Detailed instructions on How 2 Change variator, rollers, etc

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Detailed instructions on How 2 Change variator, rollers, etc

Post by grndslm »

First of all, I have no idea what the heck a variator, rollers, sliders, etc. are. I see it mentioned all over this forum with links of where to buy the stuff or pics of the stuff.... but I don't know how to install the stuff.

I'm guessing these somehow attach to the CVT, since I've never heard of these parts before and never owned a CVT before.

Everybody seems to think this is an "easy" install, but I wouldn't have a clue until someone told me how to do it!!

P.S. - My "new to me" 2013 PCX 150 doesn't have even 300 miles on it yet, so I'm assuming I should still be able to re-use the belt, unless it disintegrates with time, as opposed to mileage. . . ??
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Detailed instructions on How 2 Change variator, rollers,

Post by chicaboo »

Slow down fella, you're going ahead of yourself! Run the bike in first and get an idea of what you may need afterwards.
It's easy to think you need 13g rollers/sliders because that's the done thing, but you don't even know the scooter, yet.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Plus you don't NEED it, you might want it but that bike is faster than any stock PCX that has rolled off the assembly line to date. It has a different gearing. Change the oil, break in the engine, get comfortable with the bike and subscribe to my youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... iCDqtNmXyP
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Changing the rollers, etc. is an option after the bike has been broken it. I would not even think about changing out anything until the bike has been ridden for awhile. You may find that it is fine as it is, or you might have the windshield changed, and/or the seat. (The Givi dt323 tall windshield is great if you need protection from the wind...and Thailand has plenty of customized seats that you can buy online.) However, I think your best bet is to just ride for awhile. That way you can better understand what you would like to replace on it, if anything.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

I'm not looking to do this today or anything...

But I'm definitely curious in what this stuff is and why it works... And how easy it is. I just like to know things. What can I say?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

On the left side of your bike you will see a silver/gray cover. Under the cover is where you will find the variator, rollers and belt. The way the transmission works on these bikes is by centrifugal force. The rollers are weights inside the variator, which is round and connected to everything else by way of the belt. Changing the weights changes the time it takes for the belt to reach as far out as it can go. Changing the variator and drive face changes the top end. Together with the rollers change you can increase the scooter'sidecars top end by around 10 mph. Sliders work like rollers but their shape helps in other ways as well. That is the short version. Hope this helps. Still, you don't need to change anything to enjoy a great little bike. Get used to it before trying to modify it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

That seemed to be what I was gathering, that there was an extra 10 mph to be found on the top end....

But then people also seemed to say that it helped with acceleration too!! I just don't see how it can help both. Seems impossible, but I tend to believe a bunch of random people on the internet if no one objects to them.

I'll be enjoying this bike for at least a few months before I decide to do any modding, but still... I always like to know what's possible.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

When you use lighter rollers/sliders there is a loss of torque at low revs, which is quickly overcome by the engine spinning up faster in the mid range.
Most people (well, none...) address this aspect of reducing roller weight, but it's not really a big deal since you get onto the power band much quicker.
This is normal, as your rollers form part of the flywheel's rotating mass. So reducing their weight is like having a lighter flywheel, too...

I've gone from the stock 18g rollers down to 11g sliders, 14g rollers, 13g sliders, and now 12g (mixed 11+13g) sliders and done heaps of testing.
with the 18g rollers your clutch will have a nice bite to it, but will spin up slow. If you go to the other extreme you will notice what I'm talking about...
Low speed ridability is compromised to a degree with lighter sliders. LED owners won't notice, as their stock rollers are 15g (why they accelerate faster).

So, as you've observed, it seems strange you get extra speed and acceleration. Well, there is no such thing as a free lunch, and this is the trade off.
The added top speed is not from the lighter rollers, it's from the additional engine RPM the lighter rollers allow, so you have more power to break wind (resistance). :P
If you have enough power, heavier rollers actually make you go faster. So when doing power mods and tuning, you end up moving to heavier rollers again.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

Hmm... I guess the flywheel analogy makes a little sense.

I love this thing as is right now tho. I was going 60, hit the steepest hill around here (a bridge), and was still accelerating to 64 or so. I definitely haven't even tried to ride wide open throttle, full tuck with backwind, etc...

But acceleration from 45 to 65 is really most important for me, I think. That's pretty much the speeds I'll be driving at on a daily basis. I was planning to start riding an e-bike to with, but figured something that could top out at 60 would be much safer. The PCX 150 suits my situation way better than I could've imagined. Can't believe more people don't know about this thing.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

And here are the instructions for my future reference...

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2598
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The objective of changing just the rollers is to get a quicker start, and thus you get up to speed quicker. You are still limited to the default top end on the pcx 150, which is 64 mph. Some riders can get 65 mph out of it but they feel the limiter kicking in then. The factory rollers are, I believe, 18 gram weights. Changing those down to 13 gram rollers will get you up to speed quicker than the 18 gram rollers, but Honda was looking for better gas mileage, not quicker response.

Changing to the NCY variator AND drive face along with the rollers (the rollers fit inside the variator, so it is easy to change both at the same time) will give you a top end of 75 mph plus a quicker start. However, your mpg will go down some, and at 75 mph on a freeway you will feel as though you are floating. The main advantage of the higher top end is that you can keep up with traffic when climbing a steep grade.... also, it is advised that if your belt has over 3,000 miles on it you should change it when changing the rest of the stuff.

Once again, get use to your bike before you think about making any changes, except for comfort accessories.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

I'll probly just change the rollers then. No need to wait for that. :)
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

I'll still don't understand what the variator is...
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

Here is a Dr pulley link that may explain.

https://youtu.be/yxcQGmT8EJc
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

https://youtu.be/dcDs27QWrRQ

The variator is the blue item and the driven pulley with the clutch is the pink one.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Here's an actual GY6 scooter CVT in action:

grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

So the variator is like the front sprocket? And the clutch is like the rear sprocket? ... *and* the clutch!?!

Makes sense.

Dr Pulley makes a great advertisement. Only positives and no negatives. Dunno if I believe it just yet, but maybe someday.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

grndslm wrote:So the variator is like the front sprocket? And the clutch is like the rear sprocket? ... *and* the clutch!?!

Makes sense.

Dr Pulley makes a great advertisement. Only positives and no negatives. Dunno if I believe it just yet, but maybe someday.
I've used them. They work quite well.