For your consideration

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: For your consideration

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:
It is because the PCX is a simple 125cc two valve economy scooter that it is extremely unlikely that anyone will ever get one to do a decent top speed with decent fuel economy for less money than it would cost to trade it in for a 250.
:lol: :lol: Well extremely unlikely my o_O :o ....it can be done for under a grand,will be faster than any 250 and very most 300's with even better fuel economy than a stockish 125...well my stockish 125 anyway,not to mention of how much fun it is.
8)
conv1900
Year: 2013
Color: candy Red

Post by conv1900 »

gn2 wrote:If you gain something by adjusting the CVT you will lose something else.
Well said & very correct! :D
Teach someone How to ride safely & enjoy the ride!
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I bought the 2015 pcx 150, US version expecting it to go 70 mph for short bursts, and to cruse easily at 60 mph. What I got was a peppy, in town scooter that hits the rev limiter at 63 to 64 mph, which is a bit scary when mixing it up with cars and trucks on our Dallas area freeways driving at typically 63 or 64 or faster. While 60 mph is fine for me, I would like about 10 mph more to keep up with traffic flow. The 2015 pcx 150 is about .3 or .4 more hoursower than the 2013 model, but tops out 4 or 5 mph slower. In my book they built it with incorrect gearing.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Too bad the previous A1 standard in Europe held the original design back to 100 kph so they only started with 125cc's. A 170cc version with gears for a best case 75 mph/ 120 kph would be the perfect machine for everywhere. Still fuel efficient in crowded towns. And fast enough for the truck lane of any super highway.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

the 2015 pcx has no trouble at all hitting the limiter at 63 or so mph. My 1970 model cb350 had a red line of 10,500, which it would not reach on level ground at top speed. That is how I would think it should be. With Max safe load, it should be geared to not quite reach max rpm on level ground. close but not quite there. It is a very stable ride at 63 mph except for the limiter cutting the power. I've read on this Forum, that an NYC variator and drive face will get 74 mph out of a 2015 PCX. I just wish Honda had built it that way as standard. Like I said, my dream was to travel non freeway highways at 55 to 60 mph, whiich it will do, but there is not enough reserve for the rare need.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

OldGuy wrote:the 2015 pcx has no trouble at all hitting the limiter at 63 or so mph. My 1970 model cb350 had a red line of 10,500, which it would not reach on level ground at top speed. That is how I would think it should be. With Max safe load, it should be geared to not quite reach max rpm on level ground. close but not quite there. It is a very stable ride at 63 mph except for the limiter cutting the power. I've read on this Forum, that an NYC variator and drive face will get 74 mph out of a 2015 PCX. I just wish Honda had built it that way as standard. Like I said, my dream was to travel non freeway highways at 55 to 60 mph, whiich it will do, but there is not enough reserve for the rare need.
Maybe on the speedo yes. Actual GPS speedo might be a bit below that at 71-72.

Thing about the 2015 model is that it's a bit tricky to do more than the simpler transmission mods. They changed the throttle body and the wiring for the sensor block, so you'd have to jump through some hoops to install anything other than the Takegawa 170cc BBK.

I'm not sure 70 mph is a realistic expectation on flat roads, as your engine would likely run out of steam at around 68 mph. Depending on body weight and riding style of course.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

The weather cleared, so I took my unmodified 2015 PCX for a ride. Took mostly highway 5 north to Sherman, turned around and stayed on the 55 mph frontage road to US highway 75, while its' posted speed limot was 75 mph. However, after about 20 or so miles, there was road construction on the frontage road and I had to get on the freeway. Guess the road construction or something had caused the speed limit to be lowered to 65 mph, so I could pretty much flow with traffic, by backing off slightly after bumping the limiter at an indicated 63 mph. It wasnt that bad. I even had to slow down a few times.
Anyway, for now I will stay with the factory setup. The off freeway ride was enjoyable, largely because there was light traffic, and I had no trouble flowing with traffic there. Still will avoid freeways with 70 plus speed limits, unless they have frontage roads. Enjoyed the ride, and a couple guys at the truck stop, when I stopped for a snack were impressed with the scooter. I did note that while bumping the limiter, gas milage dropped to 79 mpg! So if I need to drive 65-75 mph, better just do it on a Forza or some other bigger ride. Around town it usually get at least 95 or better mpg indicated, my pcx that is.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Again, carefully analyze your wants and needs before spending money on anything.

There's no shame in trading the PCX for something with more power. If your highways are faster and you want to spread your wings, you'd need a little more juice. Might also be awkward if you get lost and find yourself on a faster highway O_o .

It might also be worth noting that 79 mpg is still up there in terms of fuel economy, as your larger bikes typically do 60-70 mpg at best.

