Maximizing your Dr. Pulley sliders

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Maximizing your Dr. Pulley sliders

Post by nribeiro »

True but for now I have to do things in this way...
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

A small inductive pick up tach is $51 and installs just by wrapping the pick up wire around the spark plug wire with no other connections since it is battery powered. It is the only way to really know what your mods are doing.
http://www.amazon.com/Koso-North-Americ ... 73&sr=1-11
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

So I installed 17gr stock rolers but kept the Polini contra spring and in general on flats it's almost or the same than Dr. Pulley Sliders or JCosta variator or whatever I try. Uphill I lost a bit compared to 12gr sliders.
Uphill better than totally stock cause I have also the Givi windscreen, exhaust and air filter.

Loose top speed obviously... With everything I've tested I am realising that I spent a lot of money and PCX is good almost stock!!!

Even 12gr sliders on take off give some lag that doesn't happen with stock rolers or heavier sliders but after that and to 80 kph just a small twist of the throttle it's enough to accelerate fast.

In an opinion of a regular "scootard" the best upgrades are: 14.5gr or 15gr Dr. Pulley Sliders, Givi windscreen, Polini contra spring or similar.
Exhaust and filter helps a bit but not so important unless for safety while lane spliting due to extra loud noise!

Am I right?!
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Folowed the advice and ordered the cheapest one from ebay. Let's see how will it work...
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

nribeiro wrote:So I installed 17gr stock rolers but kept the Polini contra spring and in general on flats it's almost or the same than Dr. Pulley Sliders or JCosta variator or whatever I try. Uphill I lost a bit compared to 12gr sliders.
Uphill better than totally stock cause I have also the Givi windscreen, exhaust and air filter.

Loose top speed obviously... With everything I've tested I am realising that I spent a lot of money and PCX is good almost stock!!!

Even 12gr sliders on take off give some lag that doesn't happen with stock rolers or heavier sliders but after that and to 80 kph just a small twist of the throttle it's enough to accelerate fast.

In an opinion of a regular "scootard" the best upgrades are: 14.5gr or 15gr Dr. Pulley Sliders, Givi windscreen, Polini contra spring or similar.
Exhaust and filter helps a bit but not so important unless for safety while lane spliting due to extra loud noise!

Am I right?!
Yup, totally agree with that (except the loud intake/pipe, I have sensitive ears and neighbour here). I told many people that 15gr is the optimum for everyday commuting. A compromise though, but better overall with less. I also don't recommend any other extreme upgrade if it's to retain the enjoyment of hassle free riding.
To be honest I also upgraded almost all the lights using LED. Everything works fine except the main light, still haven't found the right emitters/optics combo to get near perfect beam. I'll post the result in different thread later.
But, I'm still curious about my unused new turbo in the box. Maybe I'll state differently afterwards hohoho :roll:
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Loud pipe it's nice since it give more safer riding. People in car's ear you. I see that here.
I will install 14,50gr because it's close to minus 15% Dr.Pulley advice. I liked 15 but... 12 in my opinion it's too much and I have lag on take off.
More than this I think it's waste of money unless a big bore kit to have a sleeper...
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Installed a cheap tacho and at least I can see now where RPM's are at different speeds.
With 12gr Dr. Pulley at 90 kph I'm at 8040 rpm in the uphill close to my work place. Never got 100 kph like before with 15gr... So I will order 14,50gr. I think it's better overall.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The weight of the rollers can't affect top speed.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

I know. That is not my problem. My problem is accelerarion droped after 80kph. In the same uphill I usually got 100 but now don't...
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Sounds like a flawed test. 100kph is nearly top speed. Any reasonable weight of roller will be locked out all the way by 80kph. So from there on up, the weight of the roller doesn't matter. Was the previous 100kph result done using round weights and the 80kph was with DrPulley sliders? Maybe the sliders were installed the wrong way around.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

