2013 150 Engine Mods?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: 2013 150 Engine Mods?

Post by Gil »

chicaboo wrote:Hi Gil (check ya bloody PMs!),

I've started a thread with PCXs doing just under 13.5s 1/4 miles.
They probably have every mod you can think of with very high stall clutches and extremely tight contra springs, but the CVT can obviously can take a lot of power with regular belt changes (or breakages...).

The cheapest BBK you can get is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/232085801802 with this exhaust http://nolimitz-maticshop.com/en/honda- ... da-pcx-150 and then leave it at that.
Beyond that you can go crazy, and it becomes too hard to price on what value that has to you. You really need to know what you want at this point, as it's too hard for me to summarise without writing an essay.

Lots of fuel controllers around the $200-250 mark, but some need expert tuning on a dyno which double/triples their cost potentially.
I like the Dobeck EJK with two AFR ranges (plus a wideband sensor/gauge), or the Innovate LC2 bundled with wideband AFR gauge (only one AFR tuning range).
A guy on here went gaga over a DynaJet auto-tune product, but it requires a very expensive LCD hand controller to make adjustments, and still only has one AFR range. So you might as well get a standalone and pay for dyno tuning for the same price...

Hi chicaboo, thank you for answering my questions and sorry for not replying to your PM, but I don't check them and I can't reply. It's something about being a new member or something. The belt strength was one of my concers, but if a 13 second quarter mile PCX excist then it must be holding up. The BBK you posted isn't that expensive, I expected to see higher prices for BBK's. The ECU has been my biggest concern, since we can't get rid of the OEM ECU because of the stator/starter. What standalone ecu's do you know of? I was thinking of using the microsquirt as a piggyback ECU to have it control fuel and spark. I do agree with you that the tuning is the most expensive part. I have no immediate plans for engine mods, but want to know what people are doing. Thanks for sharing your knowledge chicaboo.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 2013 150 Engine Mods?

Post by chicaboo »

Gil wrote:Hi chicaboo, thank you for answering my questions and sorry for not replying to your PM, but I don't check them and I can't reply. It's something about being a new member or something. The belt strength was one of my concers, but if a 13 second quarter mile PCX excist then it must be holding up. The BBK you posted isn't that expensive, I expected to see higher prices for BBK's. The ECU has been my biggest concern, since we can't get rid of the OEM ECU because of the stator/starter. What standalone ecu's do you know of? I was thinking of using the microsquirt as a piggyback ECU to have it control fuel and spark. I do agree with you that the tuning is the most expensive part. I have no immediate plans for engine mods, but want to know what people are doing. Thanks for sharing your knowledge chicaboo.

Gil
No worries, I just wanted you to reply back to the thread like you did. :D And congrats, I think you've become eligible to send PMs now.

That CM 175cc BBK is very cheap, and in addition to that exhaust, you really need an A Type 6 holes injector from with adaptor loom from Yuminashi.
You can get the same injector from a CBR150R much cheaper (genuine 16450-KPP-T01). I think I only paid $40usd shipped from Asia for mine.
You may or may not get by on just the stock ECU with just those things, Oyabun seems to think you will since it's a reliable low compression setup.

Standalone ECUs aren't exactly designed for the PCX. BPT was making looms for the APItech to work on the LED, but nothing for the OWL yet.
I think another Thai company is working on rebranding the APItech standalone and releasing it for the PCX soon. But I know nothing about that... :roll:
There's some other quirky brands from Asia that work on the PCX, but there's not much documentation for a westerner to draw much information from.
Yuminashi's piggyback ECU is well priced I guess. But you need to buy the USB cable to tune via laptop on a dyno for best results, raising the price.

If you want the cheapest piggyback solution, I think the Innovate LC2 with wideband gauge (that Oyabun recommended to me) is the cheapest on balance.
I got a very good deal on a Dobeck EJK, so I am pioneering getting that to work on the 150cc, although it is designed to work on the 125cc out of the box.
All I needed to make it work as far as connectivity goes is the CBR150R A type injector with the Yuminashi A>B Type loom adaptor mentioned above.
So I can tune the dam thing myself and not work blindly, I'm using an AEM wideband gauge with Bosch sensor to target the two AFR ranges I want to run.

I'm pretty close to getting all my stuff sorted out with all the induction mods running with the Dobeck pretty soon. I'm fairly confident it will all run well.
So, you can wait and see how I go. As my build started as a budget build, and then had a few other things added like the domed piston, 31mm TB/IM & cam...
Its still is fairly budget build, as I'm doing everything myself, but that also means it takes time to get done, too. Which I'm sure annoys the fence sitters. :P

Since I started gathering parts late last year, Yuminashi have released a 175cc kit. They have better pistons and thinner gaskets for higher compression.
So, you should get a bit more performance from the Yuminashi kit out of the box. However, you can just buy their 3 layer copper gasket to raise compression.
You might want to save some money aside for EBC sintered brake pads and NCY 110cm universal braided brake line, for better stopping.

Go look at the prices of all the stuff I've mentioned and work out what you want. You can do things incrementally. I've gathered parts that way on my journey.
Gav.