But again, if you're doing heavy freeway riding, get a bigger bike. If your primary use is city riding, the PCX is the one for you. For me, the highways here have a speed limit of 50 mph, with only one at 60 mph.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

OldGuy wrote:the 2015 pcx has no trouble at all hitting the limiter at 63 or so mph. My 1970 model cb350 had a red line of 10,500, which it would not reach on level ground at top speed. That is how I would think it should be. With Max safe load, it should be geared to not quite reach max rpm on level ground. close but not quite there. It is a very stable ride at 63 mph except for the limiter cutting the power. I've read on this Forum, that an NYC variator and drive face will get 74 mph out of a 2015 PCX. I just wish Honda had built it that way as standard. Like I said, my dream was to travel non freeway highways at 55 to 60 mph, whiich it will do, but there is not enough reserve for the rare need.
My 2013 with the Mods I've done, accomplishes what you say you want. Yeah you have to spend a little money and turn a few wrenches, but then its really yours.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

vamootsman wrote:
My 2013 with the Mods I've done, accomplishes what you say you want. Yeah you have to spend a little money and turn a few wrenches, but then its really yours.
I agree, having put in a Malossi CVT system and their exhaust the difference is remarkable.
I struggled with the choice of the Forza power and the nimbleness of the PCX and for me I found a happy medium.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

These past cb350 owners seem to be Honda enthusiasts
make it work for you and enjoy
small displacement = big fun
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

vamootsman wrote:
Didn't you say 65 mph was the most consistent speed you could get on flats? I found that to be accurate short of engine mods. You could get 65 on flats, but you'd have no reserve left.

He could probably get what he wants with a bore kit, but that's not something I would advocate at this point on the new model.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

Valiant wrote:
vamootsman wrote:
OldGuy wrote:the 2015 pcx has no trouble at all hitting the limiter at 63 or so mph. My 1970 model cb350 had a red line of 10,500, which it would not reach on level ground at top speed. That is how I would think it should be. With Max safe load, it should be geared to not quite reach max rpm on level ground. close but not quite there. It is a very stable ride at 63 mph except for the limiter cutting the power. I've read on this Forum, that an NYC variator and drive face will get 74 mph out of a 2015 PCX. I just wish Honda had built it that way as standard. Like I said,my dream was to travel non freeway highways at 55 to 60 mph, whiich it will do, .
Didn't you say 65 mph was the most consistent speed you could get on flats? I found that to be accurate short of engine mods. You could get 65 on flats, but you'd have no reserve left.

He could probably get what he wants with a bore kit, but that's not something I would advocate at this point on the new model.

I was referring to this "Like I said, my dream was to travel non freeway highways at 55 to 60 mph, but there is not enough reserve for the rare need"

With my mods, mine does that and then some.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't know what can be done with this information but i noticed the other day that my Honda lawnmower has a 160cc engine, and it was one of the smaller ones they offered when we bought it. Also, i have a friend that just asked me to help him with his son's gokart. I noticed that it has a 212cc engine. I know that we can't swap engines but it seems to me that we are running little engines as apposed to other standard, gas engine devices. I am thinking that these little engines must have room for improvement. If the BBK can bump them to 196cc it would solve a lot of performance problems, and it would turn a 153cc bike into a 200 cc bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

vamootsman wrote: I was referring to this "Like I said, my dream was to travel non freeway highways at 55 to 60 mph, but there is not enough reserve for the rare need"

With my mods, mine does that and then some.
True enough. I just wanted to put the brakes on when he mentioned going 74 mph, as I can only manage that downhill.
Mel46 wrote:I don't know what can be done with this information but i noticed the other day that my Honda lawnmower has a 160cc engine, and it was one of the smaller ones they offered when we bought it. Also, i have a friend that just asked me to help him with his son's gokart. I noticed that it has a 212cc engine. I know that we can't swap engines but it seems to me that we are running little engines as apposed to other standard, gas engine devices. I am thinking that these little engines must have room for improvement. If the BBK can bump them to 196cc it would solve a lot of performance problems, and it would turn a 153cc bike into a 200 cc bike.
Okay, but as I recall, Yumi's 196cc kit is priced at almost $1200(and probably will be after shipping costs). $3449 + $1200 = $4649.

A new Honda CBR250R is $4199. The CBR300R is $4399. I believe you can get any brand new 250cc cruiser for that price.

Unless there's a specific need for the PCX(cargo, size, riding position), it makes more sense to just buy the bigger bike. For me, I'm not crazy about the hunched riding position, and a cruiser is going to be a PITA to fit in my parking spot.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

Even with both gearing kits on the market (Kitaco and Yuminashi) with an aftermarket (Takegawa) variator, and a big bore kit, I still top out at about 75mph redline. It gets there quick enough, and still has power right up to it. I might mess with my variator some to see if I can get more speed out of it.

I can cruise uphills at 60mph, which is the main benefits of the kit. Highway riding in the city is fine, but I wouldn't ride highway outside the city. Everyone there cruises at 80mph. I'd get run over.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Not the variator, unless you're putting in sliders.

Any further speed gains IMO would come from a KN Planning torque driver, which has longer slots and would allow the belt to drop down on the rear crank between the pulley. If you can reach the redline now on flats, you should be able to make use of it. I'd recommend the steeper angle for smoother acceleration.

Should be this one IIRC:
http://japan.webike.net/products/203528 ... #reviewDiv
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

Not badly priced either. That shouldn't be too hard to mount on the clutch. The spring isn't strong enough that I'd need a press, I'm fairly sure I could swap those by hand.

How much of a gain is typically had with the aftermarket replacement?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Hard to say precisely. I gained about 5 mph on the speedo with it, but I also went from the Yumi Speed Control vario to the Daytona vario w/sliders.
zoomnad
Year: 2018
Color: Blue

Post by zoomnad »

Well now really, if I want speed, I ride my 2016 Honda CB500X.
"you meet the nicest people on a Honda"