PCX water overheat issue ( red light icon )

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

gasolina77
Year: 2
Color: Black

PCX water overheat issue ( red light icon )

Post by gasolina77 »

So far i have install the SPL 164cc kit from yuminashi and the PGM-fi controller everything is fine until i have the camshaft installed and ignition increased ( a little) from the pgm-fi controller, if i run normal mode under 60km i'm fine for 30 minutes or 1hour, if i go over 60 it happens faster. But when i switch to tuning mode and in both situation it happens lot faster for > 60 km it will be around 1 or 2 minutes.....i have tried to clear the air out ,replace the 1,1 Cap but not much help. I'm using a full Yuminashi 164cc kit with the camshaft and the PGM-fi controller, my main question is if i have the 1.6 cap would the problem go away or the high pressure cap is not the main problem here ? i'm using default air filter with a bigger intake airtube and my exhaust is akrapovic titan.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: PCX water overheat issue ( red light icon )

Post by dasshreddar »

try the cap first, maybe run longer radiator hose/s or air scoop?(see link)
check page 11 of takegawa pcx 170
http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/vladm ... e.jpg.html
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Post by lolofigo »

gasolina77 wrote:So far i have install the SPL 164cc kit from yuminashi and the PGM-fi controller everything is fine until i have the camshaft installed and ignition increased ( a little) from the pgm-fi controller, if i run normal mode under 60km i'm fine for 30 minutes or 1hour, if i go over 60 it happens faster. But when i switch to tuning mode and in both situation it happens lot faster for > 60 km it will be around 1 or 2 minutes.....i have tried to clear the air out ,replace the 1,1 Cap but not much help. I'm using a full Yuminashi 164cc kit with the camshaft and the PGM-fi controller, my main question is if i have the 1.6 cap would the problem go away or the high pressure cap is not the main problem here ? i'm using default air filter with a bigger intake airtube and my exhaust is akrapovic titan.
There must be some air still in the system. Open radiator cap and let it idle, when it heats up try to squeeze all rubber hoses you can reach. Top up coolant to the brim before putting cap back on.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Scoot Commute
Year: 2012
Color: White

Post by Scoot Commute »

I am quite impressed by the air scoop idea, that must pull a fair bit more air through for you
gasolina77
Year: 2

Post by gasolina77 »

i've tried the default cap, 1,1 cap still same problem :( may the 1,6 help me ? also some guy tell me it's the spark plug i use the cr6 or 7 not the cr9 so it may be the issue ?
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Where do you live? What ratio of coolant to water are you using? Is the temp. sensor any good? Are you losing coolant?
It is also possible you are advancing the timing too much and leading to engine overheat?
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013

Post by MKE PCX »

gasolina77 wrote:i've tried the default cap, 1,1 cap still same problem :( may the 1,6 help me ? also some guy tell me it's the spark plug i use the cr6 or 7 not the cr9 so it may be the issue ?
I think that may be a big part of your problem. If you are using the 6's, that's 3 steps hotter than the factory plugs. Those plugs are getting hotter than necessary.

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk ... lug-basics
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

^Sorry but the plugs don't heat themselves up nor do they cause more heat to be produced. They differ in construction so the plug either retains or dissipates the heat it is subjected to but it doesn't add to the overall heat of the engine.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Must use colder spark plug..cr10!! I went from 9 to 10 and my engine temp is few degrees Celsius cooler..
Hobbs469
Year: 2011

Post by Hobbs469 »

dasshreddar wrote:try the cap first, maybe run longer radiator hose/s or air scoop?(see link)
check page 11 of takegawa pcx 170
http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/vladm ... e.jpg.html
So not to be a total creeper but in this Photobucket link their is a picture of a pcx radiator split in one of the tubes. I am having this same problem with mine it has done it to a few radiators. Is this common it did it before my big bore so I don't think that is the culprit.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

I had a leak on my previous radiator, don't know why. I replaced it and never had a problem again.