Chicaboo's BBK kit and performance mods.

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Re: Chicaboo's BBK kit and performance mods.

Post by JohnL »

You're lucky to have friends that care and make sure you got medical treatment

We really live in a caring sharing society "NOT". I can't believe that some Oz employers treat their staff like throw away consumables. Money is the new God and people mean nothing.

Old fart's rant over now.

Hopefully, you will recover real soon and your boss will realise you are an asset, not just a means of making him rich.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Yeah, I'm glad I had someone around to help me out. Often times it doesn't seem like that, though.

The boss just called me and was a bit more understanding than he was the other day. Maybe because I told him off? Dunno...
Anyhow, it seems like he's gonna bug me everyday while I'm off work to still get my input on jobs to keep things moving.
He wants me to ease back into it a few hours/day starting from next week maybe. I'll see how I go, but that seems ambitious.

Gav.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

My boss was a real a***hole, but I couldn't complain as I was self-employed. :D :D :D
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

So, today is two weeks since the crash. I'm healing slowly and the pain isn't as bad as it was.
Since, I was feeling a little better I had a casual look over the scooter to assess the damage.
Basically it's all the plastics on the right side, the mirror, front brake lever and the exhaust.
I don't know if there's any hidden damage to the centre block & meter panel (the dash parts).

I've had a Tsukigi RRGS exhaust coming on the slow boat from Indonesia for a while, so that's not a problem.
As for the brake levers, I can either order a new set off eBay or put the stock levers back on? I'm not fussed.
Replacement plastics from BikerzBits are $240AUD, and from PowerByPCX with an extra key bezel is $220AUD.
Considering I can get an extra part and pay less, with half the shipping time, I will be going with PowerByPCX.

I've had friends suggest that I would be better off paying the premium and getting the HUGE payout from insurance.
Yeah, that's tempting. But given how cheap the repair is (apart from the helmet...), I'd rather see the scoot finished.
I was really excited at how well the scoot was running with the complete intake mods and EJK tuning the fuel injector.
I can't wait to see how well it will go with the BBK and cam finally installed after I've finished healing and am to it.

I'm hoping my buddy with the red PCX can come over tomorrow or Monday and check it over and take it for a test ride.
Then we can see if there was a problem with tyre pressures or the centre stand dragging and go from there, basically.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Hey, I'm really sorry to read about your accident. I left off on this thread when you had battery issues and thought I'd check back to see the latest developments. Had no idea. . .. :o

We (that know now) are all rooting for you to heal and get better soon.

Been there, done that, but not as bad as what happened to you. Thank God the guy behind you stopped to help you get up and get your scooter off to the side even though he was a dullard for leaving. The helmet did the job right? As if life isn't already complicated enough. :geek:
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Thanks Mr Rider, yep the helmet saved me getting knocked out. They are compulsory here across Australia, so it's really a non-issue.
The big plus is that my jacket seemed to save me getting any injury to my arm and shoulder, except where it was pushed into my ribs.
If I had CE armour in my pants, I probably wouldn't have even got any bruising on my legs? My boots protected my right foot really well.
I'm going to look for a jacket that has some sort of protection over my ribs, even if they are soft padding or air cells, hell, I don't care...

Quite frankly, I am totally stunned how badly I was hurt in a low speed crash. But then I had the weight of the scooter slam down on me.
Over the decades I've had some crazy bicycle accidents, but I don't recall any ending with broken bones, even at much higher speeds.

In an interesting turn of events, the boss has been more understanding, and is even now going to give me a raise in July for my dedication.
To my surprise, he even paid me in full for the last two weeks, even though I only claimed one week with holidays and sick leave?!
Maybe I did leave a hole in the bucket of water? Maybe I whinge too much? I dunno, it's working out not at all how I thought it would, good!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Check out what happens to this guy at 18:28 on the video. Let it run for a bit and you'll see what happens as he goes into a left hander. . .. He was in the middle of doing a review on his PCX 150.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCONB24JyUs

The metal grinding noise got his attention rather abruptly. o_O
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I heard metal scraping for a fraction of a second and then I was on the ground.
I'm wondering if I should get blocks to raise the rear suspension by 30mm?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I heard metal scraping for a fraction of a second and then I was on the ground.
I'm wondering if I should get blocks to raise the rear suspension by 30mm?
Congrats on your raise and I'll bet it's a relief the Boss is being more aware of your value and your challenges right now.

