Help a beginning tinkerer!

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Tomato
Year: 2011
Color: white

Help a beginning tinkerer!

Post by Tomato »

Hello everybody!

I have a stock 2011 PCX 125b that I've been using for a while now, put about 20k miles on it so far.

Now that I am feeling more of a responsible rider I'm looking to go in a direction to try and get a few more mph to the scooter. I've read posts about roller weights, bigger rear wheels, boring the engine, electrical components that supposedly oversee the limiter of the bike(do they even work?)..

Looking for a beginning direction to get her up to if at all possible to 60 to take her on a few more highways.
Any recommendations?
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Re: Help a beginning tinkerer!

Post by relic »

Two schools of thought here. Spend money on an older machine, or buy a new one?
I have run class 8 trucks for the last 32 years, 20 of them with an older machine, that was ten years old when I got it, loved to tinker, the old girl cost me money. 12 years ago bought a brand new one,
the thing is a dream. Is it worth you pouring money something that dosen't suit your purpose anymore?
Tinkering can bleed you.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

postscript
old stuff you are married to tinkering and paying
new stuff you just pay and play.
If you are considering the financial implications between the two choices, there are none.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Can you tell us where you are located so that we can get a better idea of how to advise you? For instance, if you are in europe or the UK, then a 125 cc engine may be your limit. If you live in the United States then a 125cc engine may not be powerful enough for you. Dave had a 125cc pcx and he bumped it up to 170cc, and it was really, really fast. He sold that one and now has another 125cc pcx. It remains to be seen what, if anything, will be done with it. I do know that he loved riding my 150cc pcx.

Essentially, it depends on several things go as to what you do with your older pcx...keep it and upgrade, or trade it in for a newer one.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Tomato
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by Tomato »

Ooops! My bad. Yea I'm on the east coast of the US.

I've considered 'trading up' but.. I guess I'm stubborn. Also I guess as I'm a smaller person at 5' 4" the bike is pretty comfortable and easy to maneuvre for me. Guess I've grown attached to her..

Really I'm just looking for a little extra 'oomph' to keep pace from pushy drivers.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well, since you are in the United States, and you want to keep your older PCX, consider changing out the variator, drive face and rollers. NCY has a great little set up that should give you 10 more mph, plus with the rollers changed down to 13 gram you will be able to get up to speed faster. You can do all of that for a little over $100, if you do the work, which is easy enough since everything is together under that silver/gray cover on the left side.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
u33db
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by u33db »

If its a 125 i would go all the way down to 10g.

I've tried 13g as recommended on here and while it made a difference the bike was not as quick top end as with the 10's.

The 125 doesn't have the same grunt as as 150 so needs to run a bit less weight in my opinion.
Malossi 10.5g rollers
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Malossi yellow variator spring
HJC wind screen
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

u33db wrote:If its a 125 i would go all the way down to 10g.

I've tried 13g as recommended on here and while it made a difference the bike was not as quick top end as with the 10's.

The 125 doesn't have the same grunt as as 150 so needs to run a bit less weight in my opinion.
You're right, 2010-11 model non esp, weights need to go down to 10g to get the best maximum performance from the bike without being too light on rollers. Anything above 10g is luke warm change, pointless change...
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Pcxdemon wrote:
u33db wrote:If its a 125 i would go all the way down to 10g.

You're right, 2010-11 model non esp, weights need to go down to 10g to get the best maximum performance from the bike without being too light on rollers. Anything above 10g is luke warm change, pointless change...
There at are heaps of great variators on webike that will give you more top end speed and better acelaration. Kn Planning is selling complete transmition kit and guarantee you extra 14km/h more top end speed, that's almost 8.5mph? extra, then you got Takegawa vario, Daytona, MFR2 , malossi, interesting Advance Pro vario with steeper face angle but also face pulleys to match the angle of the vario...all of these are well worthy upgrades..
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

My Daytona variator with Advance Pro drive face adds more than 20kph top speed on the centre stand (152kph).
I don't benefit from any of that on the road because my stock variator is already faster than wind resistance allows...
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Tomato wrote:Ooops! My bad. Yea I'm on the east coast of the US. ......
On a web browser, go to the upper right of the page and click "User Control Panel". Once there, click "Profile" in the "Options" menu on the left side of the page. "Location:" is one of the options. That way, we will know your location for every post.

"East Coast, USA" is good enough, or even just "USA". We understand security and privacy concerns, but it helps us to help you better.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(