PCX top speed

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

jayj11pcx125

PCX top speed

Post by jayj11pcx125 »

I am looking to bump up my pcx125 top speed capability by a few mph. It would be nice to be able to maybe top out above 65 instead of 62, 70 would be awesome. I want it mainly to be capable of doing 65 at times so i am capable of taking it out on some longer rides for fun. I like the idea of taking my little pcx out camping and such but it will require me to ride 55mph for 3+ hours each way, plus whatever random riding i might do at my destination. Most important thing first is i need a tiny bit more top speed. does the cvt on the pcx150 allow it to reach a higher top speed, and if so would it be a direct swap for the pcx125? or what would be the best and most complete solution to adding some more top end? i understand i will lose some acceleration but i didnt get my pcx for the thrill of going fast, thats what my triumph 1050 is for.

all ideas are appreciated.
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Re: PCX top speed

Post by scisor34 »

I'm 5'10" and had the same issue until installing a taller windshield. I now hit the rev limiter at 68-69mph with ease and fuel mpg has increased. Best mod in my opinion.
Fez

Post by Fez »

I have the 150 and it just had it's initial service so now I feel "free" to let it go all out, but unless I'm going downhill it's not going much over 60! I'm only 5' 8" but currently a little on the porky 210lb side, and I normally have a bag with a laptop strapped to the back seat. Is this to be expected? My commute is 13 miles total and I take a back road for safety reasons so I have 5 miles of 55, then 4 miles of 45, then 4 miles of 55 again. The last stretch is really more of a 60 the way most cages are moving and if I'm going on the incline then 55 is just doable. Was hoping to "hold my own" on this road at 60! Would a taller windshield help or hinder?
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

the original windshield created too much upper body wind buffeting. I bought a mid-size Givi windscreen and did not help that much. sold that and bought a large Givi windscreen and that did the trick! I feel comfortable going 55 and don't get buffeted as much by the crosswinds. it's good to ask first about this as you can't send the windshield back once you install it. and you don't know if the medium or large windscreen will work until you install it. it's a catch 22 situation... the companies selling the large windshields will try and sell you the mirror extensions. you don't need the extensions. they are for when you put your seat up, to put something inside, the mirrors might get in the way. if you situate them right, the mirrors are not an issue.
jayj11pcx125

Post by jayj11pcx125 »

Scisor, do you have a pcx150? i have a pcx125 and the most it has ever gone even downhill was 62. On a steep downhill i would roll the throttle on and it would scoot all the way up to 62 then just stop accelerating. I dont know if a windshield will help with that but im not opposed to getting one anyway for the fact it will boost my mpg, and make it easier for my scooter to hold its momentum at higher speed as well as improve top end acceleration.

my question is for anyone who has found a way of increasing the actual top speed the scooter is capable of. I have a 2011 PCX125, can i swap in the PCX150 cvt transmission into my scooter since they have a higher top speed? Instead of going out and buying a new scooter altogether.

i was thinking of swapping a pcx150 transmission and buying a windshield. those 2 combined should make the scooter capable of doing the day trips and such that i am looking to do. I know there are aftermarket variators that i can buy, if anyone has any experience increasing maximum top speed please let me know what you did.

thanks all of you for your input
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Apart from changing the ecu, and adding a big bore kit with performance exhaust you will have to put up with the low to mid 60's for top speed.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

:ugeek: Easiest way to get higher top speed... Taller rear tire!
You could get a gear up kit, harder than changing your rear tire imho.
my 140-70-14 rear tire allows my pcx 150 to reach a gps verified 71 mph 8)
with the same rear tire or at least the same diameter tire about 3/4 inch taller...
your pcx 125 should be able to reach 66 real mph.
check out my "wider tires" in the performance section.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Fez, I don't know if your weight is a factor, but when my wife takes her 150 out it can easily hit 70 and hold it. I know there is suppose to be some kind of limiter on these and the speedometer is suppose to be off a little. Still, she can take it on the freeway with no fear of being over run by traffic. We went on a 225 mile run yesterday and some of that was flat out on a main road. The speed limit fluctuated between 65 and 70 and she kept up with us 'big boys' who have Burgmans. So I don't know why yours hasn't hit that sweet spot yet, except that if it doesn't have 2,000 miles on it yet, which seems to be the break-in point for it, then it may still be too new.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