When you are healed up enough to do it, I would first check the scooter frame and stands to see if anything looks shiny or bent or has indications of contact with the road surface causing grinding action (flattening or wearing down). Since I can only compare it to my Roughhouse at this time I'd also look at plastic parts to see if any of those look worn or damaged. Once you know where the machine has been making contact (or getting snagged) you can go from there. It's possible one of the stands got bent or mangled and caused interference somehow. :geek:

On my old Rebel 250 I flattened the bottom of the down pipes of my exhaust system on both sides early on from making turns on elevation changes. Not drastic but enough that I knew I could only go so far before they would bottom out. I guess the PCX must have it's limits on how far one should push it into turns. . .or if rider weight is a factor.

I'll check to see how much I compress the suspension when I check it out at the dealership. If the ergos or suspension seems it's going to be an issue for a heavyweight like me I may hit the up button and go for a CB300F or CBR300R. There is a leftover 2015 Forza 300 about 35 miles away at a more distant dealership I may consider also. My local dealer is only about 20 miles away and a lot easier to get to.

Maybe check to see if something just plain cracked and broke. Nothing was dragging though when you rode it home right? No rear wheel bottoming out on the fender or anything like that?
It's a tough nut to crack. . .. :geek:
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

It scraped on a speed bump a little earlier, which is why I turned around and head home, then having the accident the next time it scraped.
I think it's a combination of rear shock pressure, tyre pressure and the angle of the roundabout being on a hill catching the centre stand?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

It scraped on a speed bump a little earlier, which is why I turned around and head home, then having the accident the next time it scraped.
I think it's a combination of rear shock pressure, tyre pressure and the angle of the roundabout being on a hill catching the centre stand?
I know that on my Roughhouse (PGO PMX) if the tire pressures get a little soft (especially on the back tire) it makes a big difference in the handling. They are fat 10 inch tires. The newer Roughhouse Sport has 12 inch tires. It surprised me a couple of times already. Felt like jello. The tires generally hold their air good but like any tire you have to check the pressures now and then for seasonal changes or whatever. Unless I notice a dramatic change in the visual appearance of the tires (like if I picked up a nail or piece of glass) I check the pressures about once a month. Sometimes I just press in on the tread with my fingers before I ride to see if all seems normal. 8)

It's possible on that speed bump you may have jogged something outboard more on one of the stands as well.

Or, a combination of things occurred as you mentioned with the tires and suspension.

Bottom line is you are healing now and have time to think about your course of action moving forward. :geek:
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Update:

It started raining today, so I went out to the verandah and hopped on the scooter and duck-waddled it forward a couple feet to keep it dry.
Hmm, the scooter seemed to squat down an extra couple of inches and made that unmistakeable squishy squeaky flat tyre sound. :(
I tried looking at the back tyre while I had my weight on the scooter, but I can't turn my body enough to see just how flat the tyre is.
I got off the scooter and tried squeezing the back tyre, but I'm too weak to simulate my body weight on the bike to tell if it's even flat. :?

Anyhow, I'm still waiting for my buddy to come over and have a look over the scooter and see what's wrong.
But it seems like I got a puncture and a slow leak on my last ride before the accident, and lost enough pressure to catch the centre stand?
The way the bike felt and sounded when I moved it seems like it's lost a fair bit more pressure even without my weight on it not riding it.
The good news is that I have a spare used Pirelli Diablo here that I can use for a replacement at the same time I change my exhaust.
More good news, the scooter started first go after having not been used for two weeks. So the Redline 190cca battery is working well. :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Hope you find what the problem was. . ..

Sort of makes you curse the individual who came up with the phrase "No pain no gain" right? ;)

If you or your buddy has a cell phone with a camera maybe you could use it to take some pics underneath the frame on the PCX that would otherwise be difficult to see. If he doesn't show up maybe put it on a garden hoe (lightly tape it on the non-screen side to the hoe) and lower it underneath and let it run video. . .macro mode if required.

