Yuminashi variator and belt

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Yuminashi variator and belt

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Hey guys just wanted to point something out. I was going to buy a yuminashi variator initially instead of the NCY that i ended up purchasing. I chose not to buy the Yuminashi because of the additional price and availability of their Gates powerlink belt at the time. I emailed back and forth with Yuminashi and was not able to get the Gates part number from them (?).

I reread their website and its updates a few days ago a noticed something in the belt description.
http://yuminashi.squarespace.com/-pcx15 ... Position=0
"Based on these tests we can conclude that if you have a standard PCX150 and certainly if you have the Yuminashi 175cc Light Bore Kit installed on your PCX150, or if you have a Speed Booster Variator V.2013 on your PCX, that this is the V-Belt you need to install..."
This would mean that the belt they offer is stock size, just in a strengthened version. Before I had the impression that this belt was an extended belt specifically for their variator.
"On the PCX150 you need to install the longer V-Belt mentioned for PCX150. We recommended the Gates Powerlink V-Belt with part number 23100-KZY-000. If you use the original Honda V-belt, then change at 5.000Km."

Anyway my point is that we can use this variator with any reinforced belt. Previously there was not a dealer that imported to the US. PCX Racing out of france did not at the time carry the belt version for the PCX esp and RZ Racing did not import to the US. Also, I have contacted Motorsports Nation in Connecticut and they told me they mark up the parts at 20% so as to make their profit. After the shipping quote from them its cheaper AND FASTER to order from PCX Racing in France.

I plan to order and fit this variator some time in early January and will post my results.
HAVE FUN EVERYONE!
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Yuminashi variator and belt

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Oh, I'm in the Midwestern US and the cost with shipping from PCX Racing for the variator is around $120.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Hey guys just wanted to point something out. I was going to buy a yuminashi variator initially instead of the NCY that i ended up purchasing. I chose not to buy the Yuminashi because of the additional price and availability of their Gates powerlink belt at the time. I emailed back and forth with Yuminashi and was not able to get the Gates part number from them (?).

I reread their website and its updates a few days ago a noticed something in the belt description.
http://yuminashi.squarespace.com/-pcx15 ... Position=0
"Based on these tests we can conclude that if you have a standard PCX150 and certainly if you have the Yuminashi 175cc Light Bore Kit installed on your PCX150, or if you have a Speed Booster Variator V.2013 on your PCX, that this is the V-Belt you need to install..."
This would mean that the belt they offer is stock size, just in a strengthened version. Before I had the impression that this belt was an extended belt specifically for their variator.
"On the PCX150 you need to install the longer V-Belt mentioned for PCX150. We recommended the Gates Powerlink V-Belt with part number 23100-KZY-000. If you use the original Honda V-belt, then change at 5.000Km."

Anyway my point is that we can use this variator with any reinforced belt. Previously there was not a dealer that imported to the US. PCX Racing out of france did not at the time carry the belt version for the PCX esp and RZ Racing did not import to the US. Also, I have contacted Motorsports Nation in Connecticut and they told me they mark up the parts at 20% so as to make their profit. After the shipping quote from them its cheaper AND FASTER to order from PCX Racing in France.

I plan to order and fit this variator some time in early January and will post my results.
HAVE FUN EVERYONE!
Cant wait for report... :geek:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, let us know the results. I have a 150 and am considering putting that variator on it, along with the recommended belt.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mel46 wrote:Yes, let us know the results. I have a 150 and am considering putting that variator on it, along with the recommended belt.
There is a malossi vario as well that gives good results,also they make one for forza 300..improves acceleration by almost 2sec from 0-62mph. 2sec is huge improvement.To put in to perspective just imagine doing something to a car that used to do 8 sec 0-62mph which is quite swift and lowering it to 6sec mark...big improvement.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I would be happy if I could get 5 or 10 mph added to the top end. That is all we need. My wife loves her PCX 150 but it tops out at 67, and she would like for it to top out in the 70's so she can keep up with freeway traffic or pass someone on a 2 lane road without feeling like she won't make it past him before she runs out of road.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Hey peeps...just bought a used PCX150 with 1k miles on it. It has the NCY variator kit. Tops out at 73 when it hits the limiter. Need to be on a slight downhill or full tuck to hit 73 on a flat, otherwise sitting straight up and with me weighing 150lbs, it goes 70 on a flat. It had the kit on it when I bought it, so I cannot compare it to stock unfortunately. It does take off very quickly compared to my Elite 110 that's for sure.