The PCX rev limiter is 62 mph so anything added won't increase speed. The cheapest way to go faster is trade for a 150, their limiter is around 73, but ours still won't surpass 65. It does only have 1,000 miles on her?
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

strkngfang wrote:The PCX rev limiter is 62 mph so anything added won't increase speed. The cheapest way to go faster is trade for a 150, their limiter is around 73, but ours still won't surpass 65. It does only have 1,000 miles on her?
Don't think so...

with a taller tire the speedometer(rev limiter) won't change, but the actually speed will duh :roll:

my speedo hits the rev limiter at 67mph, but I'm actually doing 71mph an increase of 4mph.
If the pcx 125 can do 62mph, with a taller tire of equal diameter as mine it will do 66mph.( both the 150 and 125 have the same size stock tires)

Yes your speedo will be off, but that is the price you pay for higher top speed.

In the US the pcx 150 is suppose to max at 68mph.
I say mine maxes out at 67mph others say higher than 68,but I would disagree, those people should gps verify their max speed ( ;) mel46)
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Maybe you're right, but not worth the extra cost for a few more mph. In Ohio, the minimum cc engine size for highway use is 250 so either PCX can't ride there.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I have a pcx 150. It started at 67-68 mph. I put on a Biondi tall screen and it cut top end to 65 mph. I also noticed that I ha to use considerably more throttle at 55 mph than before. I took that screen off and changed up for a givi 322 clear. Amazon has them for $91 with free shipping. I'm 5'6" and 170 lbs. I find that the givi puts the air at my chin and the outside of my shoulders. It's quite comfortable and I have no loss of speed at all. I put on a NCY variator today with 13g rollers and my top speed has increased to 80mph on the stand and 75mph down hill on the freeway. I did have to take it back off to shim the drive boss to get rid of vibration. A simple copper crush washer did the trick. Again this is between the case and the roller retaining plate. Anyway. I purchased the NCY kit from jiangwayne.com. It ran $105 with shipping from Taiwan to the Midwestern USA. They sell the variator with the outer drive face. PCXDemon turned me on to it. Thanks Mate!!! These two things are the best investment for normal riding if you do any freeway time.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

Mgalutia88 wrote:I have a pcx 150. It started at 67-68 mph. I put on a Biondi tall screen and it cut top end to 65 mph. I also noticed that I ha to use considerably more throttle at 55 mph than before. I took that screen off and changed up for a givi 322 clear. Amazon has them for $91 with free shipping. I'm 5'6" and 170 lbs. I find that the givi puts the air at my chin and the outside of my shoulders. It's quite comfortable and I have no loss of speed at all. I put on a NCY variator today with 13g rollers and my top speed has increased to 80mph on the stand and 75mph down hill on the freeway. I did have to take it back off to shim the drive boss to get rid of vibration. A simple copper crush washer did the trick. Again this is between the case and the roller retaining plate. Anyway. I purchased the NCY kit from jiangwayne.com. It ran $105 with shipping from Taiwan to the Midwestern USA. They sell the variator with the outer drive face. PCXDemon turned me on to it. Thanks Mate!!! These two things are the best investment for normal riding if you do any freeway time.
I think I might be getting a variator soon ;)
So your rev limiter kicks in at 75? Is there a electronic sensor that reads the variator or something that I'm missing :? I thought it was only mechanical?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

No, it just doesn't have much power to slip past 75. An exhaust would probably help. The rev limiter is not kicking in. It just ran out of steam.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Mgalutia88 wrote:I have a pcx 150. It started at 67-68 mph.
I put on a NCY variator today with 13g rollers and my top speed has increased to 80mph on the stand and 75mph down hill on the freeway.

