PCX clutch bearing issue

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Tacitblue

PCX clutch bearing issue

Post by Tacitblue »

I've been looking for a scooter for a couple of months now. I've looked at the Piaggio Fly 150, SYM CityCom (was interested in the HD200, but the dealer did not have any on the floor), and of course the PCX 150. The PCX 150 was the most comfortable to sit on (except for the hump, dealer only had 2013's on display), with the best riding position, and best fit and finish. The PCX would be the scooter for me, BUT I keep reading about this clutch bearing failure on multiple year models. On the Thaivisa forum, it's a dominant topic. So my question is, how big an issue is this? Thanks for any info on this.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Re: PCX clutch bearing issue

Post by relic »

sounds like honda missed on this one
no recalls- so the other forums mention something about after market stuff
cheap bikes but I think Honda should buck up if a common problem
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

The clutch bearing issue is common to less than 30 % I'd hazard to guess. Its a cheap bearing to replace ($22 plus $3 for the seal) and not a real hard job. It is by no means a reason to sway your decision.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

%30! Honda should do the right thing and recall all in for dealers to fix (or at least advise owners and fix this for free during next service) - rather than stay quite and let people find out and pay themselves.
With the internet, anyone doing a bit of research and finding out about such issues may not buy Honda thinking Honda customer service is poor.
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

Mgalutia88 wrote:The clutch bearing issue is common to less than 30 % I'd hazard to guess. Its a cheap bearing to replace ($22 plus $3 for the seal) and not a real hard job. It is by no means a reason to sway your decision.
What tool would you use to take the bearings out of the enclosure?
I have limited tools so I just ordered the full kit with bearings installed.
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That is one of the reasons mine cost so much to fix. They had multiple bearings that were bad in the assembly, and the replacement assembly was on back order due to high demand. Getting the bearings out was something most mechanics don't have the tools to do, so they ususlly send the assembly to a machine shop to press it (or them in this case) out and then have them press the new ones in. That is an extra cost. From what i have read, and from what our mechanic has told us, these particular bearings didn't have enough grease in them to start with, before they were pressed in. The replacement unit may only be around $35, but having to press in and out those bearings costs more than the cost of the replacement assembly. Still, why are we, the customers, having to pick up the cost of replacing these bearings that they didn't pack correctly in the first place? Ours went out at less than 10,000 miles. The problem showed itself at hslf of that amount of mileage. That isn't much mileage.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

Mel46 wrote:That is one of the reasons mine cost so much to fix. They had multiple bearings that were bad in the assembly, and the replacement assembly was on back order due to high demand. Getting the bearings out was something most mechanics don't have the tools to do, so they ususlly send the assembly to a machine shop to press it (or them in this case) out and then have them press the new ones in. That is an extra cost. From what i have read, and from what our mechanic has told us, these particular bearings didn't have enough grease in them to start with, before they were pressed in. The replacement unit may only be around $35, but having to press in and out those bearings costs more than the cost of the replacement assembly. Still, why are we, the customers, having to pick up the cost of replacing these bearings that they didn't pack correctly in the first place? Ours went out at less than 10,000 miles. The problem showed itself at hslf of that amount of mileage. That isn't much mileage.
My bearing started making noise from around 9k miles it got louder and by the time my part arrived i had done 14k miles, the scoot still run ok though. i ordered the complete original oem part from USA with bearings pre-installed for around £40 in total. installing was as easy as installing a new clutch(impact wrench recommended) this came with a small packet full of grease for self application.
Honda forza 125 2019
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust

Daytona reinforced belt
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

buddy1976 wrote:
Mel46 wrote:That is one of the reasons mine cost so much to fix. They had multiple bearings that were bad in the assembly, and the replacement assembly was on back order due to high demand. Getting the bearings out was something most mechanics don't have the tools to do, so they ususlly send the assembly to a machine shop to press it (or them in this case) out and then have them press the new ones in. That is an extra cost. From what i have read, and from what our mechanic has told us, these particular bearings didn't have enough grease in them to start with, before they were pressed in. The replacement unit may only be around $35, but having to press in and out those bearings costs more than the cost of the replacement assembly. Still, why are we, the customers, having to pick up the cost of replacing these bearings that they didn't pack correctly in the first place? Ours went out at less than 10,000 miles. The problem showed itself at hslf of that amount of mileage. That isn't much mileage.
My bearing started making noise from around 9k miles it got louder and by the time my part arrived i had done 14k miles, the scoot still run ok though. i ordered the complete original oem part from USA with bearings pre-installed for around £40 in total. installing was as easy as installing a new clutch(impact wrench recommended) this came with a small packet full of grease for self application.
Don't apply it to yourself. The bearings need it more than you :D
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

you you wrote:
buddy1976 wrote:
Don't apply it to yourself. The bearings need it more than you :D

was it supposed to go on bearings? lol
Honda forza 125 2019
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust

Daytona reinforced belt
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Well, mine are failing now as well..but after 21000km..Partzilla sells the whole assembly with bearings already installed for $24USD so that's my next service item. How did I notice? My transmission was getting louder and louder to the point where it made me think something is not right plus a little piece of the bearing where the bell mates to sheared off and gouged my new malossi clutch pads. Nothing serious though but annoying..
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I wonder, is anyone able to put on youtube a recording of the noise made with a failing bearing assembly - just be useful to help those who may have the same issue.
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

iceman wrote:I wonder, is anyone able to put on youtube a recording of the noise made with a failing bearing assembly - just be useful to help those who may have the same issue.
I did have a recording on my phone but the noise could not be heard on playback, although to the ear it was quite loud in the end.
Honda forza 125 2019
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust

Daytona reinforced belt
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
buchaneer.nl
Color: Black

Post by buchaneer.nl »

What is the part # and name to search for the complete assembly with the bearings installed?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

Interesting topic, is this something you can work around with say, an aftermarket clutch?

Or am I confusing where the clutch bearings are actually located?
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

buchaneer.nl wrote:What is the part # and name to search for the complete assembly with the bearings installed?
I believe he means this, it's not a complete clutch but the offending parts are inside this..
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/h ... N-640.html
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/201 ... #sch794095

Part #8 in the driven face diagram. Bearings #18 and #19. Just buy the whole assembly. Much easier to install than those bearings.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ralf_CT
Year: 2012 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by Ralf_CT »

An old thread, but still current.

My clutch bearing has been an issue since buying my 2012 PCX150 from the first owner in 2016 (bought in 2014) with only 134kms on the clock (his wife had plans to ride to work on the freeway, but soon changed her mind). The noise is now so bad (while pushing and idling) that I'm starting to get worried. I bought the bearings (ex Japan) and seals last year, also arranged the correct grease from Shell, but am reluctant to tackle the job without the correct tools. I thought of buying the tools, but none are available locally, they would have to come from Aliexpress, which could cost more than taking the scooter to the dealer. However, as a qualified ex-Jaguar mechanic I dislike outsourcing work I could potentially do myself.
Pearl White, 2012 Honda PCX150, 8,550kms... and increasing slowly.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Ralf_CT wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:31 am An old thread, but still current.

My clutch bearing has been an issue since buying my 2012 PCX150 from the first owner in 2016 (bought in 2014) with only 134kms on the clock (his wife had plans to ride to work on the freeway, but soon changed her mind). The noise is now so bad (while pushing and idling) that I'm starting to get worried. I bought the bearings (ex Japan) and seals last year, also arranged the correct grease from Shell, but am reluctant to tackle the job without the correct tools. I thought of buying the tools, but none are available locally, they would have to come from Aliexpress, which could cost more than taking the scooter to the dealer. However, as a qualified ex-Jaguar mechanic I dislike outsourcing work I could potentially do myself.
Is this a statement or a question? lol

You should have just bought the rear pulley assembly. Its less than $50. Comes with all the bearings and seals.

2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator