Clutch Chatter No More ??

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Clutch Chatter No More ??

Post by easyrider »

At least for now.. Thanks to BPT7594 forum member I ordered the recommended clutch pads (22535-KVB-900) per his advice to resolve the clutch chatter .I installed them today and from the very start I noticed a much more satin- like smooth takeoff. The acceleration was silky smooth and the deceleration also improved greatly from what I was using (stock Honda pads). If anyone is interested in the install procedure go the the attached link below. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Very happy with these pads for the moment at least and appreciate the help from BPT7594.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvV-j2ZMUDvrnRSXsFyPPASrLYNM
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Re: Clutch Chatter No More ??

Post by BPT7594 »

Great that you like it so far.
Let me explain a little why I think these KVB clutch pads are OK.
The problem with the stock KWN pads and now the K35 pads on the new LED models is that they are TOO catchy, too big friction coefficient, not that they are slipping. It engages too soon. So basically you twist the throttle and the bike moves very close to instantly, which gives you a torquey feel and also it lowers fuel consumption which is huge to Honda. This comes with a price, as you know when a clutch engagesengages sooner than the rpm needed to have torque to move the thing, it slips violently, hence the shudder feel.
The KVB pads, at least to my knowledge, does not engage as soon as stock. They engage at high rpm, but not too high for you to feel like you're riding a 2 stroke. Hence the tamer and smoother acceleration.
Hope that makes sense and I also hope that your problem is solved permanently like in my case. I saw the video, you should get stronger impact gun, because doing that can be damaging to the 22mm and 19mm nuts. I have a clamp thing to remove/install the 39mm nut that holds the clutch assy to the rear pulley. The fact that you used a torque wrench almost gives me an orgasm. Good job.
Cheers.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Thanks again, your explanation is well thought out and spot on in my opinion. Yes, the stock pads do grab early and cause a significant chatter in my case. These pads are much smoother and give a satin like take off. Don't care about an ounce or two in saving fuel so these should fill the bill nicely. Your assessment and analysis is perfect and appreciate the tip. I did not realize at the time I had my impact on lowest setting, but even still not sure I understand how it could damage the nuts unless there is a fear of rounding, but that did not happen. Once again, thanks for the tip as it so far proves out to be a successful modification.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

So, why does the chatter mostly happen from cold and not when the engine.bike had warmed up? It's like that on my bike, may not behave the same on others. Yes, I can get the chatter once in a while once the bike has been running for some time, but mostly it will do it in the first few minutes of riding.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

NICE! "clutch otter tool" :) where did you get that?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I don't know why there is more chatter on a cold driveline. I also noticed its gets better when its warm. May have to do with the compound and coefficient of friction with this material. I am hoping the new pads will improve this phenomena. So far so good..I also noticed a smoother disengagement on making slow turns and nice smooth acceleration through the turn.
FYI Clutch otter etc.. All tools were home made from stuff laying around.
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

Hotter clutch material became soft and slip more. Simple.
Honda style of making clutch is using the catchiest they can. A normal functioning clutch MUST slip to a certain degree, either on a car, bike or scooter.
Yamaha style is different, yamaha clutch slips easily. That's another kind of problem.
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

Another way to approach this clutch chatter is to use heavier clutch springs. But Honda does not have heavier clutch springs in stock that fit the PCX clutch pads, at least to my knowledge. Also using heavier springs will always be a nuisance so I went with the KVB clutch pads. So far so good.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I have +23% heavier springs in my stock clutch and it still bites and bogs down on launch without slipping much.
But then again I rode the "angry chainsaw" which has a very high stall on the clutch, and I didn't like it much at all...
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

I use yuminashi torque control variator on all my big bore pcx engines. The clutch I don't touch. Never had any problems.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Came to work this morning at just gone midnight after almost 3 days continuous rain (bike kept outside with a cover on and it was wet when the cover went on). Gave it less than a minute warm up and had no clutch issue at all the whole ride. Other times I may get it many times on a ride in/home - it varies :)
fast1075
Color: black

Post by fast1075 »

I just did the KVB clutch pad mod while I had the drivetrain apart for the 10K mile service. My PCX has always had HORRIBLE clutch chatter. The Honda shop couldn't fix it. I had to hold the brakes and slip the clutch a lot to warm it up, and it still chattered SOME, even when warm.