It would allow you to observe and review the situation.

When I check for tire punctures I make sure the tire pressure is up to spec and then put some soapy water over wheel and look for bubbles. Also you may notice a chard of something or remains of a nail. Roofing nails are the worst.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Update:

It started raining today, so I went out to the verandah and hopped on the scooter and duck-waddled it forward a couple feet to keep it dry.
Hmm, the scooter seemed to squat down an extra couple of inches and made that unmistakeable squishy squeaky flat tyre sound. :(
I tried looking at the back tyre while I had my weight on the scooter, but I can't turn my body enough to see just how flat the tyre is.
I got off the scooter and tried squeezing the back tyre, but I'm too weak to simulate my body weight on the bike to tell if it's even flat. :?

Anyhow, I'm still waiting for my buddy to come over and have a look over the scooter and see what's wrong.
But it seems like I got a puncture and a slow leak on my last ride before the accident, and lost enough pressure to catch the centre stand?
The way the bike felt and sounded when I moved it seems like it's lost a fair bit more pressure even without my weight on it not riding it.
The good news is that I have a spare used Pirelli Diablo here that I can use for a replacement at the same time I change my exhaust.
More good news, the scooter started first go after having not been used for two weeks. So the Redline 190cca battery is working well. :)
Did you find out what the problem is yet? Anything broken under the frame, stands, or bad tires?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I haven't heard from my buddy yet. If I had a selfie stick I could put my phone under the scoot to check, maybe?
If the crankcase isn't cracked or damaged​ around the centre stand mounts, everything should be OK.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Update:

It's been 3 weeks since the crash, and I'm back at work full time this week. I can't wait for this raise in 6 weeks, I hope it's a good one!
My buddy said he was going to come around yesterday and look under the scooter, but he decided to help his neighbour instead, and hurt himself doing so... :roll:
It's been quite an interesting and eye-opening journey getting what I didn't expect, first from my boss, and then from scooter buddy. Ups and downs, eh? :?
Anyhow, I'm not ready to roll around on the ground under the scooter yet myself, so I may have to resort to waving the phone camera under it in macro mode?
My Tsukigi RRGS exhaust from Indonesia still hasn't turned up. But I guess it doesn't matter with me still healing and the scoot having a flat rear tyre.
Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be up to starting on the repairs, assuming there's no damage to the crankcase where the centre stand mounts are located.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Hey Chicaboo,
Hope you've healed up good since May. How things are going with you and the scoot?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

What? when? I must have been on vacation when this happened. Three broken ribs and you rode home o_O Sorry I missed this whole thread until now man. What a story and I will not look at speed bumps the same way from now on. Glad you had that helmet on and you shouldn't be sad it did it's job saving your noggin. Show a picture of the helmet if you get a chance, how bad can it be? You are a trooper and I wondered where you went off to, now I know the rest of the story.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

PCX150Rider wrote:Check out what happens to this guy at 18:28 on the video. Let it run for a bit and you'll see what happens as he goes into a left hander. . .. He was in the middle of doing a review on his PCX 150.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCONB24JyUs

The metal grinding noise got his attention rather abruptly. o_O
After he made the left turn, he said something "actually I shouldn't have turned into this lane, I should have turned wider" ..... In most USA States, the legal left turn from a single lane into a road with 2 lanes going in the direction you are going is into the left lane. The reason is to allow someone running the red light or stop sign to swerve right and avoid a collision. Likewise, the legal right turn from a single lane into 2 lanes going the direction you are going would be into the right lane. Commercial Driving License tests have these questions.
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Post by lolofigo »

homie wrote:What? when? I must have been on vacation when this happened. Three broken ribs and you rode home o_O Sorry I missed this whole thread until now man. What a story and I will not look at speed bumps the same way from now on. Glad you had that helmet on and you shouldn't be sad it did it's job saving your noggin. Show a picture of the helmet if you get a chance, how bad can it be? You are a trooper and I wondered where you went off to, now I know the rest of the story.
He only changed throttle body on his pcx. Imagine the damage with all the parts he bought and was going to change.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk