How Well Does the PCX 150 Pull from 50 to 60 MPH?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

How Well Does the PCX 150 Pull from 50 to 60 MPH?

Post by PCX150Rider »

Spring has started to emerge. The motorcycle dealer showrooms will be busy (hopefully). Before I go ahead and get a new PCX 150 I have a couple of last minute questions that I can't answer because I don't have the experience riding one yet. . .and most of you all do.

One of my concerns is how well does the machine pull from a pace of 50 MPH when you twist the throttle fully locked to achieve 60 MPH? Does it take a while? Do I have time to order a pizza? Or does it respond with authority? I'm not worried about it pulling off the line from a dead stop. . .even my 49cc scooter does that Okay. It's the higher end performance where torque plays a key role. I've seen the YouTube videos where people accelerate and maintain momentum getting onto Interstate type highways and push 60 MPH but there aren't any hills.

I weigh around 250 lbs. and I do understand that has a significant influence on how a 153cc machine performs.

The reason I ask is there are some stretches of two lane road that I'd like to use it on with a posted speed limit of 50 MPH for the most part and some medium hills here and there. If I get somebody in a hurry behind me or I'm heading into a hill (or it's really windy) I need to know if the PCX 150 can pull with respectable enthusiasm towards 60 MPH. . .or at least solidly hold 55 MPH under those conditions. I'm looking at 50 mile round trips. . .nice casual scenic rides. I just don't want to feel like I've got to "bull wip" the thing like I do on my 49cc scoot.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Re: How Well Does the PCX 150 Pull from 50 to 60 MPH?

Post by JohnL »

You'll notice a huge difference in power and speed compared to your 49cc scoot. Acceleration on the PCX from 50mph to 60mph is definitely not earth-shatteringly fast, particularly if you're travelling up a slight incline but it won't die in the bum like a 49cc.

I ride for a short distance on a local freeway posted 100kph (60mph) and have no trouble keeping up with traffic, I've even passed a slower old coot (I'm 75 he looked older than me :D ). The freeway is a haven for speed cameras so you don't get too many crazy hoons going way over the speed limit.

My longest trip has been around 165km (100miles) on a variety of roads posted from 40kph (24mph) to 100kph (60mph) and still felt refreshed at the finish.

You won't regret the move.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

Its ok, not fast. It keeps up with normal traffic pretty easily till you cross the 60 mph mark. After that the acceleration gets slower until it tops out around 68 to 70 depending on wind and hills.

On my commute I cross the Hoan bridge which has a 3.1 % grade and climbs 125 ft in under a mile. I can usually accelerate up this hill from 50 mph at the base to 60 as I hit the crest. I weigh 210 lbs.

I do highly recommend installing dr pulley sliders as soon as possible. ( mine are 13 grams ). They make a enormous difference in acceleration below 50 mph and gave a tiny boost to top speed. With the stock rollers, hwy on ramps weren't fun as cars would be crawling up my backside due to too slow acceleration. With the sliders, I usually ride up their backsides instead.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I found that my PCX performed much better in that range after I changed the rollers. Of course, it was even better after I changed the variator and drive face. However, since your PCX will be new it will have a break in time and will not be able to reach its potential top end for a few months.
The first inspection will be important because the valves will be re-adjusted and the oil will be changed, which is important due to the particles and shavings as the parts seat.
You will probably feel more comfortable if you add a real windshield too.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thanks to everyone for the comments. . .

I was on the edge of getting a PCX or holding out to see if there would be a new 300 Forza on the market but from what I'm reading the PCX will do the job. I've got my motorcycles to lean on for sport touring or on/off road rides where speed and design plays a bigger role. I'm glad the PCX 150 has been a workable solution to get to places "on the cheap" and do it reliably.

I'll keep in mind the 13g sliders and the NCY products. I'll let the scooter do the break in and change the oil/filter IAW the manual. It will be interesting to see the limits of the stock shocks. I think the first and following valve checks are every 4,000 miles now but I'll verify that. As part of the deal I'm going to request the dealer to throw in the Service Manual and see what happens. If it's a hardship I'll just order one online. I like to perform my own maintenance so I'm going to start another topic about the required tools in the Technical section.

