My attempt to retrofit the bigger OEM fuel tank into 2013PCX

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: My attempt to retrofit the bigger OEM fuel tank into 201

Post by Gil »

iceman wrote:Is the fuel cap going to be at a steeper angle than usual (will the pastics fit around that) - trying to make sense from the pics :)
Now that I have done a test ride and filled up the tank, I can say that the cap and filler neck are the same as before. :D at the beginning I was anticipating that the plastic lid mechanism would be an issue, but not at all. Happy camper.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Congratulations!

I can see how the smaller fuel line transitions to the heavier fuel line right after the fuel pump. . .and where you had the issue of navigation to the injection system.

Sounds like the job is done and your PCX is roadworthy. A well deserved round of applause I'd say. ;)

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

PCX150Rider wrote:Congratulations!

I can see how the smaller fuel line transitions to the heavier fuel line right after the fuel pump. . .and where you had the issue of navigation to the injection system.

Sounds like the job is done and your PCX is roadworthy. A well deserved round of applause I'd say. ;)

Gil
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I filled up today after the low fuel light started flashing and only managed to fill up 0.998 gallons. I'll have to look at what the difference is between the two fuel systems. At least I know when I have one gallon left, LOL. :)

Gil
ImageImage
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I filled up today after the low fuel light started flashing and only managed to fill up 0.998 gallons. I'll have to look at what the difference is between the two fuel systems. At least I know when I have one gallon left, LOL. :)
Once you get an idea of the average mileage on a gallon of gas you can use the trip meter as a backup reference.

That being said if the light always goes on after a gallon has been spent it may be a good idea to top it off at the gas station anyways to reduce the possibility of condensation on the tank surface. :geek:
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

PCX150Rider wrote:
That being said if the light always goes on after a gallon has been spent it may be a good idea to top it off at the gas station anyways to reduce the possibility of condensation on the tank surface. :geek:

Yes, but that would defeat the purpose of this whole ordeal. :P :lol:

Gil
ImageImage
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Fuel gauge fix.
Looks like I might be able to fix the fuel gauge accuracy. I measured the electrical resistance of the 2013 fuel sender when the arm with the floater is all the way up the sender has a resistance of 10 Ohms and 100 Ohms when the arm is at the lowest. I didn't what to bother measuring the 2015 fuel pump that's in the scoot, but i'm guessing that it's range is much wider than the 2013 fuel sender. For now I have added a 100 Ohm resistor between the fuel sender signal and ground, at the plug that plugs into the instrument panel. The gauge is now showing about half a tank left. Will find out Saturday if it fixed the issue. Will update with the results.
Two 200 Ohm resisters in parallel added to get 100 Ohm.
Two 200 Ohm resisters in parallel added to get 100 Ohm.
IMG_20180126_012927953.jpg (45.19 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Gil
ImageImage
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Gil - your work on this has been absolutely astounding, and I can see why you would now want to resolve this last issue. OTOH, fuel gauges are notorious for inaccuracy anyway - maybe just use the trip odo?

As I said - a stunning bit of work here.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

GeorgeSK wrote:Gil - your work on this has been absolutely astounding, and I can see why you would now want to resolve this last issue. OTOH, fuel gauges are notorious for inaccuracy anyway - maybe just use the trip odo?

As I said - a stunning bit of work here.
Thanks GeorgeSK, :).
I had to give it a try at least. ;) I always fill up my vehicles when the low fuel warning shows up on the dash. It's just a habit.

AND

The fuel gauge is fixed.
Today I rode with some Grom riders in San Jose, CA for about 200 miles, including the distance there and back home. I can now say that the fuel gauge is working properly. I had less than half a tank left when I left my home and didn't fill up until 15 miles after the last bar on the fuel gauge stated flashing. I filled up 2.138 Gallons into my gas tank. Disclaimer, I fill my tank to the rim of the filler neck. I'm satisfied with how the fuel gauge meters the fuel level and now I know that when I have four bars left on the fuel gauge, I have used one gallon of gasoline. Can't get better than that.
IMG_20180127_110829497_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180127_110829497_HDR.jpg (13.35 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
Gil
ImageImage
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That is cutting it close, isn't it? Isn't the max for the new tank 2.1 gal.?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Mel46 wrote:That is cutting it close, isn't it? Isn't the max for the new tank 2.1 gal.?
I was surprised by how much fuel was used to fill the tank. The last solid bar took more than 40 miles for it to start blinking, which is what other members here have reported with their newer scooters. I do fill my tank up to the point where the fuel starts to overflow out of the filler neck, so I'm guessing that that's why I added 2.138 gallons. On my next fill up I'll look to see what the difference is between filling the tank to the cross bar, at the bottom of the filler neck, to filling it up to the rim. You might be right Mel46, that I might be cutting it close, i'll have to run it dry to see how far I can go on the low fuel warning.

Gil
ImageImage
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

After 166 miles and with the low fuel light blinking for 5 miles, I filled 1.949 gallons to the cross bar on the filler neck. I filled 2.109 gallons to the rim of the filler neck, didn't spill any fuel this time. That means that I managed to fill 0.16 gal more than stock. At my obtained MPG, on this tank, I had 12.64 miles extra in range.

As for my first fill, I would of added 1.978 gallons under normal fuelling conditions. I think I will have to run it dry to know the actual range under low fuel light conditions.

Gil
ImageImage