Spacer shaving?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

RuckinEMT
Year: 2017 PCX 150eSP
Color: Pearl White

Spacer shaving?

Post by RuckinEMT »

Hello PCX peeps,

I'm a former Ruckus modifier and Harley Rider, switched to the PCX for city riding.

Anyway, I know on the Ruckus we used to shave the spacer down a bit... This gave us a bit of a quicker take off/High speed. Just curious if anyone here has done this? if so what were the results?

Thanks!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150

Re: Spacer shaving?

Post by homie »

Maybe give us a picture or two so we are clear on the part. I will assume you mean the boss bearing. This would bring the faces a little bit closer together and drive the belt higher at top speeds correct? Not something I would do because it COULD also cause constant contact on the belt when idling, thus premature belt wear.
Attachments
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (126.41 KiB) Viewed 839 times
RuckinEMT

Post by RuckinEMT »

Homie,

That is the correct part. In the ruckus world it was just known as the variator spacer. Thanks for the feedback.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

RuckinEMT wrote:Homie,

That is the correct part. In the ruckus world it was just known as the variator spacer. Thanks for the feedback.
You are most welcome, I haven't seen this mod carry over into PCX/Forza forum but I only joined with a 2015 model. The Ruckus has been around long before my time with scooters. You do tempt me to order a boss bearing and do some trial runs as I have a used belt that I could play with. If one was to "shave the spacer" about how much do you boys start with and how do you get a good square cut?
RuckinEMT

Post by RuckinEMT »

Homie, usually we would start with fractions of a mm and work until we found the "sweet spot" used a lathe to shave them.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Search for threads by Mgalutia, WaspMike and maybe even PCXdemon. I think they used to play with boss length when tuning.
From memory you would need to shim up the axle nut on the other side of the drive face after trimming down the boss.
RuckinEMT

Post by RuckinEMT »

chicaboo wrote:Search for threads by Mgalutia, WaspMike and maybe even PCXdemon. I think they used to play with boss length when tuning.
From memory you would need to shim up the axle nut on the other side of the drive face after trimming down the boss.
That is correct. What were the results?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

RuckinEMT wrote:
chicaboo wrote:Search for threads by Mgalutia, WaspMike and maybe even PCXdemon. I think they used to play with boss length when tuning.
That is correct. What were the results?
I don't recall. At the time I was binge reading about variator mods for the PCX, and that was one of the threads.
I touched on the subject at one point, asking about profiling the drive face and the variator instead of the boss.
I think Oyabun was involved in those threads too? He's very knowledgeable, but doesn't seem interested in the site anymore. :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Unfortunately I don't have access to the lathe or a Machinist to get a perfect part so I'm out but if any of you monkeys have the equipment why not tool one out and lets get this going. I want to break my best speed of 74mph.