FWIW the dealer I plan on doing business with shows three "White" ones in stock. My bike insurance renews in May so after that I'll I stop by there. It will be interesting to see if 2018's are hitting the market by then also. . .will the rumors be fact or fiction? I posted this link recently but am posting it again in case anyone overlooked it

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2018-honda ... es-pcx-150
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by BPT7594 »

It will pull fine.
If you buy the new pcx 150, don't change the variator. Just put in 13 or 14 gr rollers and you'll be fine.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Can pull it up there pretty fast for me, but I'm only 140 pounds. :D
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I found that my PCX performed much better in that range after I changed the rollers. Of course, it was even better after I changed the variator and drive face. However, since your PCX will be new it will have a break in time and will not be able to reach its potential top end for a few months.
The first inspection will be important because the valves will be re-adjusted and the oil will be changed, which is important due to the particles and shavings as the parts seat.
You will probably feel more comfortable if you add a real windshield too.
Hey Mel, I see where Maddiedog posted in the Technical Help section the maintenance schedules for the PCX's right up through 2016 and newer (page 2 of 2). It is 4,000 miles now on the first and following valve adjustments for scooters made after 2016. I think Red Baron mentioned it as well when he got his new machine.

That being said I think it's still a good idea to listen closely to what the new motor sounds like when I get it (as a benchmark) and see if I can detect any subtle changes as the miles stack up. If it gets really really quiet I think I'd be apt to check the valves sooner rather than later. But if it remains stable without any significant change in noise then it's probably doing what it's supposed to. From what I understand the PCX motors are so quiet that you hardly notice they are running with a full face helmet on at a stop light. 8)

I'm going to run with a stock windshield for a while to see how things work out. If it seems it would be worth the investment then I'm thinking either National Cycle or Givi. ;)
HondaPro Kevin

Post by HondaPro Kevin »

PCX150Rider wrote:
FWIW the dealer I plan on doing business with shows three "White" ones in stock. My bike insurance renews in May so after that I'll I stop by there. It will be interesting to see if 2018's are hitting the market by then also. . .will the rumors be fact or fiction? I posted this link recently but am posting it again in case anyone overlooked it

Thanks for taking the time to share a link over to my blog. It's greatly appreciated ;)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

If you are 250 lbs forgetaboutit.. Going up a hill it will significantly die off on you. This bike is a commuter style bike made for the Asian market (smaller folks) , very maneuverable, and easy to handle, but on a freeway at higher speeds it will get viby and hills and wind will slow you down significantly. The PCX is fun, agile bike , but mostly designed for urban traffic(45 mph or less) with the occasional sprint in my view.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

If you are 250 lbs forgetaboutit.. Going up a hill it will significantly die off on you. This bike is a commuter style bike made for the Asian market (smaller folks) , very maneuverable, and easy to handle, but on a freeway at higher speeds it will get viby and hills and wind will slow you down significantly. The PCX is fun, agile bike , but mostly designed for urban traffic(45 mph or less) with the occasional sprint in my view.
Thanks for that realistic comment. Appreciate it since I am close to that weight. It's one of the reasons why I was hoping Honda would be releasing a new improved version of the Forza 300 for 2018. My local dealer hasn't heard anything in the pipeline about that but will keep me in the loop if they do. They expect to have the 2018 PCXs at their dealership in a couple of months but were willing to give me a great deal on a leftover 2017 right now. I'm going to wait though. . .still need time to think.

I'm reassessing my situation and trying to weigh out my options. Once I make this next purchase that is it for me. So I've got to be happy with what I have plus a new PCX or remove and replace one of my motorcycles with a bigger scooter. . .hence the Forza 300. :roll:

Getting around on my Roughhouse 50 has been OK and I've amazed myself with what I've done with it and places I've ridden to. But wind and hills are the enemy. Also anxious drivers who tailgate are a pain in the neck. At WOT 50 MPH just isn't going to happen. . .not enough power left on tap for those awkward situations. So I need to move up to a larger scooter. . ..

PCX or ???? Time will tell. 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

As per the manuals and the review above, ... even for the newest PCX, Under the subheading of: "How will maintaining and servicing your PCX150 affect your wallet?"

"Per the owners manual, your first service is due at 600 miles or one month – whichever comes first." After that it is every 4,000 miles. The first service at such a short interval is very important.

According to that review though, "It still won’t break the bank though as your first service does not exceed the $100 bill mark." Really?? Maybe I should have waited for the newest version of the PCX, because my first service was closer to $300 than the $100 mark.

Still, the PCX is a great little machine, no matter what year.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

As per the manuals and the review above, ... even for the newest PCX, Under the subheading of: "How will maintaining and servicing your PCX150 affect your wallet?"

"Per the owners manual, your first service is due at 600 miles or one month – whichever comes first." After that it is every 4,000 miles. The first service at such a short interval is very important.

According to that review though, "It still won’t break the bank though as your first service does not exceed the $100 bill mark." Really?? Maybe I should have waited for the newest version of the PCX, because my first service was closer to $300 than the $100 mark.

Still, the PCX is a great little machine, no matter what year.
You are right Mel about that first service. . .I.E. the almighty oil change and new filter. The other stuff (looking for loose bolts or loose ends) is important as well. Especially if the inspector at the factory got interrupted by a Supervisor picking his brain about something he did 3 weeks ago and it got passed in a hurry. :lol:

I'll probably do all my own work. It looks like they don't have any ethanol issues with them at this point and the only other chink in the armor I can think of may be that clutch face thing (driven face, set?) in the rear hub that can make noise if it's running dry due to insufficient grease. They haven't reported any crankshaft problems like with the CB300F or CBR300R either.

I conflicted right now because I've had an offer from a local dealer to sell me a new leftover 2017 PCX for about $450 off suggested retail and there is another dealer in the state with a leftover 2015 Forza 300 for $4,699. Still waiting until June though. . .will see what happens and the 2018 PCX models will be here by then anyways. It would be interesting to see if they have the City Grips on them. . .
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

City Grips aren't worth $450 fitted, though. Maybe the warm fuzzies are, I dunno. :P
That $450 on a 2017 could get you most of the accessories people add to the scoot.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

City Grips aren't worth $450 fitted, though. Maybe the warm fuzzies are, I dunno. :P
That $450 on a 2017 could get you most of the accessories people add to the scoot.
That is true. . .and I think about this all the time. I checked today and they are still listed in stock. :D

I do need to wait for my current insurance policy to run out over the next few weeks. I've already paid for next year's policy and as soon as that takes effect the end of May I'm all in for the new Honda. That is a certainty. It's most likely the PCX. But a leftover 2015 Forza 300 at a dealer within my range is giving me pause to ask myself is the extra power it offers something I need. :?

I expect the PCX to perform pretty well up to about 50 MPH with my weight on it. That speed range will get me through the kind of traffic that was a frustrating venture sometimes with the 49cc two-stroke I have. Hills and wind were a ball and chain. Based on what others have said and my own riding experience I'm confident the PCX will give me the extra power I need for "in town" traffic and country back roads that are relatively flat with mild elevation changes. And. . .if I cut back on some potato chips and snacks that would help lighten the load and probably be good for more MPH and more fun per mile. :lol:

As an added note I do realize the PCX has an oil screen and not a filter. . .the Forza has a regular filter though. I misspoke on a previous post. The screen just needs to be cleaned to get the metal grit out and any other contaminates.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

PCX150Rider wrote:
That is true. . .and I think about this all the time. I checked today and they are still listed in stock. :D

I do need to wait for my current insurance policy to run out over the next few weeks. I've already paid for next year's policy and as soon as that takes effect the end of May I'm all in for the new Honda. That is a certainty. It's most likely the PCX. But a leftover 2015 Forza 300 at a dealer within my range is giving me pause to ask myself is the extra power it offers something I need. :?

I expect the PCX to perform pretty well up to about 50 MPH with my weight on it. That speed range will get me through the kind of traffic that was a frustrating venture sometimes with the 49cc two-stroke I have. Hills and wind were a ball and chain. Based on what others have said and my own riding experience I'm confident the PCX will give me the extra power I need for "in town" traffic and country back roads that are relatively flat with mild elevation changes. And. . .if I cut back on some potato chips and snacks that would help lighten the load and probably be good for more MPH and more fun per mile. :lol:
Before getting hung up on a Forza you really need to sit on one and see if you fit.
I only have 1/4" clearance from my bare knees to the dash. The PCX is like 4"+!
If I wore the most basic CE rated leg protection, my knees would hit the dash...

I stuff around with my PCX every now and then, and I've noticed the aerodynamics play a big part in top speed.
When I had the front disassembled for a few weeks the scoot had trouble breaking 50mph at all.
Then there's ​been times when it's adequately gotten to it's 72mph aerodynamic/power speed limit.

My scoot feels slow ATM with a possible wonky clutch and over-aspirated with the bigger TB and pod filter.
Add to that I'm a big dude, and that's an uphill battle for any small scoot to take on.

