Mixing rollers

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: White

Mixing rollers

Post by Brent »

My memory says I have asked this question before . . . and I did search for quite a while looking for a previous answer!

What is the consensus, opinion, and/or experience of mixing roller weights together in an alternating pattern? I have the stock 15g rollers in my NYC variator and drive face. I came across a set of NYC 15g and 13g rollers, and was THINKING of alternating them in the variator in a 15/13/15/13/15/13 pattern. The internet research I did was mixed on the idea. Riders in Europe say they do it a lot.

OK, unleash your harsh comments!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Mixing rollers

Post by homie »

I will try...
Roller/slider weight determines pressure on the drive face x RPM
Sum total of weight (however you mix it) as long as it dispersed and balanced around the ramps evenly only gives you more increments and options for that 'total' roller/slider weight. I would think you could get close to, or find your sweet spot for your desired performance with consistent weights.

I vote no for the possibility of heavier rollers wearing faster that lighter in the same vario.

Ok now beat on me :D
Last edited by homie on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
u33db
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by u33db »

The PCX is my first 4 stoke scooter/Honda.

Before this I've had a lot of 50cc 2 strokes like Yamaha BWS (i think you call them Zuma over there in the US?)

On all those related sites it pretty common to mix roller weights so its not just a thing we do in Europe! :)

I don't see any problem so long as you keep them ordered the same (LIGHT>HEAVY, LIGHT>HEAVY, LIGHT>HEAVY) and keep the variator balanced. If you are tuning it saves having to buy every possible roller weight you might want to try.

That said rollers aren't expensive, and on the PCX I don't think you have reason to buy the same vast selection of rollers you'd need on a 2 stroke so is there any reason to mix?
Malossi 10.5g rollers
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Malossi yellow variator spring
HJC wind screen
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Yes, I'm putting this issue in a category of uneven roller/slider WEAR,
as the heavier rollers carry more load with less of them doing it.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

There's no problem alternating roller weights, but I wouldn't bother mixing 13s and 15s to make 14g average. Just go all out and try 13g.