My pcx 2016 dyno stock vs malossi variator

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: My pcx 2016 dyno stock vs malossi variator

Post by vamootsman »

I'm aware of all of that, and I run the NCY Variator and Drive face. Many people on this forum run after market. variators, none of which has gotten anyone a top speed on flat ground of roughly 78+mph on it's own. The bikes simply run out of power in stock form before that can be achieved. Unless Sam's PCX is on steroids it's not physically possibly for that to be his top speed (unless all of the other PCX owners on this site are holding back about their own top speeds so that when they race for pink they have that little advantage)
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by BPT7594 »

Most PCXs are limited not by the rev limiter but by the puny stock valve springs. If you ever hold one you will notice how light and fragile it is. I tried removing the rev limiter with the standalone once, almost kill the springs at 9600 rpm.
If you plan to seriously do some high speed runs, find some better valve springs. Even on stock cam the springs will be highly stressed at top rpm, about 9000+
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

vamootsman wrote:I'm aware of all of that, and I run the NCY Variator and Drive face. Many people on this forum run after market. variators, none of which has gotten anyone a top speed on flat ground of roughly 78+mph on it's own. The bikes simply run out of power in stock form before that can be achieved. Unless Sam's PCX is on steroids it's not physically possibly for that to be his top speed (unless all of the other PCX owners on this site are holding back about their own top speeds so that when they race for pink they have that little advantage)
There's no wind resistance on a dyno, so you'll get higher top speeds, just like you do on the stand.
Braked dynos are supposed to simulate wind resistance, but they need to be setup for each application.
You need a proper braked do for tuning actually, to simulate load on the engine. But for power runs...

My scooter will do an indicated 130kph (81mph) on the stand with stock variator and 152ph+ (95mph) with the Daytona variator.
In real life with wind resistance it has never passed an indicated 120kph (75mph) on the road with any variator setup.
That's the hard wall for me where the stock engine doesn't have the power to go any faster no matter what.

So, yeah. You'll see the gearing change from a variator or sliders on a dyno just spinning the dyno's rollers without artificial resistance.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

chicaboo wrote:
vamootsman wrote:I'm aware of all of that, and I run the NCY Variator and Drive face. Many people on this forum run after market. variators, none of which has gotten anyone a top speed on flat ground of roughly 78+mph on it's own. The bikes simply run out of power in stock form before that can be achieved. Unless Sam's PCX is on steroids it's not physically possibly for that to be his top speed (unless all of the other PCX owners on this site are holding back about their own top speeds so that when they race for pink they have that little advantage)
There's no wind resistance on a dyno, so you'll get higher top speeds, just like you do on the stand.
Braked dynos are supposed to simulate wind resistance, but they need to be setup for each application.
You need a proper braked do for tuning actually, to simulate load on the engine. But for power runs...

My scooter will do an indicated 130kph (81mph) on the stand with stock variator and 152ph+ (95mph) with the Daytona variator.
In real life with wind resistance it has never passed an indicated 120kph (75mph) on the road with any variator setup.
That's the hard wall for me where the stock engine doesn't have the power to go any faster no matter what.

So, yeah. You'll see the gearing change from a variator or sliders on a dyno just spinning the dyno's rollers without artificial resistance.
A quote I just ran across from you.

"Oh, and the scooter is geared to an indicated 120kph or 74.5mph, but it doesn't have the power to get there..."

I can't figure out if you are arguing against my point, for my point, or just not picking up what I'm putting down, but this is what you said about your own bike, which completely affirms my question of how the OP's bike could possibly be that fast. I'll stop following at this point since I'm pretty sure I know the answer.
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

vamootsman wrote: A quote I just ran across from you.

"Oh, and the scooter is geared to an indicated 120kph or 74.5mph, but it doesn't have the power to get there..."

I can't figure out if you are arguing against my point, for my point, or just not picking up what I'm putting down, but this is what you said about your own bike, which completely affirms my question of how the OP's bike could possibly be that fast. I'll stop following at this point since I'm pretty sure I know the answer.
I don't know what your point is, so I can not argue one way or the other. I'm just trying to explain that Sam's dyno results are valid.

I've had about 4 or 5 variator, slider and roller configurations on my scooter, which are all well documented on here in detail.
The 120kph gearing you've quoted is with 11g sliders on stock variator. The scooter would do 115kph on flat open road with that setup.
But with all the different setups I've had, I get the same maximum top speed on the road because the engine power hasn't changed.
In general riding I top out at 115kph and if I tuck down a slight incline I can make 120kph regardless of which configuration I'm using.
On an unbraked dyno I expect to see close to the maximum speeds that I get on the centre stand with the same HP for each variator setup.
The only time road speed is greatly affected is when using very heavy rollers that don't let you build the power to get higher speeds (stock 18g).

I think you're trying to make it look as if I've contridicted myself, which I don't understand as I'm only trying to explain the results above that puzzled you. :? I've tried my best, but I'm not a teacher, oh well... :|

All the best, Gav.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

chicaboo wrote:
vamootsman wrote: A quote I just ran across from you.

I don't know what your point is, so I can not argue one way or the other. I'm just trying to explain that Sam's dyno results are valid.

I've had about 4 or 5 variator, slider and roller configurations on my scooter, which are all well documented on here in detail.
The 120kph gearing you've quoted is with 11g sliders on stock variator. The scooter would do 115kph on flat open road with that setup.
But with all the different setups I've had, I get the same maximum top speed on the road because the engine power hasn't changed.
In general riding I top out at 115kph and if I tuck down a slight incline I can make 120kph regardless of which configuration I'm using.
On an unbraked dyno I expect to see close to the maximum speeds that I get on the centre stand with the same HP for each variator setup.
The only time road speed is greatly affected is when using very heavy rollers that don't let you build the power to get higher speeds (stock 18g).

I think you're trying to make it look as if I've contridicted myself, which I don't understand as I'm only trying to explain the results above that puzzled you. :? I've tried my best, but I'm not a teacher, oh well... :|

All the best, Gav.
It's all good. Sorry for the any confusion on my end.
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S