Can I ask how much you weigh?
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Fez

Post by Fez »

So trying to distill the information above so far:

I'm only at around 750 miles, so waiting until I hit around 2000 miles might see some improvement?

Losing weight will help! :lol:

Replacing the OEM screen with a large Givi screen (322?) will help with speed, mpg, wind buffeting and probably help prolong riding into the cooler temps, is all of this true? I would have thought a bigger screen might be more of a "sail", especially when the 18 wheelers go the opposite direction 10 feet away at a combined speed of 110+. Cost of screen around $100?

Next step would be to get a "taller rear tire", like a 140-70-14 that dasshreddar mentioned. Any downsides to this? What's involved, new wheel/tire and to a shop to get it installed (I'm a computer guy, not a mechanic, yet!). Approx cost? How long do the stock tires last, might be worth looking into when they're ready for replacement? Is there a hack for telling the computer you have a different wheel size? On the scale of 1-10 how easy is it to install?

After that would be a variator for approx. $100. Is that a self install piece, does it void a warranty? On a scale of 1-10 how easy is it to install? Are there any other downsides?

I'm in Ohio, strkngfang, do you mean 250cc is what's needed for the turnpike, since they upped it to 70, or are other "highways" like I-480 included? Maybe just "I" roads? Not that I plan to necessarily ride them, but on occasion a couple of exits might be needed.

Thanks for all the great feedback, now to work on losing 20-30lbs :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mgalutia88 wrote:No, it just doesn't have much power to slip past 75. An exhaust would probably help. The rev limiter is not kicking in. It just ran out of steam.
Sensible post
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Fez wrote:Next step would be to get a "taller rear tire", like a 140-70-14 that dasshreddar mentioned. Any downsides to this? What's involved, new wheel/tire and to a shop to get it installed (I'm a computer guy, not a mechanic, yet!).
I had a 140-70-14 put on mine. My speed registered on a GPS unit shows that I am going about 5-8% slower than what the speedometer indicates. I do not know what the difference was between the GPS and speedometer before I swapped the tire out. The 140-70-14 is as large as you can go without other modifications. With the 140-70-14 there is minimal clearance on the rear inside mud guard but I was able to lift it a bit with a zip tie so that it doesn't rub when I go over a bump. Judging by your description of yourself, you will likely need to get it put on at a shop instead of DIY. You do not need another wheel, just the tire.
Fez wrote:... do you mean 250cc is what's needed for the turnpike, since they upped it to 70, or are other "highways" like I-480 included? Maybe just "I" roads? Not that I plan to necessarily ride them, but on occasion a couple of exits might be needed.
I am assuming that Ohio is the same as New York which would mean that it is all of the "I" (Interstate) highways, although the cc limits may vary from state to state.
Fez wrote:Thanks for all the great feedback, now to work on losing 20-30lbs :lol:
I hear you ... been there, done that, doing it again ... okay, maybe not doing it again, but should be doing it again ;) :o :D
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

In CA a 150cc and up is all you need for any road.

I'm not a windscreen type of guy, I just tuck to go fast 8)

I change all my own tires, If changing a bicycle tire is a "1", changing a scooter/motorcycle tire is a "10". :lol:
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Fez- I inquired with law enforcement & DOT about the cc requirement & was told 250 & above for all interstates or regional highways that post 65 or higher speed limits. We have some non interstate highways that are 55 & 60 & we are allowed on them. Most cars are doing 75-80 so a bike that tops out at or below is unsafe, there is no reserve to escape with. My thought is as long as you don't impede traffic flow then you probably won't be noticed. A Vespa 150 & 300gts look the same so how would the police know??
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red