2015 Honda PCX150 Black Metallic (Performance information)

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black Metallic

2015 Honda PCX150 Black Metallic (Performance information)

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

Just purchased my PCX this weekend and drove her home from the dealer 57+ miles and can say "About time !!!!" She is a dream. I have been driving a Chinese brand Tao Tao Powermax VIP 150cc and there is a much..much ...much bigger difference. I will be doing upgrades to get the scooter set at what I need. Variator-Belt-Tires. Those three things are a must for me.
Objective it to top out at 65-70mph but only run 55-60mph. The top out is for the times I approach a hill to climb I do not lose momentum throttling up to take the hill. Right now if I do it hits the rev limiter at 62mph and I know she can perform better than that. I am not a speed racer but do want to ride 55-60mph while not killing the scooter out.
I have seen 3 variator kits listed as well as belts but not sure what to look into just yet. The tires I will order Michelin City Grip front and rear when it is ready. I did make a 87+ mile round trip to visit my brother this weekend and she performed perfect. I had only 1 car pass me on a 2 lane black top and that did not bother me. My son rode his Honda CBR600F4 with me so we just rode around 50-55mph at that time. Chime in and help the old phart out with his new scoot. lol All the info for additions I will need.

Variators
Belts
Windscreen (short)
Top Case

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

I will try to shrink images to get some posted.....
2015 Honda PCX 150 (K-18)
Metallic Black
Leo Vince GP Corsa Exhaust
NCY Variator Kit and Drive Face with 18g rollers
Givi Windscreen D1136T
2 Wheels Down Head on a Swivel
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: 2015 Honda PCX150 Black Metallic (Performance informatio

Post by homie »

Chuck you lucky Speed Racer :lol:
Put that shiney new PCX year in your profile so's we can always see it. PLUS we must have a picture or two of the Precious. I would get the vario parts here if they have them, pay no attention to the year they claim these fit. They haven't updated their product discription in years but that kit will fit ALL years PCX no worries. Start looking for an impact wrench to remove the stock vario and buy a torque wrench to reinstall it. You will have the newer cogged belt in that 2015, I would run it, but I will attach the part catalog so you have the number.

https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18182-201 ... -face.html
https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18174-201 ... ulley.html
https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18176-201 ... s-13g.html

13 gram rollers are critical to your satisfaction with this variator set. Been there done that trust me. This kit will last and last preforming beautifully and peaking out around 4k miles with top speeds on stock size tires reaching 78 mph. Change only the rollers at 5 to 10K and reset the clock. For a scooter the PCX will run like a bat out of hell on NCY parts. 8) My experience and IMO.
Attachments
Parts Catalog Honda PCX150 NEW - 2ND EDITION.PDF
(7.82 MiB) Downloaded 322 times
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

homie wrote:Chuck you lucky Speed Racer :lol:
Put that shiney new PCX year in your profile so's we can always see it. PLUS we must have a picture or two of the Precious. I would get the vario parts here if they have them, pay no attention to the year they claim these fit. They haven't updated their product discription in years but that kit will fit ALL years PCX no worries. Start looking for an impact wrench to remove the stock vario and buy a torque wrench to reinstall it. You will have the newer cogged belt in that 2015, I would run it, but I will attach the part catalog so you have the number.

https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18182-201 ... -face.html
https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18174-201 ... ulley.html
https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18176-201 ... s-13g.html

13 gram rollers are critical to your satisfaction with this variator set. Been there done that trust me. This kit will last and last preforming beautifully and peaking out around 4k miles with top speeds on stock size tires reaching 78 mph. Change only the rollers at 5 to 10K and reset the clock. For a scooter the PCX will run like a bat out of hell on NCY parts. 8) My experience and IMO.
Done. Yeah I have plenty of tools. I am an old school mechanic (shoe horn small blocks V-8s in 4-cyl cars). USAF (1984-1987) veteran mechanic so turning wrenches is all I have done for 30+ years. I have enough equipment in the old shop to do any work SAE or Metric lol. I can most work except for machine work itself. If my R.A. had not got the best of me I would still be wrenching you can bet on that. All I need is just enough umph to push a hill when needed.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