I've only driven it 40 miles or so so can't report on the NCY kit's effect on fuel economy. Will know more in a few days. I'm coming from a 2010 Honda Elite 110 which I changed sliders on and put a larger rear tire on so it will go 59-60mph under ideal conditions on a flat.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

A givi 322 makes a world of difference.

Hey everyone, my Yuminashi vario is in the mail.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:A givi 322 makes a world of difference.

Hey everyone, my Yuminashi vario is in the mail.
Cant wait to hear all about it... :)
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Yuminashi variator is here!
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Here it is. I'm going to email yuminashi to find out if there are supposed to be lines on the pulley halves. Also the ramps are rough. It's different so I'm going to address it. Excited nevertheless.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (92.06 KiB) Viewed 8679 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (72.21 KiB) Viewed 8679 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Here it is. I'm going to email yuminashi to find out if there are supposed to be lines on the pulley halves. Also the ramps are rough. It's different so I'm going to address it. Excited nevertheless.

Not sure Id be happy about that. Can you feel the ridge with your nail?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

You can feel the ridge however it's a very smooth rounded ridge.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:You can feel the ridge however it's a very smooth rounded ridge.
After the ridge is the vario face diff angle? Like a two stage face gearing...that would explain its ability to get such a high top end.
Can we get more photos of the other side and also is outer diameter measurement?

Cheers
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

The seam looks to be a casting seam of sorts. It's been polished over. I'm actually wondering if there are multiple profiles on the pulley halves. I'll know when Masato emails me back tonight. I usually get replies from him between 2-5am our time. I'm central standard time zone.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I'll measure it tomorrow Vlad, that's my theory as I asked Masato about it. The drive face has the exact same seam in the corresponding spot. Btw do you know where Yuminashi is based out of?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:I'll measure it tomorrow Vlad, that's my theory as I asked Masato about it. The drive face has the exact same seam in the corresponding spot. Btw do you know where Yuminashi is based out of?
They are in Thailand...Few hours out of Bangkok
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Here is part of the reply I received from Yuminashi,

"You are correct about the visible line on both the pulley halves, the pulley ramp has multiple angles on both the faces which we have made based on the RPM's/speed your engine is making.
You could compare it with normal gears from a car or motorcycle. If you start to use the variator then you will feel that at a certain RPM point your engine will get something like a second breath, and that's all because of the different angles in the variator.
The outer angle is like you show us on your picture the most visible one, this is the highest "gear".

The reason for the rough ramps is indeed to slightly slow the rollers down at higher RPM so that your engine have a bit more time to build up RPM's and top speed.
The roller quality must be very very high to do so, and that's partly the reason why we have used such a high grade of rollers.
Our rollers are very very hard and have nearly double the lifetime compared to the genuine Honda rollers."
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Here is part of the reply I received from Yuminashi,

"You are correct about the visible line on both the pulley halves, the pulley ramp has multiple angles on both the faces which we have made based on the RPM's/speed your engine is making.
You could compare it with normal gears from a car or motorcycle. If you start to use the variator then you will feel that at a certain RPM point your engine will get something like a second breath, and that's all because of the different angles in the variator.
The outer angle is like you show us on your picture the most visible one, this is the highest "gear".

The reason for the rough ramps is indeed to slightly slow the rollers down at higher RPM so that your engine have a bit more time to build up RPM's and top speed.
The roller quality must be very very high to do so, and that's partly the reason why we have used such a high grade of rollers.
Our rollers are very very hard and have nearly double the lifetime compared to the genuine Honda rollers."
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Here is part of the reply I received from Yuminashi,

Well...that could be 'the shit' we were all looking for, best of the best of varios..can't wait for test results.