Dr. Pulley & Contra spring testing

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Dr. Pulley & Contra spring testing

Post by you you »

When does the testing start?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

When and if I get my bike repaired before the snow flies.
Spleege

weight of stock sliders for pcx 150? recommendations for mo

Post by Spleege »

I have the manual for pcx 150 and have searched for the weight of stock sliders. I want to get the Dr. Pulley upgrades but cant for the life of me find the weight of stock sliders. anyone know?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I talked about that 1 page back. My USA PCX150 had 18gm rollers. I have 12gm DrPulley sliders now and it pulls anywhere from 7,600 to 8,100 rpm depending on the circumstances. I may add some weight to mine to put them at 12.5 or 13gm.
Spleege

Post by Spleege »

Sendler, they ask for two measurements for Dr Pulley. the book only give 19.5mm. what were the measurements of your stock sliders? stupid that the manual does not give all the dimensions and weight. did you buy the 20x15's?....thanks man....
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The rollers are 20x15.
Spleege

Post by Spleege »

Sendler, thanks again. ordering now.
Spleege

dr. pulley 20x15 16g and mods thoughts

Post by Spleege »

I am a pcx 150 owner and i went with dr pulley 20x15@16g. general thoughts: as your bike accelerates, your sliders move. in order to maintain torque your going to have to maintain the most efficient speed. the transmission is CVT right. continuously VARIABLE transmission. the key word here is variable. you have no control on gear ratios. you only have control over the throttle and therefore rpm,s. gear ratios are constantly changing. this is the major downfall as far as i am concerned with CVT. In retrospect i would not buy another motorcycle with CVT. It severely hampers riders control. I have seen alot of mods out there however understanding the nature of CVT, there isnt much you can do. I did get another 5mph for a top speed of 70mph constant out of the dr.pulley sliders. but I'll never have the flexibility of conventional belt driven systems or good ole chain and sprocket.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It does twist and go. But I was kind of expecting that and don't have any issues with it
Spleege

Post by Spleege »

ok. its been 2 weeks now with the Dr Pulley 20x15 16g sliders. Overall,... liking them. gains include 70 mph downhills and flats. slight boost in moderate uphill climbs. on flat ground I can cruise 67 to 70 mph depending on wind gusts. this is fast enough for me. acceleration is smoother although I actually kind prefer the stock rollers acceleration rate. Install was about 20 minutes. I am happy with this mod and would recommend it to any pcx 150 owner.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Spleege wrote: acceleration is smoother although I actually kind prefer the stock rollers acceleration rate.
As Sendler wrote to keep or better the acceleration or up hill climb without reducing top end 12-13g would have been perfect...
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Still not much traffic on the site I see. Oh well. I guess PCX riders are generally not the forum type. There are 353 accounts on Fuelly and I would have thought that at least those riders would read this site by now. The CBR250R site went right to 1,000 user's and 2,000 more lurkers quickly within the first couple years.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx

I have been riding the PCX to work more lately since my CBR250R is down for aero trunk mods. I was initially concerned that the 12gm Dr.Pulley sliders I was able to get would be much too light and kill the fuel economy but this hasn't been the case. I don't know why but my economy has continued to increase with more miles. I am up to 5,000 miles now and getting over 100mpgUS at 50 mph. Acceleration around town is very snappy with the sliders and top speed is back up. All the way up to a redline limited 69 mph on a good day. If the wind is wrong it may redline or be limited by power at 65. Before I put the sliders in, top speed was redline limited and down due to slight belt wear to 63 mph. I haven't done any acceleration runs as I was doing before. Maybe I could. It would be more compelling if I thought more than ten people in the whole world might be reading the results. I did run a weighted hill climb last year and was disappointed to find that the speed did not improve, even with the higher pulling rpm. But top speed and acceleration AND fuel economy are up and it is an easy install so definitely worth it.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

sendler2112 wrote:Still not much traffic on the site I see. Oh well. I guess PCX riders are generally not the forum type. There are 353 accounts on Fuelly and I would have thought that at least those riders would read this site by now. The CBR250R site went right to 1,000 user's and 2,000 more lurkers quickly within the first couple years.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx

I have been riding the PCX to work more lately since my CBR250R is down for aero trunk mods. I was initially concerned that the 12gm Dr.Pulley sliders I was able to get would be much too light and kill the fuel economy but this hasn't been the case. I don't know why but my economy has continued to increase with more miles. I am up to 5,000 miles now and getting over 100mpgUS at 50 mph. Acceleration around town is very snappy with the sliders and top speed is back up. All the way up to a redline limited 69 mph on a good day. If the wind is wrong it may redline or be limited by power at 65. Before I put the sliders in, top speed was redline limited and down due to slight belt wear to 63 mph. I haven't done any acceleration runs as I was doing before. Maybe I could. It would be more compelling if I thought more than ten people in the whole world might be reading the results. I did run a weighted hill climb last year and was disappointed to find that the speed did not improve, even with the higher pulling rpm. But top speed and acceleration AND fuel economy are up and it is an easy install so definitely worth it.
Thats good result...im glad youre happy. BTW Takegawa just made 305cc bore up kit with camshaft for cbr250r, has extra 10hp out of it,35hp at the wheel. :)
http://www.takegawa.co.jp/graph/bore_up ... _graph.pdf
http://www.takegawa.co.jp/products/deta ... ory_id=412
http://www.takegawa.co.jp/products/deta ... ory_id=412
sm4rty

