2013 150 Engine Mods?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

2013 150 Engine Mods?

Post by vamootsman »

Anything new out there for US model 150's? Been too busy with work to mess with my PCX, so just riding it alot. I keep seeing oohing and aaahing over the same variator and roller mods etc, but is there anything new in the way of engine upgrades like big bore/cylinder kits etc that work on the American 150's?
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 2013 150 Engine Mods?

Post by chicaboo »

I just ordered a CM 175cc BBK off eBay and plan to run it with a bigger injector on stock ECU initially.
From there I'll be doing the 31mm throttle body and intake manifold, still on stock ECU if possible.
Moving on to the Takegawa sports cam and high compression piston with a piggyback ECU to finish up with.

So yeah, there's lots you can do to your 2013 150cc engine other than a variator.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

Sounds interesting. Any links you have to parts would be appreciated. Thank you!
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

This is the only thing I've purchased, and I'm still trying to find an injector for the right price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232085801802

I can get the cam and hi.comp. piston from another member locally.
But there is always Webike and Yuminashi for parts if you want to pay more for certain things:
http://www.webike.de/HONDA/PCX150/6334/mtop/
http://www.yuminashi.eu/pcx150-kf12-2012-2014/
Don't forget to change your location and currency up the top of each site.

For the 31mm TB and IM I will most likely try to source the actual OEM Honda parts that Yuminashi rebrand.

When it comes time for engine management (the single most expensive part) I might cheap out with Yuminashi?
But there even self tuning options from Dynojet's Power Commander 5, and the Bazzaz Z-Scoot & Z-AFM combos.
I have a local tuner that does Power Cammander and Bazzaz, but dyno tuning might cost as much as self tuning parts?
I am still undecided about the engine management for now. :|
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by BPT7594 »

chicaboo wrote:This is the only thing I've purchased, and I'm still trying to find an injector for the right price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232085801802

I can get the cam and hi.comp. piston from another member locally.
But there is always Webike and Yuminashi for parts if you want to pay more for certain things:
http://www.webike.de/HONDA/PCX150/6334/mtop/
http://www.yuminashi.eu/pcx150-kf12-2012-2014/
Don't forget to change your location and currency up the top of each site.

For the 31mm TB and IM I will most likely try to source the actual OEM Honda parts that Yuminashi rebrand.

When it comes time for engine management (the single most expensive part) I might cheap out with Yuminashi?
But there even self tuning options from Dynojet's Power Commander 5, and the Bazzaz Z-Scoot & Z-AFM combos.
I have a local tuner that does Power Cammander and Bazzaz, but dyno tuning might cost as much as self tuning parts?
I am still undecided about the engine management for now. :|
Remember, pistons don't come as 62mm precisely, they're actually 61.98 or less. I'd use a piston that comes with a specific cylinder, don't interchange parts, might cause damage with incorrect tolerance.
I've used a Takegawa camshaft myself, performance wise I have no complaints and comments. But the noise from the camshaft is much more noticeable than the stock camshaft or the Yuminashi camshaft. It's not because of valve clearance setting but the surface finish quality of the camshaft. My advice when using high performance camshaft is to get yourself some moly paste under 3%, mix them 1:1 with engine oil and when you assemble the camshaft and the roller rockers put some of that mixture on it, and the first 200 miles or so don't rev the engine too much. Doing that will keep the camshaft in shape and prolong its life. This idea is not mine. It's in Honda's manual, I've tried it, works out well so far.