For those just getting to this page..here is my intro post and info as to why I went with the PCX.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7260

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Chuck there's the service manual way to access the vario cover to expose the belt and pulleys and the easy way without removing the lower plastics. When you get ready to do this mod check back if you haven't already figured this out. Also I would be very interested in the holding tool you fashion to break loose the vario and clutch nuts. It's critical you don't back those off without supporting the final drive by keeping the impact off the gears. I've been using a large rubber oil filter tool but it's awkward and to secure with it during the re-torque process is tedious.

The problem is the NCY kit does not have holes in the outer variator pulley face like the stock one does that uses the proper tool. Any one skilled and experienced like you could help us a lot with ideas and special tools.
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

homie wrote:Chuck there's the service manual way to access the vario cover to expose the belt and pulleys and the easy way without removing the lower plastics. When you get ready to do this mod check back if you haven't already figured this out. Also I would be very interested in the holding tool you fashion to break loose the vario and clutch nuts. It's critical you don't back those off without supporting the final drive by keeping the impact off the gears. I've been using a large rubber oil filter tool but it's awkward and to secure with it during the re-torque process is tedious.

The problem is the NCY kit does not have holes in the outer variator pulley face like the stock one does that uses the proper tool. Any one skilled and experienced like you could help us a lot with ideas and special tools.
I may not mess with the clutch end at all until the pads need replacing. As far as the variator I hold it with my hand and she comes right off (on the GY6 150cc engines) then work it back on with a ratchet (rotating to make sure not to pinch belt) then hit it with 3 licks short hits with impact gun..lowest pressure. Checked torque after and she was in specs. Not to tight and never had one come off. All this was on the GY6 150cc and maybe the same with this engine. I will check it when I do the mod. I am sure the Japanese scoot has better metal strength than the Chinese in the respect.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Just a thought - if it rev limits at 62 and you want to mod it to get to 70 then you're asking the engine to produce an additional 27% power at the same RPM (assuming it's a simple square-law function to compensate for the increased wind resistance).

Are you concerned at all about the effect that might have on engine temp, engine life, and fuel consumption?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

TheMaverick wrote:Just a thought - if it rev limits at 62 and you want to mod it to get to 70 then you're asking the engine to produce an additional 27% power at the same RPM (assuming it's a simple square-law function to compensate for the increased wind resistance).

Are you concerned at all about the effect that might have on engine temp, engine life, and fuel consumption?
No... I'm going to sell it to you :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

homie wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:Just a thought - if it rev limits at 62 and you want to mod it to get to 70 then you're asking the engine to produce an additional 27% power at the same RPM (assuming it's a simple square-law function to compensate for the increased wind resistance).

Done - Just the Fireblade ahead on the wishlist at this stage. Might be a long wait! :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

TheMaverick wrote:
homie wrote:

Done - Just the Fireblade ahead on the wishlist at this stage. Might be a long wait! :D
hehe
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

:oops: OK I just did a write up and it did not post.
Look at it this way:
o-O =Circles=Pulleys=Variators
Two circles/gears/variators.
The stock only lets the belt run out to a limit.
The NCY will let it run out further than stock.
It will take the small circle 2-3 turns to complete 1 turn of the larger circle.
The rpm will decrease with the larger circle (Unless you use to light of a weight/rollers/sliders)
Think like tire sizes also taller tires lower rpm smaller with increase rpm.
The stock variators will only let the belt run out to a certain point (runners/ramps are short in length) the NCY has longer runners/ramps and lets the belt run more towards the outer circle. To help with acceleration you use light weights 15g stock and 10-13g performance.
As many gears and weight changes I had to make working on machines to produce yarn to make carpet this is one thing I learned real fast (to keep my job lol)
now the give and take is what do you want out of the PCX?!?!
I did a Tao Tao Powermax VIP 150cc 157QMJ scooter this way. She would run 50mph GPS at 8,900 rpm. I changed the Variator to a Hoca with Hoca weights and a longer belt (only 9mm longer) and she would run 65mph GPS at 8,200rpm. I then changed the rear gear by 12/40 (3.33 ratio) stock to 16/37 (2.31 ratio) and lowered the rpm down to 7,000-7,200. That motor just did not have the power to push those tall gears so I went with the 14/38 (2.71 ratio) and that balanced it perfect.
It can be done effective and still be efficient at the same time. I do not plan on holding here above 60 at all but need that umph when you hit a hill.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