It:s correctly installed and 100 was with Pulley sliders but 15gr.
My top speed is around 130kph. What I am thinking is since I installed lighter ones the rpm at 90kph are after my power band.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

nribeiro wrote:It:s correctly installed and 100 was with Pulley sliders but 15gr.
My top speed is around 130kph. What I am thinking is since I installed lighter ones the rpm at 90kph are after my power band.
RPM vs speed from 85kph on up will be exactly the same with any different weight. The weights are already all the way out in any case.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

16,500 miles on my 2013PCX. The ridge on the front pullies was too pronounced to let the belt travel any further even after "maximizing" the travel by filing the center of the vario. Top speed was omly increased 1 mph if at all with the mod to 67. Which is still pretty good for the original belt and vario and 14,000 miles on the sliders. The belt was showing some slight cracks and measured 21.1mm so I wanted to change it. The rear pullies are steel and show vary little wear. The clutch shoes are still excellent also although I wouldn't mind having slightly higher rpm springs someday for a little better coasting up to lights. The DrPully sliders shwoed some discoloration but I couldn't feel any real wear so I reused them. Amazing durability.
I was having trouble sourcing an NCY vario and I prefer to stay with the sliders rather than round rollers so I ordered new stock front pullies and a stock belt. I also changed the steel ramp and plastic slides as well. The new belt measures exactly 21.5mm. You can see from the photo that if the new pullies are made to touch in the middle by using sliders instead of rollers, the new belt will be just off the top. So filing on the brand new parts might be too much at this point. I will have to put some miles on it to see how quickly the new belt wears in to leave any untouched travel at the top. The first run on the stand showed 74 mph at the rev limiter and my USA version speedo was previously varified to be right on with my gps but I have since changed my rear tire. I didn't think to check the old parts on the stand but I'm hoping for a higher top speed than 67 mph on the road tonight. The NCY vario and drive face is reported to do 80 mph on the stand so maybe I should have gone that route since now I have found a source and the cost is the same. decisions, decisions. But this is where I'm at for now.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

A strong headwind on the way home held me down to 66 mph. And I have a large top case on the bike also. A good draft got me to 71 mph at one point and still no rev limiter so I am going faster now. I can't see my tach at night as it is not lit. Even at 66 it is nice to be nowhere near the limiter.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

" So filing on the brand new parts might be too much at this point. "

So you didn't file the face, and are reusing the same sliders, but it's faster than before?

I'm unclear why you didn't have this same performance the first time around when you added the sliders.

Dean
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

DeaninMilwaukee wrote: I'm unclear why you didn't have this same performance the first time around when you added the sliders.

Dean
The first time I installed the sliders my parts were already worn and showing a loss of top speed from 66 mph to 63 mph. When I added the sliders I got back up to 67 mph at redline. Where it stayed, interestingly, all the way to 16,500 miles where So the belt was already narrower and there was probably also a slight ridge on the pullies.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I went riding again today. It was windy again but I did do a two way run and I got 67 mph at 9050 rpm one way and only 63 the other. So my gearing is much longer with the new parts but there are some other inefficiencies at work that seem to be robbing a few % of horsepower. Similar to when I tried the stiffer contra spring and lost top speed and fuel economy. My pulling rpm is also lower now at 7,700 which is a big surprise. The same 12gm sliders were pulling at 8,000 in the old vario. Interesting.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

That is interesting and a good reason to get the sliders in at low mileage instead of waiting.

BTW, pulling 9050 rpm at 67mph indicates that at at 9600 redline you could perhaps hit a genuine 71mph before the rev limiter kicks in.
Most of the time the bike won't have the power to hit 71 mph, so you could do interstate travel with just a simple throttle lock cruise control holding the throttle wide open with no worries, probably averaging around 67-68mph. This is very good news.

This is the throttle lock I've used on many motorcycles in the past with good results, and I've just purchased for my pcx. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEP-Motorcycle- ... 3d&vxp=mtr
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

BTW, your new belt may be slowing the bike a bit till it wears in, hopefully without too many more miles needed.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

69 mph this morning at 9,400 rpm.