First impressions of NCY variator, drive face &13g rollers

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Black

First impressions of NCY variator, drive face &13g rollers

Post by ScottDR »

In a word, Damn! Bogging down on takeoff has been completely eliminated. Amazingly fast RPM'S and I will have to relearn how to takeoff without wasting fuel!

I left the OEM belt on as I just turned over 3,000 km on the bike. My 6th fill up 4 km before the install and still spot on 2.2LHK or US 107MPG. That includes a ride to a nearby town with my spouse on back (about an 80km ride) and a ride through town another day with her. So my rural highway driving matches my around town to date. We'll see how it goes from here :). Full disclosure I am 6ft tall (183CM) and weigh 190 pounds (86KG). I am fairly long waisted with a 30 inch (76CM) inseam. The OEM tall windshield must really help economy. And the rear OEM trunk certainly doesn't hurt it.

Tomorrow I will drive to Burlington solo and, on return, might see how much the parts improved the before 116km top speed (on the flat with no wind). Hope it's calm as forecasted!

Cheers all! Keep up the great forum!

Scott
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: First impressions of NCY variator, drive face &13g rolle

Post by Jge64 »

Yup, did mine the same way this week except 12g rollers, bike has amazing off the line power but the 12g's are coming out and 13's going in. Bike races a bit too much for me with 12's.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Now you are cooking with gas BABY! it's the cats meow... the bomb! WOOT!

Ok enough of that,
NCY kit makes another happy customer 8) buy this belt for future application, don't know if its better yet but it's the latest cogged belt design for your PCX. I will be going in at 5k to inspect wear on the NCY kit and perhaps try this belt out noting the changes in performance.
Attachments
PCX belt.jpg
PCX belt.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 5064 times
Last edited by homie on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Your scoot sounds like a golden sample. Mine would only do 2.5L/100km and 95kph, stock (measured when filling up).
With just 11g sliders I went up to 2.7~8L/100km and 115kph without tucking, 120kph tucked down a slight hill (max gearing there).
Now with a variator and 14g rollers it is back down to 2.6L/100km and 117kph on flat road not tucked (geared to 139kph).

Since you're running the NCY drive face I don't think you'll upset your stock belt, apart from a new wear angle on the outside.
But a fresh reinforced belt added +3kph top speed on the stand for me. Not something you'll appreciate on the road, however...

Does your scoot get buffeted around by wind over 100kph? Mine does, but I'm wondering if it's mechanical or what?
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

Jge64 wrote:Yup, did mine the same way this week except 12g rollers, bike has amazing off the line power but the 12g's are coming out and 13's going in. Bike races a bit too much for me with 12's.....
I was surprised by that as well. The RPM'S really get up and go.
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

homie wrote:Now you are cooking with gas BABY! it's the cats meow... the bomb! WOOT!

Ok enough of that,
NCY kit makes another happy customer 8) buy this belt for future application, don't know if its better yet but it's the latest cogged belt design for your PCX. I will be going in at 5k to inspect wear on the NCY kit and perhaps try this belt out noting the changes in performance.
LOL! Thanks for the tip! I am very curious about your belt wear. Be sure to post about it! How many miles do you have on it now?
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

chicaboo wrote:Your scoot sounds like a golden sample. Mine would only do 2.5L/100km and 95kph, stock (measured when filling up).
With just 11g sliders I went up to 2.7~8L/100km and 115kph without tucking, 120kph tucked down a slight hill (max gearing there).
Now with a variator and 14g rollers it is back down to 2.6L/100km and 117kph on flat road not tucked (geared to 139kph).

Since you're running the NCY drive face I don't think you'll upset your stock belt, apart from a new wear angle on the outside.
But a fresh reinforced belt added +3kph top speed on the stand for me. Not something you'll appreciate on the road, however...

Does your scoot get buffeted around by wind over 100kph? Mine does, but I'm wondering if it's mechanical or what?
The PCX is a very light bike. So yes, winds really push you around. An interesting experiment at moderate speed is induce a slight wobble in the front. It feels as light as a bicycle! I'm OK with that as it is built for fuel efficient transportation.

Enjoy it for what it is :)
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

Oh and a big thank you to Mel and all the people that helped him set up his PCX's!

Just need to get up the energy to install my add on lights like Mel's. Have all the hardware and aluminum. Really should get that done before my ride tomorrow. I am a huge fan of being more visible.
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150

Post by homie »

ScottDR wrote:
homie wrote:How many miles do you have on it now?
The NCY kit was installed on a brand new 2015 PCX150 a little over 600 miles and the stock belt remained. I now have video documents of NCY performance on the same stretch of highway and then again at 4k. Currently 4950 miles, no issue and actually it performs better with wear.