About the injector, throttle body and manifold, Yuminashi got them right where they should be. About sourcing each individual part, I think it would be much much cheaper to buy from Yuminashi. I've tried in the past, the actual parts from Honda cost a lot more than those rebranded and sold by Yuminashi. Plus the manifold in the set is custom made from a stock part. You'll need to be very clever to figure out which original part it is and how to do it.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

BPT7594 wrote:Remember, pistons don't come as 62mm precisely, they're actually 61.98 or less. I'd use a piston that comes with a specific cylinder, don't interchange parts, might cause damage with incorrect tolerance.
I've used a Takegawa camshaft myself, performance wise I have no complaints and comments. But the noise from the camshaft is much more noticeable than the stock camshaft or the Yuminashi camshaft. It's not because of valve clearance setting but the surface finish quality of the camshaft. My advice when using high performance camshaft is to get yourself some moly paste under 3%, mix them 1:1 with engine oil and when you assemble the camshaft and the roller rockers put some of that mixture on it, and the first 200 miles or so don't rev the engine too much. Doing that will keep the camshaft in shape and prolong its life. This idea is not mine. It's in Honda's manual, I've tried it, works out well so far.

About the injector, throttle body and manifold, Yuminashi got them right where they should be. About sourcing each individual part, I think it would be much much cheaper to buy from Yuminashi. I've tried in the past, the actual parts from Honda cost a lot more than those rebranded and sold by Yuminashi. Plus the manifold in the set is custom made from a stock part. You'll need to be very clever to figure out which original part it is and how to do it.
Yep, I want to see the CM and Yuminashi pistons side by side first so that I can run the vernier calipers over them for comparison.

I'm surprised to hear the milder Takegawa cam is noisier than the Yuminashi cam. Is this a mechanical noise due to the ramp rate or such?
The one I can get locally is used (from a certain chainsaw), so it may very well be past it's bed in period. So I'm not sure the paste will help by now?

As it's further down the track, I may very well get the TB and IM from Yuminashi if sourcing them independently proves too difficult.
Hopefully by then Yuminashi are past their teething problems with customer support and can fulfill orders in a timely manner, we'll see.
As for the injector, I will probably use the same one that Maddiedog did, as he posted the part number, and from memory it looks right.

Thanks for your contribution! :D
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

chicaboo wrote:
BPT7594 wrote:Remember, pistons don't come as 62mm precisely, they're actually 61.98 or less. I'd use a piston that comes with a specific cylinder, don't interchange parts, might cause damage with incorrect tolerance.

Yep, I want to see the CM and Yuminashi pistons side by side first so that I can run the vernier calipers over them for comparison.

I'm surprised to hear the milder Takegawa cam is noisier than the Yuminashi cam. Is this a mechanical noise due to the ramp rate or such?
The one I can get locally is used (from a certain chainsaw), so it may very well be past it's bed in period. So I'm not sure the paste will help by now?

As it's further down the track, I may very well get the TB and IM from Yuminashi if sourcing them independently proves too difficult.
Hopefully by then Yuminashi are past their teething problems with customer support and can fulfill orders in a timely manner, we'll see.
As for the injector, I will probably use the same one that Maddiedog did, as he posted the part number, and from memory it looks right.

Give Yuminashi some time. Their sales service just got messed up, they're cleaning it up. Their quality is good.
The Takegawa camshaft is noisy because, and this is my own opinion, its surface finish. Never had any noise with the Yuminashi or stock camshaft.
The moly paste thing will only protect new camshafts. It forms a layer of dry lubricant, in case of an oil starve.

Not related, just want to share pictures of my camshaft, cnc ground by a shop over here. I just make them, I admire the beauty of a precise product.
Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.33.52.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.33.52.png (595.59 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

That's one sexy cam!
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Post by lolofigo »

chicaboo wrote:

I've got yuminashi camshaft and it's noisy on idle. Adjusted valves to stock clerance then to tight yuminashi setting but ticking noise is still there on idle. I think valves are pushed further and just make more noise when they come back .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

chicaboo wrote:That's one sexy cam!
Sometimes I think I got a metal fetish. That camshaft just sits quietly on my table, I spent 50$ just to have one copy for show. I like my cam smooth and curvy :lol: :lol:

Regarding the ticking noise. I figured that using 0.05mm and 0.08mm on a yuminashi camshaft makes it quiet and you must know when to set it in a camshaft travel (not condescending or anything, just want to make myself clear), it's not spinning the radiator and set like a normal cam, you must feel the rocker arm begin to open, something like that.