Post by sm4rty »

I've tested the 20x17 12g dr pulley sliders in co-operation with a malossi multivar vario and white malossi contra spring on my '12 pcx 125. I bought them after reading about some good results on a french pcx forum. However the combination wasn't a succes in my case. I'd rather suffered a quiver when pulling away from standstill and my top speed was back to stock. Midrange was good, good accelation at reasonble lower revs. I treid it for some 1000 km, but no improvement. So I went back to the 10.5g rollers from malossi.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

sm4rty wrote:I've tested the 20x17 12g dr pulley sliders in co-operation with a malossi multivar vario and white malossi contra spring on my '12 pcx 125. I bought them after reading about some good results on a french pcx forum. However the combination wasn't a succes in my case. I'd rather suffered a quiver when pulling away from standstill and my top speed was back to stock. Midrange was good, good accelation at reasonble lower revs. I treid it for some 1000 km, but no improvement. So I went back to the 10.5g rollers from malossi.
You should have tried 10.5g sliders instead of 12g....Thats like going from stock 15g to 17g looking for performance :? You either got to match it or slightly drop it down but as malossi already did their tuning, the best thing would have been to do straight swap with sliders weight for weight. Did you use Malossi belt or stock belt? Sometime some varios have been designed with their belt profiles in mind and if you use stock belt you may not gain or benefit from installing vario alone. I know Malossi makes kevlar belt to go with their vario..
sm4rty

Post by sm4rty »

Hmmz, the 12g dr pulley should resemble a 11g malossi roller in terms of mass. I could go lighter offcourse, but I'm not conviced the quiver would go away. Anyway the malossi works perfectly with it's own rollers (10.5 g) anyway, I just tought I gave i a try. I'm using the stock belt. Maybe I switch to a malossi belt sometime later, but for now I'm happy. But when I do, do have to change the clutch(springs) because these belts are usually a bit wider?
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Hey guys. I need a little help here.
I've switched JCosta variator for my stock with the variator boss a lot shorter just to see... Bad thing to do!! A few km in highway my Malossi belt broke!!
Took my PCX to my home and installed the JCosta again with Athena belt that has some km on it but is new so...
Strange thing was happening. My top speed or the cut rpm was always different even down hill...
Since JCosta makes the engine revs a lot even at low speed and I was getting upset with it I trade my stock exhaust for a stock variator.

Installed the stock vario with Athena belt and Dr. Pulley sliders and my top speed is know stock: 120km/h!! Very very upset with it!!!
It's not suposed Dr. Sliders give more top speed?!

One of the things I see and it's strange since the other times I had Dr. Pulley in my stock vario was the belt in the clutch pulley was higher close to the edge and now it's not! It's almost like I've shortened this variator boss but I did not do that.

Could be this belt the problem? Do you think I'll gain something and test the stock belt since it has only 1000 km of use?

Best regards
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

nribeiro wrote:Hey guys. I need a little help here.
I've switched JCosta variator for my stock with the variator boss a lot shorter just to see... Bad thing to do!! A few km in highway my Malossi belt broke!!
Took my PCX to my home and installed the JCosta again with Athena belt that has some km on it but is new so...
Strange thing was happening. My top speed or the cut rpm was always different even down hill...
Since JCosta makes the engine revs a lot even at low speed and I was getting upset with it I trade my stock exhaust for a stock variator.

Installed the stock vario with Athena belt and Dr. Pulley sliders and my top speed is know stock: 120km/h!! Very very upset with it!!!
It's not suposed Dr. Sliders give more top speed?!

One of the things I see and it's strange since the other times I had Dr. Pulley in my stock vario was the belt in the clutch pulley was higher close to the edge and now it's not! It's almost like I've shortened this variator boss but I did not do that.

Could be this belt the problem? Do you think I'll gain something and test the stock belt since it has only 1000 km of use?

Best regards
Stock belt with 1k miles may lose about 2mph (3km) top speed. What goal are you trying to accomplish? More top speed or more acceleration? Also, what weight Dr Pulley sliders are you using? Try putting the stock rollers in the JCosta variator and see what happens. =)
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

So after 1000km I installed JCosta and Athena belt. My top speed was 130. I've shortened the JCosta variator boss and installed Malossi belt and I was toping out at 132. Some km later I lost 4km/h so my PCX was doing 128.
When my Malossi belt broke because of my last mod I've installed a stock variator with Dr. Pulley sliders and I was confident that it will do more than 120 km/h since my stock speed is that. The strange thing is I already had Dr. Pulley installed and in the clutch the belt was higher than now but it was with the Malossi belt so I suspect of this Athena one...
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

sm4rty you might be rubbing on the back case and thats causing the quiver
DISOBEDIENCE CREW