Thursday past I serviced the drive train, lubed the clutch driven bearings, which were still in good condition, replaced the belt even though the original met all specs. I have had DR Pulley 15 gram sliders since the week after I bought it. I put them in because it had slower take off and no better top speed than the Elite 110 I traded in.

Anyway, I have the same experience as Easyrider. Glass smooth take offs. Thursday evening I rode it in town about 25 miles. Rode it to work Friday, about 30 miles. Yesterday (Saturday) I rode it 134 miles. I am about to take off for an extended ride in a few minutes. So far, so good. If it works properly long term, I will be one happy camper. This scooter is a perfect fit for me. I, being a mechanic for as long as there has been dirt like tools. I bought the Honda clutch tool, modified a plumbing tool for holding the variator (the locating pins from the clutch tool screw right in) and a strap wrench.
The Fasterizer
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

If this KVB thing turns out to work well, which over here is absolutely the case - I got a guy going on more than 10k km with it, no chatter, should we ask the admin to sticky it? Since clutch chatter plagues all PCX models I think.
d.a.rous
Year: 2014 JF57(125)
Color: Carbonium Grey

Post by d.a.rous »

Have bought used clutch from Honda SH, the clutch has modified, which became even lighter than those of PCX. Red Malossi Spring used and got good acceleration.
Attachments
clutch6.jpg
clutch6.jpg (155.77 KiB) Viewed 4970 times
YSS G-Euro XL Red shock
Dr Pulley SR2015 13g sliders
Dr.Pulley SP2015-AK sliding pieces
SH Clutch (Facilitated)
Malossi Clutch Spring (Red)

High beam Passing (Flash)
Low beam switch (on/off)
Oxford HG "Touring"

Drive Belt Cover + Swingarm (Matt Black)
Michelin City Grip
fast1075

Post by fast1075 »

I rode my scooter Saturday. it had been sitting for four days. I cranked it, let it idle for 45 seconds or so to let the oil pressure build up, and took off. Normally the clutch would chatter horribly after sitting that long. It took off smooth as glass, no hint of chatter.

At this point, the mod works better than I could ever hope for. Please mods, do a sticky on this!
The Fasterizer
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015

Post by Dragon_uk »

d.a.rous top two pic have wrong labels
you wrote PCX on SH clutch and vice versa
and seriously all that grinding and only 21g less weight?
but if you said it works I'll take it does
d.a.rous
Year: 2014 JF57(125)
Color: Carbonium Grey

Post by d.a.rous »

Dragon_uk. You're right, I've noticed it later, but since nobody was interested, I left it.
The grinding has unfortunately made the clutch only 21 grams lighter, but in conjunction with Red Malossi springs is the difference compared to the originals, such as day and night. I now start much faster at the traffic light and when overtaking, the scooter gets more sparkling. I drive almost 4000 km with this clutch, I am very satisfied.
This is now the right label.
Attachments
clutch6.jpg
clutch6.jpg (149.28 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
YSS G-Euro XL Red shock
Dr Pulley SR2015 13g sliders
Dr.Pulley SP2015-AK sliding pieces
SH Clutch (Facilitated)
Malossi Clutch Spring (Red)

High beam Passing (Flash)
Low beam switch (on/off)
Oxford HG "Touring"

Drive Belt Cover + Swingarm (Matt Black)
Michelin City Grip
fast1075

Post by fast1075 »

Rode mine some more over the weekend. I had purposely parked mine under the carport all week instead of in the garage so it would be exposed to outdoor air.

No Chatter!!! I am thrilled!!!! :D
The Fasterizer
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

2 months ago I started to experience this annoying vibration too. This is disappointing. I will see if I can find the replacement clutch pad here..
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
fast1075

Post by fast1075 »

Update. 3 thousand miles later, I am all smiles. If your clutch chatters, do the KVB mod. It is working very well!!!
The Fasterizer