Gears for higher top speed

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Gears for higher top speed

Post by Valiant »

wingz wrote:
Valiant wrote:
wingz wrote:I ordered my Yuminashi gear set last night. :lol:
Installing it will be an interesting experience.
Where from? I haven't been able to contact Reggie directly, and his dealers can't seem to get in touch with him either.

I'm also curious if you managed to get ahold of the Yuminashi sensor I hear is needed in order to get a proper speedo reading.
http://rzracing.nl/honda-pcx-tuning/hon ... ederlands#

I believe it is old stock from before it came with the speed sensor. Seems Yuminashi don't have stock.
I expect the PCX150 sensor would work fine - might have to tweak something but I'll post my findings.
But first, the long wait.
So, how'd this work out for you? 8)
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

First, the long wait. Shouldn't take more than 6 months, I hope.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

What are you waiting for again?

I thought Rzracing had the gear set in stock?

Or are you waiting for a big bore kit in order to make use of the longer gearing?
wingz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wingz »

Valiant wrote:What are you waiting for again?
Shipping.

Well, I got the surprise of my life today when the stuff arrived at my house. Nearly ate my helmet.
Germany to final address in SA in only 6 days is nothing short of a miracle. The other 11 days it was travelling around Europe.

Anyhow... Not knowing what I was doing, and including time to find tools as required, I managed to extract the final gear in about 2 hours.
Tomorrow, I hope to remove the gear from the shaft at work and replace with the new one.

The experience so far has been soooooo much more pleasant than working on a car.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wingz »

All done. I would say the whole job would take less than 2 hours if you have all the tools and know what to do.
I used a 50 ton press to change the gear. The pressure gauge hardly budged so I would say it took less than 5 tons.

The Yuminashi gear is slightly smaller than the stock one on the 2013 PCX150 thus the speedometer did not work after the mod.
I had to file approx 1 mm off the seating face of the stock speed sensor and then it worked.

Top speed downhill is now about 140km/h (speedo) which is about 125km/h (GPS). Speedo over-reads about 2% more than before, now that there are 45 teeth instead of 44.
Cruising speed WOT on the flat is about 124km/h (speedo) 110km/h (GPS) at 8500rpm, which is pretty much what I wanted.

I will need to fiddle with the CVT a bit to get 8500rpm when accelerating at speeds below 110km/h.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Did your uphill speed go down? Any changes in fuel economy?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

That is a lot of work for a 2% change when you can get more than enough gearing with an aftermarket variator.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

2%?

How'd you arrive to that number?

125 km/h is about 77 mph, that's a clear 10 mph over the rev limited speed of 67 mph. IIRC, his only other mod is sliders. All things considered, that's a pretty good improvement.

Granted, the PCX doesn't have enough power to make use of that gearing, so it would make more sense on something modded with a big bore kit.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

wingz wrote:All done. Speedo over-reads about 2% more than before, now that there are 45 teeth instead of 44.
I just looked at what he said. Did he change one gear or two?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

110km/h is 68 mph. The top speed of a 150, unaltered, is 67mph. With a new belt our biks can do 67 mph on the freeway. Hopefully a change of variators and drive faces will boost it to the low to mid 70s.
By the way, I just clicked on the rzracing link you attached and it comes back with a server error.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
wingz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wingz »

[youtube][/youtube]For those who missed it, the increase in gearing is 12.8% for a 2013 PCX150. :D
To my mind this is about optimal for the standard engine.

Yes the set replaces 2 gears as shown here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... =40#p36750
The speed sensor works off the larger of the two which has 45 teeth vs 44 of the original (hence the additional 2% error on the speedometer).

Uphill performance is not all that relevant here because CVT tuning takes care of that.
I have not re-optimised the CVT yet. It currently pulls at around 7500rpm. I might even leave it as is.
At higher speeds, rpm is 12.8% less than before.

There is more power than before at higher speeds when the variator is maxed out.
This is because now runs closer to peak power rpm.
(Peak power is at 8500rpm and it drops off as the rpm increase towards red line.)

Fuel consumption has to drop with cruising rpm 12.8% lower.
Of course, the odometer will now over-read by 2% which translates to about 0.06L/100km.
I'll let you know how the consumption goes after a few fuel-ups.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

So 45 to 44 difference on the one gear. What are the old versus new tooth count on the other gear?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Should be 13T on stock and 15T on the new.

Well, should be a fun experiment for me, as I placed an order for the final gear set in addition to the Yuminashi variator and the 53T countergear OEM on the 2013 model. There's just the million dollar question of whether or not Yuminashi is currently fulfilling their orders.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

That might be more like 18% which would make my top speed on the stand well over 90 mph and road speed at 8,000 rpm around 75 mph.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Might be seemingly useless for me given that going 80 mph or more will get you a hefty fine no matter what part of the island you're on :D .

On the other hand, it might be nice to get better cruising ability in the 60-65mph range while getting back some fuel economy(yeah, makes perfect sense for me to shell out $1,000 to save $0.50 per tank :D ).
wingz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wingz »

There may be another option if one is looking for something more extreme... 30% increase in gearing.
http://www.toptaller.com/TT_Shop/produc ... 150cc.html
But that would call for an engine upgrade imo.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

wingz wrote: The Yuminashi gear is slightly smaller than the stock one on the 2013 PCX150 thus the speedometer did not work after the mod.
I had to file approx 1 mm off the seating face of the stock speed sensor and then it worked.
Hmm, so is "seating face" on piece #2(left crankcase) of this diagram where piece 11(hopefully I pointed out the speed sensor) goes into piece 2?:
jpanem
Color: black

Post by jpanem »

Has anyone tried the speed healer to trick the speed sensor so that the PCX can get more speed?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The limit that you feel is not based on speed. It's the rev limiter at 9,600 rpm. If you increase the overall gearing with a bigger variator or sliders you can get more speed. Especially downhill or with a tailwind where you do no run out of power first.