Shitty posting / flaming in the Performance forum

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Do you want me to moderate the Performance section, as discussed below?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Yes.
83%
No.
17%

Total votes: 12

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Since the PCX is an economy vehicle, there is understandably a lot of opposition to performance mods. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and therefore, free discussion should be allowed about performance, just as with anything else on this forum.

Because of the opposition to performance, most threads have historically degraded quickly, resulting in frustration of those posting, and real actual results completely hidden. My logic here is (for those of you against mods) -- the people who are modding and discussing it are not costing you anything. If you don't like what they do, don't read this subforum.

I'd like to see more people freely discussing performance mods unhindered by flame wars, to encourage potentially cheap solutions for performance. An example I'd like to cite is the "K-Mod" for the Honda Reflex. Through people's trial and error, they found a free way to adjust the stock variator to deliver more optimal power for most usage scenarios. If performance threads keep on track, and useful information is found, we might together find a cheap or free way to slightly improve the top speed of the PCX -- which is a MAJOR problem for many riders.

The thread inspiring this poll: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=600. As usual, I will NEVER censor you, edit your posts, or delete them. The offensive or off-topic posts will simply be moved off to the (locked) Drama and Bullcrap subforum, where they can go to die.

Please answer with your opinion in the poll above. As before, I wish to stay as hands-off in moderation as possible, but I feel some occasional moderation may be necessary to encourage civil behavior here.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Shitty posting / flaming in the Performance forum

Post by TC3 »

Very well put Dave. If I still had the pcx I would too be looking at what others where trying to increase performance with minimal cost.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

There is some really bogus stuff though. For example, drilling holes in exhausts and the like. It's just plain wrong.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Alibally wrote:There is some really bogus stuff though. For example, drilling holes in exhausts and the like. It's just plain wrong.
Sure there is some odd ideas that have been put out there which do attract negative attitudes from those that do not agree.

I remember someone made a post about "tucking in" behind the screen to get more speed. Posts like that will attract some ridicule and likely to single out the original poster in any other posts they might make. It is just the way it is. However the tomfoolery does go on too long and ruins any genuine discussions going on about some topics.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

tucking in is true IMO, less windn resistance.

But yes less flaming and more about the topic.

not sure if its worth the hassle of having to moderate it, every just be more considerate and less work for Maggiedog
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Cracksta wrote:tucking in is true IMO, less windn resistance.
I'm a big lad and have the streamlining of a brick built outhouse.
If I ride my PCX up to the speed limiter (which kicks in at 60mph indicated just now) then duck down as low as possible, can you guess what happens to the indicated speed?
That's right boys and girls, bugger all happens it stays the same.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

How about a "Mark Forums Read" button please Maddie?
The way I usually use forums is to click on the unread posts button, look at the ones I am interested in then click "mark forums read" so that all the stuff I'm not interested in disappears.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Alibally wrote:There is some really bogus stuff though. For example, drilling holes in exhausts and the like. It's just plain wrong.
Unfortunately if its in writing people will believe it. I am on the Mercedes Benz club forum now and again and some of the stuff posted is complete rubbish. Having worked on Mercs for 28 years I can spot the crap a mile off. Saying that there is a lot of good info out there but you need the bullshit filter on at all times.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

gn2 wrote:How about a "Mark Forums Read" button please Maddie?
The way I usually use forums is to click on the unread posts button, look at the ones I am interested in then click "mark forums read" so that all the stuff I'm not interested in disappears.
Sure, I can look into getting that for you. I won't be able to get it on here today, but I'll try to get something added by the end of this week.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Nice one :D
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Sad but true. Moderation is needed.