Upgraded suspension YSS shocks and parts

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Tonyx
Year: 2013
Color: red

Upgraded suspension YSS shocks and parts

Post by Tonyx »

I want to share my experience upgrading the suspension on my PCX150. I started with the rear shocks based on the collective wisdom on this forum and promptly ordered the YSS XXL shocks from Bikerbitz.com. It took little long to arrive(got hung up at San Francisco of all places) but was easily swapped for factory shocks.

Front forks were next. I received a lot of help from forum member Obayun who was one of early adopters of the fork cartridge emulators also made by YSS. They call this gadget PD Valve. It gets installed between the damping rod and the spring in the front fork. Following were the details in case anyone is interested on this install which required disassembly of the forks from the bike and disassembling the forks themselves.

* PD valve preload - 1 turn(this based on my experience with the Gold Cartridges from RaceTech)
* 15W Silkolene fork oil at 60mm from top
* No additional fork spring preload shim besides the PD valve
* Damper rod compression holes enlarged to 7mm

It took me about 3 hours from start to finish to get this done.

Result: This transformed the bike from having jolting ride to one more like full size motorcycle. The roads in Michigan are battered by freeze/thaw cycle and this suspension set up really help to cope with the expansion and compression peaks. That was my main reason for the modification. Also because of better damping both in compression(PD Valve) and rebound(better fork oil and viscosity) it becomes more controlled ride in all situations, higher confidence.

If anyone is on the fence about upgrading their suspension, I highly recommend what I did to improve theirs.
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Re: Upgraded suspension YSS shocks and parts

Post by lolofigo »

Tonyx wrote:I want to share my experience upgrading the suspension on my PCX150. I started with the rear shocks based on the collective wisdom on this forum and promptly ordered the YSS XXL shocks from Bikerbitz.com. It took little long to arrive(got hung up at San Francisco of all places) but was easily swapped for factory shocks.

Front forks were next. I received a lot of help from forum member Obayun who was one of early adopters of the fork cartridge emulators also made by YSS. They call this gadget PD Valve. It gets installed between the damping rod and the spring in the front fork. Following were the details in case anyone is interested on this install which required disassembly of the forks from the bike and disassembling the forks themselves.

* PD valve preload - 1 turn(this based on my experience with the Gold Cartridges from RaceTech)
* 15W Silkolene fork oil at 60mm from top
* No additional fork spring preload shim besides the PD valve

It took me about 3 hours from start to finish to get this done.

Result: This transformed the bike from having jolting ride to one more like full size motorcycle. The roads in Michigan are battered by freeze/thaw cycle and this suspension set up really help to cope with the expansion and compression peaks. That was my main reason for the modification. Also because of better damping both in compression(PD Valve) and rebound(better fork oil and viscosity) it becomes more controlled ride in all situations, higher confidence.

If anyone is on the fence about upgrading their suspension, I highly recommend what I did to improve theirs.
Hi where did you get that PD valve from?
Cheers

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Great writeup Tony. Thanks for sharing your experience.

@Lolofigo
I bought mine from brooks barn parts in the UK. Wemoto also stocks them, as well as Yss USA seems to have them on stock. I gues you can search around which one has the best conditions for you.
Installation is really a no issue, and if you search the forums Mario has also posted an istall report with pictures.
Tonyx

Post by Tonyx »

Thanks, Oyabun ;)

Lolofigo,
Believe it or not I got mine from the same place, Brooks Barn parts in UK albeit through eBay. It took awhile to get to USA but no issues from me.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by outlander »

How come you did not replace the forks with ncy forks instead?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

@Outlander - the answer is fairly simple. The NYC front fork does not change the way the original suspension works. It might have a little different valving and potentially a bit stiffer spring - but it is essentially the same damping rod suspension as the original. The PD valve makes a real difference for much less than third of the price.
namthip
Year: 2016

Post by namthip »

Thought it was time to upgrade the rear shocks , so went to the local scooter shop and got a pair of YSS Z model ,off center shocks. XL size (75 to 90kgs). Cost about 55 uk pounds. First they look great ,excellent quality. The ride ,well they take the shock out of the bumps so not so jarring ,also dont have any of the po go ing with a passenger on board.Might be my imagination but the front feels better too ? Would recommend these if your looking to upgrade.
By the way iam 85 kgs and i know these may be more expensive in your country.
namthip
Year: 2016

Post by namthip »

Heres a picture of it fitted. Its off set so a bigger tyre can be fitted without fouling the coils.
Attachments
IMG_20160804_083056.jpg
IMG_20160804_083056.jpg (114.71 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
Tonyx

Post by Tonyx »

Good job on the the rear shock install. Now go do the front forks! :)
Toonman
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by Toonman »

What PD valve did you use? As in MM
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Toonman wrote:What PD valve did you use? As in MM
Hi Tooner,
This UK seller has the YSS PCX Valves here, the O.D is 23.8mm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Honda-PCX-1 ... Nj&vxp=mtr
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Tonyx

Post by Tonyx »

Apache beat me to it:) That the OD and how YSS lists their PD Valves.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Tonyx wrote: * PD valve preload - 1 turn(this based on my experience with the Gold Cartridges from RaceTech)
I'm surprised you just used one turn? How much do you weight with full gear on? Anyway, welcome to the PD valves club :)
Tonyx

Post by Tonyx »

I find I prefer low compression damping thus 1-turn on the PD valve. Other applications I've seen even go down to 0-turn. That works to lower compression but doesn't change the rebound damping which is the main advantage of using PD valve.
Btw, my all up weight is around 210lb.