You're killing me Chief... ya done went and got smart.
Candle burning twice as bright, burns half as long, got it.
but for the drive train in this case, not the engine right?
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

homie wrote:You're killing me Chief... ya done went and got smart.
Yeah this motor has better power and torque than the old GY6-150cc. All you have to do is move the power/torque to the sweet spot and let her ride. These mods here on the forum do just that. Notice the rev limiter does not hit till later means at 50-60mph she is not running as hard vrs the stock setup hitting the same rpm sooner. Shoot I built a 1979 Pontiac Sunbird (rear wheel drive) and 1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon that would smoke Mustangs all day long. Small car light weight ( 2,800lbs fully loaded) tall gear (2.52 ratio) with a built 350 and all the performance goodies. 110-115mph shifting from 3rd to 4th gear she would smoke the tires and leave...but she got 30mpg when using here normal. lol

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Heedehcheenuh wrote:
homie wrote:You're killing me Chief... ya done went and got smart.
Yeah this motor has better power and torque than the old GY6-150cc. All you have to do is move the power/torque to the sweet spot and let her ride. These mods here on the forum do just that. Notice the rev limiter does not hit till later means at 50-60mph she is not running as hard vrs the stock setup hitting the same rpm sooner.

Alrighty then, the kits and belts are cheap and rollers even cheaper... lets ride!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE8Nr-mDa-Q
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

http://www.yuminashi.eu/forged-final-ge ... 0-engines/

@maddiedog This work out perfect for you? In the long run this may be the best route for me in the end. I can get a life time+ out of this setup. Has any one else run into the needle bearing issue for the clutch?!?! I have seen something on it before but not sure. Have the got a clutch replacement available (performance or stock) built better to replace with? If so that would be a 2 hr knock out job changing gears and clutch to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks
Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Is there a quiz or something? All this tech jargon is like a 3 credit course. :lol:
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

PCX150Rider wrote:Is there a quiz or something? All this tech jargon is like a 3 credit course. :lol:
Naaahhhh no test or quiz. We do take $$$$ for knowledge to support the brains with coffee lolol j/k

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

Just got back from a 100 mile round trip ride. She performed great. I will need to do the variator or gear change to get off the rev limiter. She got a little buzzy but not to bad. need to lower those rpms at 55-60 mph and she will be happier. To be honest....it was just about to hot to do anything today.

Now to see how my R.A. will react to this ride lol. I need to wash wax and polish her hehehehe.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

@homie OK first of the month I will try your NCY setup. This will have to hold me until I get some better funding for the gear change. I will see if this lowers the rpm range down off the rev limiter and boost the top speed to 65mph that I need. I will never run 70 mph (I hope) but want to ride the ride and not stress the engine. Heck I may never run the 65 mph but need that to climb hills with momentum. Also need to know what belt size for the PCX150 if possible.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

Heedehcheenuh wrote:@homie OK first of the month I will try your NCY setup. This will have to hold me until I get some better funding for the gear change. I will see if this lowers the rpm range down off the rev limiter and boost the top speed to 65mph that I need. I will never run 70 mph (I hope) but want to ride the ride and not stress the engine. Heck I may never run the 65 mph but need that to climb hills with momentum. Also need to know what belt size for the PCX150 if possible.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Great info keep us informed on the out come. Thanks
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!