The Honda PCX / Honda Forza Forums

Your predominant source of information for the Honda PCX 125, Honda PCX ESP, Honda PCX 150, and Forza 300. Now featuring a Forza 125 subforum!
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:05 pm 
Regular User
Regular User

Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black
Here's the original post that convinced me to buy this product.
Here's the link to the 2015 Variator Kit.
And here's the link to the belt they recommend.

I installed this kit about two weeks ago, & finally got around to trying out a max speed run yesterday. I can pretty much echo what the owner of the original post said:
1) Acceleration's about the same; maybe a touch quicker.
2) Top speed is definitely higher (details to follow).
3) Fuel efficiency looks to be slightly less, but I won't really know until the next tank.

Regarding the top speed, I was testing during my lunch break, so I had to find some relatively close roads. That means I was riding with traffic. Previously, the scoot would bump up against the rev limiter at 63 mph. Yesterday I was able to get up to 70 mph before I had to slow for traffic, & still hadn't hit the limiter. Yay! It took me quite a while to reach 70, but I have some limitations:
1) It's almost always breezy around here, & yesterday was no exception. I had to wait for a protected stretch of road that was also clear of traffic before I had enough runway.
2) My windscreen is the Honda OEM "Tall" screen, which appears to be about the same height as most aftermarket "short" screens. So I'm not quite as aerodynamic as I could be.
3) I live a 5,000 ft altitude, & all the roads go up. I will never generate the same amount of power as someone living closer to sea level.

Other things that may affect my results:
1) It's only been about 150 miles since I installed the kit. If there's a 'run-in' period for the new parts, I may see some improvement.
2a) Same issue on fuel economy, but even worse since I've run it at WOT for the max speed tests & my normal travel speed is probably closer to 45 mph.
2b) I'll have the Shad SH39 installed in another week or so, & I expect that to also negatively impact my MPG.

I'll post more results after a longer time with the kit! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:07 pm 

Year: 2016
Color: Red
Congrats - OP author here...

Just added a new post about the drive belt snapping on my upgrade you just pulled the trigger on :(

But - just make sure you get in there about every couple thousand miles or so and take a look at the belt and rollers, and I think you will be very happy as I was.

This literally happened yesterday and I fixed this morning and as I said in my other post I think the variator piece looks unscathed, the clutch is fine, and it's just the wearing items that I arguably should have replaced anyway should I have followed the directions on the site that I think need replacing.

So no worries - enjoy your upgrade - but make sure you get in there before too long. As a reference it was running perfectly with no hint of problem until yesterday and I put 3,500 mile on the upgrade, 4,600 on the scooter. So I figure if you should pretty much plan to replace tat belt between 2K - 3K miles to avoid the belt snapping. Considering how long shipping took I would order another belt soon and just have it on hand.

Enjoy!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:16 pm 
Regular User
Regular User

Thanks for the heads-up Huge!

We're using our scoots in drastically different ways, so I'm not too worried at the moment. However, if maintenance requirements are dramatically increased, or reliability is dramatically decreased, due to this variator swap, I'll go back to the stock setup & live with the reduced top speed. :|

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:11 am 
Regular User
Regular User

So, here's my update to my Yuminashi variator upgrade. If you go over this post, you'll read about a belt failure & the aftermarket manufacturer's comments. Based on those comments, I've modified my PCX's variator covers.

Starting with the plastic intake, where the air enters the belt chamber:
Attachment:
File comment: Original, interior
PA016547.JPG
PA016547.JPG [ 139.2 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]

I added an extra intake "window" at the top where it's protected by the body panel, and a slot at the lowest point where any water intrusion could drain before being pulled into the belt chamber:
Attachment:
File comment: Modified, interior
PA236579.JPG
PA236579.JPG [ 140.72 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]

How it looks from the outside:
Attachment:
File comment: Modified, exterior
PA236577.JPG
PA236577.JPG [ 161.9 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]

How much it's covered by the body panel:
Attachment:
File comment: Installed, exterior
PA236594.JPG
PA236594.JPG [ 135.56 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]

Next, I looked at the aluminum housing, and decided to modify only the cover:
Attachment:
File comment: Original
P9246530.JPG
P9246530.JPG [ 123.48 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]

The red wire traces the air path as it exits the belt housing (same sized opening mirrored on the bike's casting):
Attachment:
File comment: Original, interior
P9246536.JPG
P9246536.JPG [ 127.32 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]

For this first pass, I decided to keep the new exit window small enough to be protected:
Attachment:
File comment: Modified, interior
PA236580.JPG
PA236580.JPG [ 134.85 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]

From the outside, you can see how little is exposed to the elements:
Attachment:
File comment: Modified, exterior
PA236591.JPG
PA236591.JPG [ 93.11 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]

Assuming I have no problems over the Winter, I'll examine both the new intake and exit windows for telltale water intrusion residue next Spring/Summer. If I don't see any issues, I'll probably enlarge the exit window at that point. I don't plan on adding any more intake openings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:53 pm 
Regular User
Regular User

I added another airflow window to the drive belt housing. In reality, this is probably the exit window I should've done the first time!
Not only is it larger and better protected from water splash, but it's a lot easier to make!
Since I haven't had any water intrusion problems with the smaller/lower window, I won't cover it over just yet.
Attachment:
P6047876.JPG
P6047876.JPG [ 455.32 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]

Attachment:
P6047877.JPG
P6047877.JPG [ 448.98 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]