Not quiet like stock. Nothing is quiet like stock :lol: . But I knew my Yuminashi camshaft was less noisy compared to my friend's Takegawa one. And you're correct that the valves are slammed back a bit harder. That's why I always buy new valves to use with a new engine and ask a shop to do a valve job. Helps keep a nice compression.
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

Just to make you guys curious, here's some more pictures of my baby.
Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.27.49.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.27.49.png (660.64 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
Isn't she sexy, damn those curves can kill any man :lol: :lol: :lol: .
CNC ground from cast iron blanks. Or steel, it's too long ago.
Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.27.18.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.27.18.png (466.15 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

It is a thing of beauty!
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

She's sexy right? But sometimes when she's asleep, I sneak out to meet this lady here. This one is a naughtily dirty one, she likes to bath in 10W30 fully synthetic oil. So I give her just that. :lol:
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.30.14.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.30.14.png (412.05 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.39.43.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.39.43.png (441.97 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.40.25.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.40.25.png (457.02 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
Did I mention that she loved to bring her 2 friends? :P
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.41.54.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.41.54.png (502.04 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.43.11.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.43.11.png (323.55 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
Ok sorry guys I think she needs me now. I'll be back soon.
Adonai1st

Post by Adonai1st »

I'm thinking of getting the 175cc BBK big bore kit for my PCX.....what kind of performance increase should I expect? How much of a faster top end speed will I get with this?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

It's going to be quicker off the mark but unless the gearing is changed the top speed wont change much as the 150 sits on the rev limiter as it is.
There are gear up kits available and modified variators that give a higher to speed.
Are you fitting a bigger throttle body and injector as well?
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

BPT7594 wrote:She's sexy right? But sometimes when she's asleep, I sneak out to meet this lady here. This one is a naughtily dirty one, she likes to bath in 10W30 fully synthetic oil. So I give her just that. :lol:
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.30.14.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.39.43.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.40.25.png
Did I mention that she loved to bring her 2 friends? :P
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.41.54.png
Oooooh' don't stop now!

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 0.43.11.png
Ok sorry guys I think she needs me now. I'll be back soon.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

Adonai1st wrote:I'm thinking of getting the 175cc BBK big bore kit for my PCX.....what kind of performance increase should I expect? How much of a faster top end speed will I get with this?
faster acceleration.
Top speed, change the gearing. Get the 15/45 or something like that.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

chicaboo wrote:I just ordered a CM 175cc BBK off eBay and plan to run it with a bigger injector on stock ECU initially.
From there I'll be doing the 31mm throttle body and intake manifold, still on stock ECU if possible.
Moving on to the Takegawa sports cam and high compression piston with a piggyback ECU to finish up with.

So yeah, there's lots you can do to your 2013 150cc engine other than a variator.

So did you ever get this setup done? If so, how well does it work?
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

vamootsman wrote:
chicaboo wrote:I just ordered a CM 175cc BBK off eBay and plan to run it with a bigger injector on stock ECU initially.

Hey Mr,

Nah, I was pretty busy with work and feeling really run down for a couple months, so I just let it all sit.
Currently I have my 31mm TB at the shop getting the injection port closed and I'm chasing up an exhaust shop to get my wideband bung welded on.
Once I get my TB back and have the exhaust welded, I can put aside a weekend and start on all the intake mods IM, TB, injector, and interceptor.
So, at this stage I will probably have the intake and ECU done within a month from now. Then the BBK and cam in a month or two after that.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

chicaboo wrote:
vamootsman wrote:

Hey Mr,

Nah, I was pretty busy with work and feeling really run down for a couple months, so I just let it all sit.
Currently I have my 31mm TB at the shop getting the injection port closed and I'm chasing up an exhaust shop to get my wideband bung welded on.
Once I get my TB back and have the exhaust welded, I can put aside a weekend and start on all the intake mods IM, TB, injector, and interceptor.
So, at this stage I will probably have the intake and ECU done within a month from now. Then the BBK and cam in a month or two after that.
OK cool. Super interested in the results when you're done.
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S