Aftermarket variator setup on 125

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Tipover
Year: 2011
Color: Candy red

Aftermarket variator setup on 125

Post by Tipover »

I installed my NCY variator, drive face and 13g rollers today! :D
Works good. Very peppy. Holeshots are fun! Gained maybe 2 mph so far. May need some break in time?
Attachments
rsz_20161103_143346.jpg
rsz_20161103_143346.jpg (330.61 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
rsz_20161103_143152.jpg
rsz_20161103_143152.jpg (171 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
rsz_20161103_143142.jpg
rsz_20161103_143142.jpg (208.78 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Aftermarket variator setup on 125

Post by homie »

Great work isn't it?

If you are not satisfied order a cogged belt and I bet that PCX will leave mine in the dust. We could have a race this weekend ya know :D Just tell me when, I suggest we meet on Weber and US-55. Head south W.O.T. to the next off ramp.

Your non-LED PCX125 newly installed NCY kit with a used belt vs
my LED PCX150 used NCY kit and a newly installed cogged belt.

And the people here can place bets on who gets to the off ramp first.

WOOT! LETS RACE!!!!!!
Attachments
cheer.jpg
cheer.jpg (16.39 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Tipover

Post by Tipover »

Hey Homie, What does the cogged belt do? I have seen your videos ( nice work btw!).

We could have a race sometime. That area of Weber road and 55 is kind of a pain to get to for me though. I am in Wheaton.

Thanks
Tom
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (11.01 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You updated everything except the belt, so how many miles were on that Belt? If it had more than 3,000 miles it will start losing speed from wear. You should have changed both the variator set and the belt if you had any miles on that belt. The clogged belt is a new innovation on the market. I think Homie had ordered one and was going to give us a report on it. Maybe I missed the report.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Tipover wrote:Hey Homie, What does the cogged belt do? I have seen your videos ( nice work btw!).
We could have a race sometime. That area of Weber road and 55 is kind of a pain to get to for me though. I am in Wheaton.
Roosevelt to Butterfield on 355 works too. Toll gate never registers my transponder but if your plates are properly listed on I-pass website they credit you from the picture and I haven't been ticketed yet :)

The new belt is slowing me down right now, guess it needs to break in. You have the faster drive train over all with a 2011 but 125cc vs 2015/150 will be interesting. I had great down hill top end with 4k on my old cogged belt but we will be on the flats... so real world PCX speed ma man 8)

The belt probably last longer because more flexible, other than that I can't say about cogged belts performance improvement over standard. I never rode on the original Honda belts, much to my surprise my PCX came with a cogged belt.

125 vs 150 but I have oversized rubber so you have that advantage over me as well :lol: It should be a real horse race Tom. Lets do it soon! Wait you are screwed with that sail on the front unless we have a 50mph tail wind which I probably still beat you.
Tipover

Post by Tipover »

Mel46 wrote:You updated everything except the belt, so how many miles were on that Belt? If it had more than 3,000 miles it will start losing speed from wear. You should have changed both the variator set and the belt if you had any miles on that belt. The clogged belt is a new innovation on the market. I think Homie had ordered one and was going to give us a report on it. Maybe I missed the report.
My bike/belt has just over 1050 miles on it. It probably is stretched out a little bit.
Tipover

Post by Tipover »

homie wrote: Roosevelt to Butterfield on 355 works too. Toll gate never registers my transponder but if your plates are properly listed on I-pass website they credit you from the picture and I haven't been ticketed yet :)

The new belt is slowing me down right now, guess it needs to break in. You have the faster drive train over all with a 2011 but 125cc vs 2015/150 will be interesting. I had great down hill top end with 4k on my old cogged belt but we will be on the flats... so real world PCX speed ma man 8)

The belt probably last longer because more flexible, other than that I can't say about cogged belts performance improvement over standard. I never rode on the original Honda belts, much to my surprise my PCX came with a cogged belt.

125 vs 150 but I have oversized rubber so you have that advantage over me as well :lol: It should be a real horse race Tom. Lets do it soon! Wait you are screwed with that sail on the front unless we have a 50mph tail wind which I probably still beat you.
My acceleration seems pretty good now with the new variator, but my top end seems the same as it was. I am sure you will probably smoke me. :oops:
Last edited by Tipover on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tipover

Post by Tipover »

Double post, sorry.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Tipover wrote: :oops:
No need to think that 2011 won't haul ass for a scooter. The Ruckus crowd call PCX a drug and wish they had 70mph top end. In 2015 Honda slowed them down by removing a tooth somewhere and you have the faster PCX as stock. Your new NCY kit will break in and you should see increasing speeds, your stock tires are perfect for 4mph over me and my tires. Your displacement is lacking but I don't see how that effects top speed (maybe someone corrects me). I thinks it's your windscreen that gives me the checkered flag today :D
Tipover

Post by Tipover »

I just went for a ride around the block. I saw 65 indicated on a level road with a full tuck behind the windscreen! :ugeek: 8) :D
Surprised me.
Attachments
rsz_20161104_112514.jpg
rsz_20161104_112514.jpg (309.92 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Just blew passed you out to North ave. Back to 75th averaging 85mph and people still passing me. But I was on a Buell :) We need to take the Honda's out and let em rip in the slow lane and then get off and away from those nuts doing 95. You don't plan to were that hat out there do you?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Install the 'letgo' app search Honda jacket... if you are big enough to wear that it matches your cap :lol: Looks like a good buy if its leather.
Tipover

Post by Tipover »

homie wrote:Just blew passed you out to North ave. Back to 75th averaging 85mph and people still passing me. But I was on a Buell :) We need to take the Honda's out and let em rip in the slow lane and then get off and away from those nuts doing 95. You don't plan to were that hat out there do you?
No, I wear my very old HJC CL-12. I have a new HJC CL-17 on order at Dupage Honda.

I did see 67 mph indicated on a slight downhill run yesterday. I probably had a tailwind too.

Maybe I will have to look into taking out the snorkel in the air box next. 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Give your new setup time to seat. I believe that it is just now starting to like the new setup. When I changed out ours it didn't have any improvement or a few days, and suddenly it just wanted to run....and it ran quite well then.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Tipover

Post by Tipover »

Mel46 wrote:Give your new setup time to seat. I believe that it is just now starting to like the new setup. When I changed out ours it didn't have any improvement or a few days, and suddenly it just wanted to run....and it ran quite well then.
Hi Mel, yes, I think it did need a few days for my belt to run in to the new components.
Thanks!
Tom
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

How much did the parts cost? I love my bike to bits just an extra little is all i ask.
:geek:
Tipover

Post by Tipover »

87112 wrote:How much did the parts cost? I love my bike to bits just an extra little is all i ask.
I purchased from Corsport. Total was 110 dollars. Plus, I had to buy a 22mm socket from the store. I borrowed a friend's electric impact wrench to do the job.
Do it! You will like it!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

87112 wrote:How much did the parts cost? I love my bike to bits just an extra little is all i ask.
Be sure to use the 13gram rollers with that kit. We have tried others and 13 is the ticket. Impact wrenches are not costly at all, I think mine is from harbor freight. You can use it for removing the nut but not to tighten, you need a torque wrench to do that so factor another 100.00 for a couple cheap wrenches if you can't barrow.

http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... on-pulley/

http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... rive-face/

http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... ights-13g/

Pay no attention to the 125cc or year... it's the same kit, but you should check for updates anyway from this supplier.
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

About cogged belts: they were developed more for commercial hvac air handlers. Why ?
They discovered that one, they run cooler, and two, they save a little energy. So their life is a little longer.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, I don't have a cogged belt (except for the cogs on the inside, of course) and my bike runs quite well, so if your belt is not too old, run with it. You will be fine.

I have the 2013 model, which is 153cc but I run with the tall windshield and it still does well. When you hear others talk about your windshield as a sail, keep in mind that it also works well to divert wind instead of it hitting you directly in the chest, so you do pick up some speed... and comfort when riding.

If you wanted to make a "rocket" out of your little 125cc, you could buy and install a big bore kit, but it is a bit of work. Our founder, Maddiedog, did that with his first PCX and it was a real speed demon. He has a "How-to" on here somewhere.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150