My attempt to retrofit the bigger OEM fuel tank into 2013PCX

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

My attempt to retrofit the bigger OEM fuel tank into 2013PCX

Post by Gil »

Hello all, I have finally ordered the newer 2 gallon fuel tank for my 2013 Honda PCX 150. I ordered a new tank from an online, CheapCycleParts.com. I have received a used fuel pump assembly from a 2016 Honda PCX. In the next couple weeks I hope to take the scoot apart and replace the fuel tank. The only difficult part that i'm expecting is the Fuel lid mechanism. The fuel tank is going in even if I have to cut stuff, lol. I will update this thread as i get the parts and proceed to replace the tank.

Stay tuned,
Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: My attempt to retrofit the bigger OEM fuel tank into 201

Post by TheMaverick »

Will be following with interest. I'm guessing you saw the previous thread about that?

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6328
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

I'll be following this closely. If it works, I'll have another project for my scoot!!
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

TheMaverick wrote:Will be following with interest. I'm guessing you saw the previous thread about that?

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6328

I hadn't seen that one, but I did do a search earlier this year and didn't find much on the subject. I guess no one had attempted it.

Here is the used fuel pump, might need slight cleaning. Just waiting for the fuel tank now. I got the fuel pump from ebay for $34.99 shipped.

Gil
Attachments
Used 2016 Fuel Pump Assembly
Used 2016 Fuel Pump Assembly
image.jpeg (124.57 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Will be an interesting project for sure. Just hoping that there aren't any major mechanical obstacles for you.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I got my tank 8) and new air filter. I think the air filter was the original one. Now some pictures.
Attachments
tankSide.png
tankSide.png (688.82 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
airFilter.png
airFilter.png (739.43 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
tank.png
tank.png (399.93 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
ImageImage
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Just keep in mind that that's the inlet side of the air filter - the quality of air that's going into the engine is more reflective of the condition of the other side of the filter (ie if the side you've shown is dirty like this - but the other side looks relatively OK then it's still clean air getting through - it's just a case of how much the air is getting restricted trying to get through). If the other side is still relatively clean and you don't notice any performance increase with the new filter then the old one was still doing it's job. I changed mine out at around 30,000km and it looked much the same as yours, but reasonably OK on the outlet side.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I was only concerned of it being restricted, i'm sure it was still doing its job. :D
Did you notice any adverse performance with the dirty filter?

Gil
ImageImage
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote:I was only concerned of it being restricted, i'm sure it was still doing its job. :D
Did you notice any adverse performance with the dirty filter?

Gil
No - none. Only thing I've noticed performance-wise is that after 33,000km the rev limiter kicks in at 106km/hr instead of 112km/hr (indicated). Doubt the speedo calibration has changed so I've put it down to transmission wear (new belt and rear driven face going on soon for other reasons anyway, so will be interesting to see if it's fixed).
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I like my PCX, but if it could do 70mph like my first scooter did, a Yamaha Riva 170. Although I never verified the accuracy of the speedometer on the Riva. Well at least my scoot will have more range. Your lost top speed hypothesis makes sence, normal wear. I haven't checked my variator recently, I probably should.

Gil
ImageImage
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote:I like my PCX, but if it could do 70mph like my first scooter did, a Yamaha Riva 170. Although I never verified the accuracy of the speedometer on the Riva. Well at least my scoot will have more range. Your lost top speed hypothesis makes sence, normal wear. I haven't checked my variator recently, I probably should.

Gil
I can relate to that. I suspect that from Honda's perspective, they want to push people up to 300cc scooters if they want more speed - problem we have in NZ is that the PCX 150 is the biggest/fastest Honda scooter that the national distributors import into New Zealand.

Having just said that, it's generally fine - did 315km on one day last week - that day I passed 7 vehicles and got passed by 4 (not counting 3 I pulled over to let by because their headlights were annoying me). I'm WOT most of the time to keep up with open-road traffic, but other than that it generally keeps up OK. Biggest issue for me is overtaking - started overtaking a long truck with about a 20 km/h speed differential at the beginning - and was down to less than 5 km/hr differential towards the end (he sped up - thanks dude) ... had a truck heading towards me on the other side by that stage and was doing time / distance / speed calculations at about 50 times a second by that point - on my dreambike (Fireblade) biggest problem would have been the acceleration lifting the front wheel and tipping me off the back if anti-wheelie wasn't turned on. Some days it would be nice to have potential problems like that on the PCX ...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Gil - any updates on this - how's it going :)
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

iceman wrote:Gil - any updates on this - how's it going :)
Busy with school at the moment, waiting for a free weekend to work on it.

Gil
ImageImage
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Play hooky, fix it, and ride! :D

Just kidding. . .. Inquiring minds would like to know. :lol:
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Jurry is out:

AND

NO
Attachments
IMG_20180103_002433765.jpg
IMG_20180103_002433765.jpg (139.27 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
IMG_20180103_000759395.jpg
IMG_20180103_000759395.jpg (197.16 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
ImageImage
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Looks like it's just too big. . .the fuel lid won't fit either? :o
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Forget about putting the panels back on. It looks like there is no way that they will fit.

By the way Gil, if you really just want to do 70 mph on your scooter, change the VARIATOR, drive face and rollers to NCY. Ours tops out at 75mph, higher with a new belt.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Mel46 wrote:Forget about putting the panels back on. It looks like there is no way that they will fit.
By the way Gil, if you really just want to do 70 mph on your scooter, change the VARIATOR, drive face and rollers to NCY. Ours tops out at 75mph, higher with a new belt.
Do people really feel safe riding at those speeds on a scooter with small tyres and not that great brakes?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Who said anything about feeling safe?? Riding a PCX at 75 mph is a bit foolish, but it allows you to keep up with traffic when you need to. The greatest advantage I have found it this mod is being able to keep up on the hills when riding in the hills.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Mel46 wrote:Forget about putting the panels back on. It looks like there is no way that they will fit.

Thanks for the suggestion Mel46, but I already have the NCY variator kit and 12.5 gram Dr. Pulley weights. Those parts pushed my engine rev limit to ~75 MPH. I can achieve 70 MPH more often, but a bit more power would be nice.

iceman wrote:Do people really feel safe riding at those speeds on a scooter with small tyres and not that great brakes?
I feel totally safe at 75 MPH, specially with 14 inch wheels. I used to ride My Honda Helix at those speeds all the time, even though it only had a 12 inch front wheel and a 10 inch rear wheel. I have ridden bigger bikes and while they do feel more stable, I don't find the difference that big. Then again it just comes down to how safe one feels riding at those speeds. I do have to mention that I don't ride at those speeds daily, but the extra power would help on those rare occasions and when going up hills.

Fuel tank:
The 2 gal fuel tank is wider, and a bit longer. The top two bolt holes on the tank do light up, the issue seems to be the bottom two bolt holes. They are farther apart and mount further down into the frame. With some cutting and welding it might bolt onto the scoot, but because it's wider it won't fit between the plastic panels. I'm not going to do all that to fit it in, I might look into an auxiliary tank, or just live with the stock tank's fuel capacity. At least the idea of the 2 gallon tank is settled, LOL. I tried. :)

Gil
ImageImage