the NYC variator

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

chet
Year: 2013
Color: red

the NYC variator

Post by chet »

i put new michelin city tires on my 2013 PCX, i notice the bike rolls real easy as compared to the stock tires i replaced at 3800 miles, as soon as i took it for a ride i noticed i lost acceleration, i can see that since the tires were a smaller dia, question have is, i want to make a change in the drive, i noticed Mel likes the NYC variator, and the front disc and the 13g rollers, i have no problem ordering these but i am curious what will the difference be if i just replace the rollers to 13g in the stock drive as to the NYC set up.

Chet
ps should i replace the belt, if so what belt is the one to get.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Re: the NYC variator

Post by k2apache6.0 »

I would stick with the stock belt. The stock weights in the 2013 US model PCX 150 are either 16 or 18g each, cant remember which. Changing to 13g rollers will give you some peppier acceleration without making the engine race to catch up, they are the 'Goldilocks' weight for the v2 PCX in forum opinion ..Just right.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I had just 13 sliders and then did the whole NCY setup. The diff is subtle, but the full NCY is smoother accel and a slight bit more.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
chet

Post by chet »

thanks for the replies. one thing i am skeptical is the front half of the variator with the fins does not have pin holes for the holding tool to loosen and tighten the nut on the engine shaft like the stock one.

Chet
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Gentlemen, if any of you are going to replace your variator with a NCY one, please include the NCY Drive Face as well. The combination is what makes the difference, as well as the 13 gm rollers or sliders.
Also, I have found that Michelin City Grips hold the road better than either the IRC that were on my wife's bike, or the Dunlop that were on mine. Some of the members do not agree. For my wife and I, they helped a lot. I still have to change out my front tire, which is still the original Dunlop, but when I ride my wife's PCX I can feel the difference. Therefore I have to say that if you think they might help, then go for it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Here's the whole kit you use:
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Yessir,
I can attest to Mel and Glens set up having fitted those parts myself after some experimentation with the stocker and sliders. Its ideal with gains in acceleration and top end (I got an extra 8mph) over the stocker. The worst thing about the NCY as Chet pointed out is the lack of 'holes' to keep the thing still while you tighten the nut, I bought a vice grip tool with tangs to hold it, but still, C'mon NCY!
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

chet wrote:thanks for the replies. one thing i am skeptical is the front half of the variator with the fins does not have pin holes for the holding tool to loosen and tighten the nut on the engine shaft like the stock one.

Chet
I'm a fan of NCY kits and the lack of pin holes for removal and torque values in installation is no big deal. Use a large oil filter tool to install but might need an impact wrench to remove. The torque value is only 44 foot pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=8YbdE6pdLTE

Use the 13 gram rollers, proven best results
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=-NRc9g3Dasw

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=qS4vpDdGUsw
chet

Post by chet »

i went to the webpage mel suggested to order the parts, i left them an email 2 days ago to see if everything is in stock, they never got back to me, anywhere else to try

chet
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

chet wrote:i went to the webpage mel suggested to order the parts, i left them an email 2 days ago to see if everything is in stock, they never got back to me, anywhere else to try
chet
I don't see where Mel mentions a seller so here is where I ordered the kit.

http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... rive-face/
http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... on-pulley/
http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... ights-13g/

Pay no attention to the 125cc reference these work on all PCX any year and any cubic centimeter.

The rollers are a little cheaper on Amazon but I don't even know if you are stateside, please put more info in your profile when you get a chance.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L3 ... UTF8&psc=1
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Corsportusa.com usually has these , even if others no longer stock them. They do ship overseas, but it is not cheap. As a member in Australia has mentioned, some other brands may be more available in your country. It will be up to you to decide if it is worth your while and money. For me, it is. I have not checked into the cost of forwarding these items to someone from my home, but I suspect that the costs would be ab0out the same as directly from the website.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

or you could order a multivar kit from malossi aus, a bit more expensive than most aftermarket variator kits but does also comes with contra spring to help maintain higher revs. http://www.malossistore.com.au/en/produ ... =-1&Type=M

Fuel economy will decrease by around 20% so it has less mpg but many more spg(smiles per gallon)
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
chet

Post by chet »

well i installed the NYC kit yesterday, not thrilled about the new outer drive face not having the 2 holes like the stock unit for torquing the nut, took it out for a test run only about 5 miles, from a standing start, acceleration is very linear, top speed with the old worn tire and stock setup top speed was between 66-67mph now it seems i can only get 62-63mph, did not change the belt, was windy, so maybe next time out when its calm i am hoping to get at least my 66-67mph back, thats a MAYBE. if i had to guess my stock set up with the worn rear tire might have had better off the line get up and go. i am the only one to possible have lost top end with the NYC set up, i used the 13g rollers also.

chet
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

It takes 100 miles or more for the belt to bed in to match the new variator and drive face angles.
So don't expect the best from the new setup on day one. Unless of course day one is a big day. :P

And some subliminal messaging:
chet

Post by chet »

chicaboo wrote:It takes 100 miles or more for the belt to bed in to match the new variator and drive face angles.
So don't expect the best from the new setup on day one. Unless of course day one is a big day. :P

And some subliminal messaging:
thanks for the good news. i am hoping for the best
chet
Scoobscoot
Color: RED

Post by Scoobscoot »

Today I finally got around to installing the NCY parts I bought last summer, I went with 12g rollers

Noticeable increase in acceleration off the line and between 30-40mph where I wanted it

Did you notice it is also much louder?

I was thinking about drilling a small hole in the muffler to get noticed more, but with the NCY kit the higher revs at lower speeds make it much louder

Thinking I never noticed it how loud it got max revs above 50mph due to wind noise, but now it revs straight off the line and is almost annoyingly loud to me
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

For everyone who want to change or has already changed over to NCY, you can use the stock belt but remember that if it is close to its mid life expectancy your top end will not be as good as you hoped. I usually suggest that the belt get changed at the same time as the upgrade is done. Your improvement in performance should be noticeable after it seats.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Scoobscoot wrote:Today I finally got around to installing the NCY parts I bought last summer, I went with 12g rollers

Noticeable increase in acceleration off the line and between 30-40mph where I wanted it

Did you notice it is also much louder?

I was thinking about drilling a small hole in the muffler to get noticed more, but with the NCY kit the higher revs at lower speeds make it much louder

Thinking I never noticed it how loud it got max revs above 50mph due to wind noise, but now it revs straight off the line and is almost annoyingly loud to me
Good job... and yes I agree 12g rollers do not seem optimal for typical driving with that kit. I guess if you had some hill climbing to do they are okay. If I were you I'd order the 13's and put them in the not so distant future.

Why is everyone drilling holes in stuff these days :lol: don't seem right
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

In my stock variator I find 13g sliders are ok, at almost 7500rpm during acceleration.
12g sliders take me to almost 8000rpm, which puts the CVT close to max power.
Given this I'm thinking 11.5g sliders or rollers would give you max power on a 150.

14g rollers and 13g sliders were the best compromise for best economy vs power.
But if you find 12g too noisy, you might like 14g, since 13g isn't much different...
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

chicaboo wrote: 13g sliders were the best compromise for best economy vs power.
But if you find 12g too noisy, you might like 14g, since 13g isn't much different...
You are right Chicaboo, there is noticeable improvement with 13 gram rollers in the NCY variator on PCX. The bike will accelerate nicely and top out with better speed and nothing sounds too annoying.

Here is what you can expect after things settle in Chet 8) You will do even better with stock tires. Get it right Chet, we want you to rock that Honda. Oh and a cheap tachometer will be critical in bench marking your results. It gets better and better as the belt wears in bro.