I try to avoid 60mph+ roads since the scooter doesn't feel comfortable at those speeds anyhow.
But I do feel this limits me to some degree as to where I can go, which is somewhat frustrating.
In the future I would like a 300cc+ scoot or a 300-650cc moto for going on longer rides and bigger adventures.
u33db
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by u33db »

Ironically, depending what 2 stroke you had you could have fitted a 70cc big bore, exhaust and carb for a modest outlaw and be running way more power than the PCX not to mention being lighter.

Though granted it wouldn't have felt as substantial on the open road, or be as reliable (maybe).
Malossi 10.5g rollers
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Malossi yellow variator spring
HJC wind screen
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Before getting hung up on a Forza you really need to sit on one and see if you fit.
I only have 1/4" clearance from my bare knees to the dash. The PCX is like 4"+!
If I wore the most basic CE rated leg protection, my knees would hit the dash...
I've read more than one article that the ergos on the Forza are different than the PCX. . . :geek:

I have sat on a 2013 PCX when they had the "seat hump" in a showroom and although I would have preferred it wasn't there it didn't seem to propose a problem on my first impression. I had a chance to start it up (briefly) and it was very quiet. The leg room did seem adequate(at least for me) and the fully locked handlebar movement from side to side didn't interfere with my knees. I did kind of miss not having the traditional flat deck for carrying stuff but it's something I can get used to and I plan on using soft luggage saddle bags anyways. :D

As far as the Forza I have no experience. But I am aware that for some people the sitting position is not altogether perfect. Your comment about lack of clearance with the dash is indeed too tight. I have a similar but different problem with my 49cc scooter. The DOT turn signals have to be installed to comply with the law of the land but interfere with my knees. I have broken one off already and replaced it after making a tight turn at an intersection to get around a pot hole. The seat is not abundantly padded although it's a comfortable riding position and the flat deck has come in handy. Those turn signals are a shortfall though. I'm going to keep my 49cc scoot (MOPED) to use when it rains or during winter when they salt the roads for short runs. It's easy to clean. I'd like to maintain the new finish on the PCX as long as I can. ;)

When I have to park on dirt or gravel with my motorcycles I usually put a pad under the side stand so it doesn't dig in and cause the bike to lay over. The nice thing about the PCX is that it isn't all that much heavier than my 49cc scoot and I probably won't need to do that. Just put the side stand down and it's fine. . .. The Forza weighs over 400 lbs. as do my motorcycles.

Since I've got the motorcycles for long hauls the PCX continues to be my first choice. The discount price on the Forza got my attention though. If I didn't already have the motorcycles I may have jumped on it. I know that the PCX will outperform the 49cc sufficiently and at the end of the day that's all I need I guess. 8)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Ironically, depending what 2 stroke you had you could have fitted a 70cc big bore, exhaust and carb for a modest outlaw and be running way more power than the PCX not to mention being lighter.

Though granted it wouldn't have felt as substantial on the open road, or be as reliable (maybe).
Know what you are saying. . .and the H4-35W headlight bulb (not LED) is just adequate. Anything faster than 40 MPH at night pushes the outer reaches of the effective viewing area.

A BBK wouldn't be putting my money where it's going to do the most good although the thought did cross my mind. As I mentioned above on the other post the turn signals are a problem and interfere with my knees on tight turns. . . :o

The existing stock 2-stroke is also designed to pass the CARB emissions requirements and by modifying that I end up not being a good neighbor. The PCX gets superior MPG and does it more cleanly.

Also, the suspension is just adequate. Does the job but it doesn't take much for me to bottom out the front forks and they are just sprung. . . not like regular oil filled shocks. The seat is hard. . .well to make a story short the PCX will work out better for me for several reasons in the long run. But I'll keep the 49cc for short run emergencies or bad weather. 8)

You may be familiar with the PGO PMX 50. . .that is basically what the Genuine Roughhouse 50 is. Kind of like the Zuma 50 two-strokes in days of yore. Nice, great performance for what they are, with 10 inch fat wheels. There is a newer sportier version with 12 inch wheels available also. . .more un-sprung weight. Genuine also had what they called a Rattler 110 (2-stroke) for a while and that thing flew. The closest thing Genuine (PGO Importer) has to match the PCX is their Hooligan which is a nice machine but the dealer support is far and few between in my area. In fact the dealer I bought my Roughhouse from also sold Vespa and they have since closed. I think there is only one Vespa dealer still going in my state. So having a Honda product with local more easily accessible dealers works for me. :geek: