Variator Weights....???? What - "heavy or light"

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

ThailandPCX
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Variator Weights....???? What - "heavy or light"

Post by ThailandPCX »

Can anybody here explain to me the geometry of the Variator Weights... I need to dial in my variator on my VERY high performance PCX... I bolted on everything possible to get all the HP you can get from this little engine... the only thing I do not have is Big Bore Kit... maybe going there next - lol

But, I do not know about what weights to use... what weight "Grams" do.... how to dial in the variator...

I want to understand the geometry of lighter weights to the more heavier weights...

Sure... the weights are like a load apply to the crankshaft of the motorcycle... heavier weights your engine sees more load... and vise-a-versa lighter weights your engine sees less load.... and acceleration (or increase RPM of the rear wheel).... given how fast you can accelerate...

Sure... understand that centrifugal force throws the weight out... which causes the variotor to close which causes the drive belt to ride higher which causes the bike to go faster...

But... what I do not know is what weights do..??? heavier weights do this... and lighter weights do this...???

If your bike does this... your weights are too too heavy...

If your bike does this... your weights are too too light...

If you want this - go lighter weights...

If you want your bike to do this - go little bit heavier weights...

Thanks to all the respond with good technical information...
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Variator Weights....???? What - "heavy or light"

Post by easyrider »

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Hi there,

I will try my best to explain what is happening with lighter weights in the variator.
When you reduce the mass pushing against the inner variator pulley by using lighter rollers/sliders - the centrifugal/centripetal? force is reduced and takes more revolutions to achieve the same amount of force against the variator pulley. This means you have higher engine RPM with lighter variator weights for the same effort, and consequently you can tune your variator to operate closer to your maximum power band, and accelerate faster.

You can liken this to increasing the spring tension in a cam clutch like our scooters have, also.

You generally need heavier variator weights with the more power/displacement you have. I find 13g sliders and 14g rollers OK for me now, but I may need to use at least 14g rollers after I've done my BBK? I have tried 11g sliders, and the acceleration is fantastic, but the scoot used a lot more fuel since it was revving so high all the time, and was a fair bit noisier also. 14g rollers gave me a great balance of fuel economy and acceleration, accelerating between 7000-7500RPM at full throttle. I haven't checked the RPM with 13g sliders yet.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

chicaboo wrote: 14g rollers gave me a great balance of fuel economy and acceleration, accelerating between 7000-7500RPM at full throttle. I haven't checked the RPM with 13g sliders yet.
13 gram rollers, 8990 RPM... hair on fire WOOT! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4vpDdGUsw
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

ThailandPCX wrote:Can anybody here explain to me the geometry of the Variator Weights... I need to dial in my variator on my VERY high performance PCX... I bolted on everything possible to get all the HP you can get from this little engine... the only thing I do not have is Big Bore Kit... maybe going there next - lol

But, I do not know about what weights to use... what weight "Grams" do.... how to dial in the variator.
You should design one we can dial in 8) this simpleton explanation is as far as i think about it. Trial and error was the deciding factor for me with my kit. 15g was stock I think, 12g felt all wrong, 13g was best and keeps getting better! Never tried the Sliders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxcQGmT8EJc
ThailandPCX
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by ThailandPCX »

Hello Easyrider.... Hey Guy... thanks for the website link... yes, I guess this about sums it up....

thanks again...!!! enjoyed the read... very good explanation...