over rev with the 10" wheels. Top speed limitation was more of an issue with wind resistance and horsepower as the engine got on the right side of the power curve at higher speeds. The mid range torque from their 150 2 stoke is very surprising.

But what is really remarkable is their trailing link design. When a bump is encountered by the front suspension, the wheel not only rises, but also pivots back. I think this was originally an aircraft design, works great on these scooters.

Not to mention they carry an extra wheel (carried opposite the engine under the left side cowl) which can quickly be installed if either tire goes flat because both front & back suspensions are single arm /sided.

But time marches forward, I'll stick with the newer PCX - I'm amazed every time I ride it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Once again, CaliCal, where are you located?

Outside of the United States it is harder to get the NCY variator set outside of the United States.

As I have said in previous threads, the variator set is not just for more top end. It also gives the bike more power to climb hills...well, steep inclines. It will never be a hill climbing dirt bike. However, with the NCY variator set you can keep up with traffic when on streets that start to climb. Consider getting the set.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

springer1 wrote:
Roger that - thanks. EFI has its significant benefits, but (unlike a carb) a lot of its actual workings are a mystery to me. If there was a simplistic way to fatten the mix just a bit, I'd be interested to learn how it could be done.

There are some units that are better and changing the fuel map. One example is the
Bazzaz piggyback fuel controller. I haven't used it, but it looks like it could adjust fuel to one's liking.
It is more tedious than a carb though. They do offer an auto tuning add on for their piggyback computer.

I won't be messing around with engine tuning anytime soon. Stock is just more dependable than it being an Research Development project.

Gil
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Mel46 wrote:Once again, CaliCal, where are you located?

Outside of the United States it is harder to get the NCY variator set outside of the United States.

As I have said in previous threads, the variator set is not just for more top end. It also gives the bike more power to climb hills...well, steep inclines. It will never be a hill climbing dirt bike. However, with the NCY variator set you can keep up with traffic when on streets that start to climb. Consider getting the set.

I have the NCY variator kit. I had it with 13 gram weights, it worked great, but now with Dr pulley 12g weights. I recommend to at least get the Dr Pulley 12g weights. They helped with acceleration, ~ about the same as the 13g rollers, but most of all helped with lowering the RPM at cruising speed. Before the Dr Pulley slider weights the I felt like I needed to shift up the transmission, which I can't lol. Now the RPM's drop down lower, it makes the scoot feel more relaxed.

Gil
ImageImage
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Don't use sliders with the NCY variator. You can use the rollers, but the sliders don't work well with the Teflon coating on the NCY variator and can actually damage it.
There has been a consensus among members of this forum that 13 gram weights are the favored weight for the NCY setup. However, if you have not installed the kit yet, then the 12 gram weights will work quite well. Just changing the weights helps in the takeoff, which I guess is what you are interested in right now.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black Metallic

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

My 2015 Honda PCX 150 (K-18) ran 62-63mph on the rev limiter before the NCY variator change. I replaced it with the variator- face-13g rollers and saw the increase up to 70mph (speedometer) 73mph (GPS). I then installed the GIVI short windscreen and Leo Vince exhaust and she moved on up to 73mph (speedometer) but I have yet to check the GPS speed. I am pleased with the out come and may even do the gear change to help lower the rpm. I will so a bigger/taller rear tire also. Right now I am happy and she holds her own even on non busy interstate shots. I plan on keeping the PCX but also looking into another bigger bike/scoot as in the Kymco XTown 300i/Yamaha XMax/Suzuki Burgman 200/Sym CitiCom 300.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
2015 Honda PCX 150 (K-18)
Metallic Black
Leo Vince GP Corsa Exhaust
NCY Variator Kit and Drive Face with 18g rollers
Givi Windscreen D1136T
2 Wheels Down Head on a Swivel
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Heedehcheenuh wrote:My 2015 Honda PCX 150 (K-18) ran 62-63mph on the rev limiter before the NCY variator change. I replaced it with the variator- face-13g rollers and saw the increase up to 70mph (speedometer) 73mph (GPS). I then installed the GIVI short windscreen and Leo Vince exhaust and she moved on up to 73mph (speedometer) but I have yet to check the GPS speed. I am pleased with the out come and may even do the gear change to help lower the rpm. I will so a bigger/taller rear tire also. Right now I am happy and she holds her own even on non busy interstate shots. I plan on keeping the PCX but also looking into another bigger bike/scoot as in the Kymco XTown 300i/Yamaha XMax/Suzuki Burgman 200/Sym CitiCom 300.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
What model Givi screen is it?

Gil
ImageImage
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Heedehcheenuh wrote:My 2015 Honda PCX 150 (K-18) ran 62-63mph on the rev limiter before the NCY variator change. I replaced it with the variator- face-13g rollers and saw the increase up to 70mph (speedometer) 73mph (GPS). I then installed the GIVI short windscreen and Leo Vince exhaust and she moved on up to 73mph (speedometer) but I have yet to check the GPS speed. I am pleased with the out come and may even do the gear change to help lower the rpm. I will so a bigger/taller rear tire also. Right now I am happy and she holds her own even on non busy interstate shots. I plan on keeping the PCX but also looking into another bigger bike/scoot as in the Kymco XTown 300i/Yamaha XMax/Suzuki Burgman 200/Sym CitiCom 300.
Any thoughts on doing a 175cc big bore kit while you're at it?

http://www.yuminashi.com/-pcx150-esp-17 ... ht-bore-k/
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

Gil wrote:

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
What model Givi screen is it?

Gil
https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/givi-d1 ... -2014-2018
This was the screen I bought.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

TheMaverick wrote:
Any thoughts on doing a 175cc big bore kit while you're at it?

http://www.yuminashi.com/-pcx150-esp-17 ... ht-bore-k/
I was looking at the kits but not interested in then until this motor is ready to be overhauled. With just over 5k miles on the speddometer that will be some time lol. I may end up looking at the Kymco line first seeing as they are right across the state from me. Kymco USA being in Grenville S.C.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

p.s. I will plan on keeping the Honda but would like to have the bigger scooter/bike for long or touring rides.
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T