Enough about going faster, how about slowing down?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Enough about going faster, how about slowing down?

Post by Valiant »

While I am thus waiting for Reggie from Yuminashi to respond to me, I'm pondering more upgrades, which at this point are probably considered more out of a modding addiction than anything else(not that I'm actually installing the parts myself) :D .

Having seen a few aftermarket brands from SP Takegawa to NCY offering larger brake disk rotors, it got me wondering if they would help at all with braking.

I nearly had a collision with a jaywalker at a stoplight once where the lady didn't seem to give a damn that she was crossing a busy intersection at night against a red light. I slammed on my brakes pretty good, but didn't lock up the tires. I don't believe that trying to be more alert can prepare you for people trying to win their nomination for the Darwin award.

Still, even with more stopping power, as far as stopping the rotation of the tires, would the physics work against that? I'm a pretty heavy guy at 200 lbs, so I figure if my stopping distance got much shorter, either I would lock up the tires well and good, or I'll fly over the handlebars. My practiced quick stops would load up the front suspension pretty good.
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Re: Enough about going faster, how about slowing down?

Post by chainsaw »

you can make quite a difference to the braking on the pcx. I am running a KN Planning 260mm front disc, Kitaco braided lines, Kitaco SBS sintered pads and a good quality DOT4 fluid. The lines and the pads make the biggest change by far, I installed them first to see what they could do and then installed the disc. The disc didnt make anywhere near as much of a change as the other parts but it looks awesome so it will stay.
Attachments
WP_20140227_004.jpg
WP_20140227_004.jpg (122.13 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Where did you get the brake parts?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

chainsaw wrote:you can make quite a difference to the braking on the pcx. I am running a KN Planning 260mm front disc, Kitaco braided lines, Kitaco SBS sintered pads and a good quality DOT4 fluid. The lines and the pads make the biggest change by far, I installed them first to see what they could do and then installed the disc. The disc didnt make anywhere near as much of a change as the other parts but it looks awesome so it will stay.
Was it a night and day difference? Did you ever run into any problems like an oversensitive brake or unintentionally doing a stoppie :o ?
Alibally wrote:Where did you get the brake parts?
Webike

Definitely a thousand dollars worth of crap I'd love to toss onto my PCX.

Don't tell me to buy a bigger bike either, because I'll probably want to customize that as well :D .
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I've used webike a couple of times. The service is great.
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

All parts are from webike. They are an absolute dream to deal with, haven't had any issues with anything i have bought through them.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I suspect that since the pcx has a drum brake in the rear, and that brake handles most of the braking, that the only thing that will help it to brake better would be either bigger brake pads or some kind of special pads. I would love for them to make a kit for the back that would add a disc brake instead. But the kit would probably cost as much as the bike itself.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Mel46 wrote:I suspect that since the pcx has a drum brake in the rear, and that brake handles most of the braking, that the only thing that will help it to brake better would be either bigger brake pads or some kind of special pads. I would love for them to make a kit for the back that would add a disc brake instead. But the kit would probably cost as much as the bike itself.
Technically, the front brake handles most of the braking, as the CBS activates the front brake partially when the rear brake lever is squeezed.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:
Mel46 wrote:I suspect that since the pcx has a drum brake in the rear, and that brake handles most of the braking, that the only thing that will help it to brake better would be either bigger brake pads or some kind of special pads. I would love for them to make a kit for the back that would add a disc brake instead. But the kit would probably cost as much as the bike itself.
Technically, the front brake handles most of the braking, as the CBS activates the front brake partially when the rear brake lever is squeezed.

True and the rear drum has shoes not pads
Ozpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014

Post by Ozpcx »

chainsaw wrote:you can make quite a difference to the braking on the pcx. I am running a KN Planning 260mm front disc, Kitaco braided lines, Kitaco SBS sintered pads and a good quality DOT4 fluid. The lines and the pads make the biggest change by far, I installed them first to see what they could do and then installed the disc. The disc didnt make anywhere near as much of a change as the other parts but it looks awesome so it will stay.
Thread resurrection...

Hi chainsaw - I'm based in Perth so small world. I've just bought a 2014 PCX150 and want to improve the brakes. I'm a long term sports bike and track rider. I find the scoot lacks braking power without big lever pressure and the front lacks initial bite and feel. Did the 260mm disc improve things as it bedded in?

Has anyone else made changes to improve initial bite and feel on the front, or have experience with the 260 or 250mm disc rotors?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Welcome to the forums.
I also have a sportsbike background, and found the oem brakes a bit too weak - and lacking of modulation (read, not enough stopping power until squeezing really hard and then suddenly locking up at the front).
Went for EBC sintered pads, 260mm disk, braided hose for the front, adjustable shorty levers and a good fresh brake fluid every spring.
It is still not what I got used to on the 600rr, but it is night and day compared to stock brakes.
I have done a quick oil and filter change on a friend's PCX, which I had installed a 164cc overbore kit earlier, and took it for a spin to check if everything was good on the bike. It goes very well, but when I tried to stop on the stock brakes I almost crapped my pants. It felt like having at least 25-30% longer braking distances than mine.
I don't regret to work on the brakes, then suspension first before touching power up mods.
Ozpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014

Post by Ozpcx »

Thanks and great reply. This is exactly the feedback I was after. I raced a 600rr for a while and the braking issues you outline on the PCX are exactly my concern. There is no initial bite on the front and no feedback through the lever. I ordered some EBC organic pads last night. I used HH on the track where I needed the harder pad to get any life. I hope the organic are just softer but have similar bite. I'll see how that goes and will look for a bigger disc setup.

Thanks again.