Here are the progressive video's of a 2015 Honda PCX150 with NCY Teflon pulley, driveface on a stock belt
(12g rollers were tested, removed and replaced with 13g) Keep in mind you will do better than me on stock tires 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRc9g3Dasw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EQ6MHoIYAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4vpDdGUsw

After the NCY kit breaks in I experienced
800 more RPM, several seconds quicker 0-60 & 6 mph faster over all top speed.

Conclusion IMO at 5k so far is outstanding! The upcoming inspection will be the final report for me on NCY performance parts. I expect no surprises, have gotten my moneys worth :D Anyhow, inspection will happen soon.

Fall is my favorite time to ride. The colors, the cool weather and please try not to slip on the leaves people, we are having a good run with the incident list but leaves will get some of you :roll: not me, but some of you I'm afraid o_O
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

Homie, that is a terrific record over time! Much appreciated.

Agreed on the slippery leaves, especially in dewy mornings. Be safe all!
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

Ok, so first full tank of rural highways and fuel efficiency best yet, 2.1LHK (or 112MPG US). AND I actually overfilled and spilled a bit, so it was even better than that. Can't get used to the tiny tank! Unfortunately at Spencer Smith Park was Canada's largest rib fest going on, so I couldn't get near the water OR the Brant Street Pier. Anyway, here is a shot of the PCX with Lake Ontario in the background:
Attachments
20160904edit.jpg
20160904edit.jpg (114.09 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Re: First impressions of NCY variator, drive face &13g rollers

Post by ScooterMan »

I'm BACK!! Picked up another PCX after having 3 in the past. Of course I already knew I would be doing the NCY variator and Drive face with 13g rollers that I championed on here 8 years ago. However, After installing the setup yesterday on my used 2015 with 2900 miles, I was previously topping out at 62mph and now only hitting 67mph. The new ramp sliders on the NCY unit were way too tight and I deciding to run the factory ramp sliders. After the disappointing 67mph top speed (hitting the limiter) I pulled the side cover back off and threw on the OEM ramp plate. Subesquent test ride improved to 69-70mph. Only guess I have now as to why the bike is hitting the limiter is it could benefit from a new drive belt and a new rear tire (which is currently fairly squared off, prob from prev owner riding it underinflated.

I'll update once I get the tire/belt replaced as I hope to see he expected 75-76mph with both those changed out. I have also ordered an 18" straight thru China-bay exhaust. Haha. THe Akrapovic unit is good for 1.5hp and .5lb ft torque. The knock off one should provide at least similar improvement, helping to maintain higher speeds in the face of wind and inclines.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
KaptSlow
Year: 2018
Color: White

Post by KaptSlow »

@ScooterMan,
I've got a new for me 2018 PCX150 that I'll be riding in the Scooter Cannonball next year. What (if any) drivetrain modifications would you recommend? I'm 5' 10" and 175 without gear.
Thanks.
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX

Post by jburner »

Just picked up a new to me 2013 PCX. Replaced the rear bearing face and new tires going on today. Debating on the NCY upgrades and wanting to know if upgrading reduces mpg or not. Nice to have the extra speed if needed, but my plans are not to ride really any faster than 62. Worth the $125 or not?
Jacito
Year: 2015

Post by Jacito »

@ScooterMan,
Do you happen to remember the part numbers of the parts you installed?

Has anyone tried using Dr. Pulley sliders instead of rollers? If so, which ones.
Ride on and leave only tire tracks.
Jim

'15 Honda PCX 150
Pearl White
Motori Tec Inc. Performance Variator w/ 14g rollers
ContiScoot tires - safety recalled
Avon Viper tires
'08 Q'link Pegasus (traded in @ 12,000 miles)
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX

Post by jburner »

Jacito wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:29 am @ScooterMan,
Do you happen to remember the part numbers of the parts you installed?

Has anyone tried using Dr. Pulley sliders instead of rollers? If so, which ones.
Parts for NCY UPGRADE….

1200-1190 Variator
1200-1193 Drive face
1200-1191 13G Roller weights
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Tried the 17 gram Dr Pulley sliders 6 or 7 years ago. My experience was fine for about 7-8 thousand miles and then not so much. The
variator center [part that rides the boss] opened up[widened] ....decided that was enough and went back to rollers ever since. Some have a
good experience with them......I didn't.