Reflective Vest for the Visually Impaired or Brain Dead

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Reflective Vest for the Visually Impaired or Brain Dead

Post by you you »

JohnL wrote:I went to the trouble of looking at the website only to find they want $79.99 shipping to Oz.

In anyone's language that's a blatant ripoff! Obviously, they aren't selling them for anyone's health but their own. :x :x

It might not be the vendor. Shipping costs from America by the transit companies have skyrocketed.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I got free shipping when I ordered mine because I also ordered another item that put it over $99 and I live in the continental U.S.. Shipping abroad costs extra.

There are a lot of vests out there that are cheaper. I looked at some recently in a motorcycle shop that were $50. But the quality of this vest is very good IMHO.

Sorry to hear the shipping cost is so high. . .it's as much as the cost of the vest. . .and the vendor's don't reap that. Hopefully you can get something at one of your local shops and avoid the shipping fees. If I wanted to order one from Australia I'll bet they'd charge me a large donkey and a dog as well. . .
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

As an added note. . .and due to the fact that when I made the original post about the vest my intent was to inform the Forum of the availability of such a product and that this particular one seemed to be of very good quality. I wasn't in any way suggesting that one purchases it from the same vendor I did. . .just that it's something available to the public now. :geek:

Since we live in the age of globalization one needs to keep in mind that we no longer live on "Pangea" and accessibility, availability, or affordability of any products may not be universally similar. :roll:

In other words, I may be able to get something on my turf but you may not be able to get it on yours. It would be too expensive to get it to other places around the world or just not available. o_O

So when I post about products that I have found to be good items in the future I'll do it for informative purposes and not with the intent (not that I ever did) that one should purchase it from the same vendor I did or that it may necessarily be available at your local market. . .just that "it's out there". :)

The great thing about the internet is that we can communicate like we live a couple of streets down from each other but in reality we are continents apart. Hopefully moving forward that will make the world a better place but I'm not sure how it will effect shipping costs. :lol: 8)
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I have already found a supplier in the US who will ship the same vest for $40.00, but that's also outside my price range.

Re, looking at local bike shops, it's a triple barrelled whammy, crap products at inflated prices and lack of choice thrown in.

I'm a bitter oooooold man. :lol: :lol: :lol:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I know what you mean. Good luck with that. Let us know what you come up with. . .or if you were able to get a good deal at the motorcycle shop.

FWIW I was toying with the idea of spray painting my old Shoei FF with Blaze Yellow Plasti-Dip but not sure yet. It still doesn't look too bad but the pads are just not what they were. . .even though I clean it. I thought for short trips around town it may fill the bill. Here's a link to a video I saw but please note that it's for entertainment purposes only as the guy states. . .gotta laugh. . .it's funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_aingfOl8k

I guess if you don't like the results the stuff is just supposed to peel off most surfaces. I would never do this on a new helmet though. . .just one I'd consider tossing out.

My new SyMax III is due here tomorrow for delivery. Hope that lasts me until I go to the happy riding ground in the sky. I'm shooting for 105 years old but I'll take 100. :lol:
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

PCX150Rider wrote:I know what you mean. Good luck with that. Let us know what you come up with. . .or if you were able to get a good deal at the motorcycle shop.

FWIW I was toying with the idea of spray painting my old Shoei FF with Blaze Yellow Plasti-Dip but not sure yet. It still doesn't look too bad but the pads are just not what they were. . .even though I clean it. I thought for short trips around town it may fill the bill. Here's a link to a video I saw but please note that it's for entertainment purposes only as the guy states. . .gotta laugh. . .it's funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_aingfOl8k

I guess if you don't like the results the stuff is just supposed to peel off most surfaces. I would never do this on a new helmet though. . .just one I'd consider tossing out.

My new SyMax III is due here tomorrow for delivery. Hope that lasts me until I go to the happy riding ground in the sky. I'm shooting for 105 years old but I'll take 100. :lol:
Some helmets sell new inner pads, liners etc. Make an old helmet fit and smell like new. I install after winter riding with balaclavas which compress the pads for too loose summer fit.
Fish
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I enjoyed the video, he's a character, a fun kinda guy.
Anywho, towards the end he has a side by side wearing both the white and hi-viz yellow lids.

I'm curious, which lid stood out the most to you?
Note: the sky differs in both. One darker than the other. Does that create a visual difference?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

WN - The yellow seemed more visible to me. . .but I see what you mean about the sky. Speaking of sky not a drop in the air today eh? Finally!

My new helmet just showed up from UPS.

Gotta go check it out. Fingers crossed it will fit! o_O

Will post a review later. . . :geek:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

So here is a pic of the vest. It's been ridden at speed on Interstates and also regular roads. It works well and as I've said before fits right over the top of my riding jackets.
100_4369a.jpg
100_4369a.jpg (288.37 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:I enjoyed the video, he's a character, a fun kinda guy.
Anywho, towards the end he has a side by side wearing both the white and plasti dip hi-viz yellow lids.
Yes he is funny man :lol: as for plasti dipping your helmet, rims, etc. :roll: it will come off whatever as easy as it does the visor.

step one...
shake up can of plasti dip
step two...
throw plasti dip in trash
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:I enjoyed the video, he's a character, a fun kinda guy.
Anywho, towards the end he has a side by side wearing both the white and plasti dip hi-viz yellow lids.
Yes he is funny man :lol: as for plasti dipping your helmet, rims, etc. :roll: it will come off whatever as easy as it does the visor.

step one...
shake up can of plasti dip
step two...
throw plasti dip in trash

:D :D :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

PCX150Rider wrote:WN - The yellow seemed more visible to me. . .but I see what you mean about the sky. Speaking of sky not a drop in the air today eh? Finally!
Yes!! That Big Ball of Yellow is over our Heads! Hallelujah!
Yesterday was beautiful, but I spent it in the Nursing Home. Today, the weather even better.
WN....Shut up, Saddle up n ride!!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Today was a beautiful day. If my wife and I had not been committed to transporting 6 Rescue dogs to the organization in another State today, we would have been riding. Hopefully things will work out tomorrow for us. My wife is anxious to ride again, but at the same time she is anxious ABOUT riding again. She just told me today that if she can't find a way to get back into riding (including the possibility of buying a trike or converting her pcx) then I am to sell both bikes and never ride again. I am not too happy about that, so I hope she has no problems.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:She just told me today that if she can't find a way to get back into riding (including the possibility of buying a trike or converting her pcx) then I am to sell both bikes and never ride again. I am not too happy about that, so I hope she has no problems.
Something isn't right here, my wife helps me find time to ride out.. without her.
um
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Today was a beautiful day. If my wife and I had not been committed to transporting 6 Rescue dogs to the organization in another State today, we would have been riding. Hopefully things will work out tomorrow for us. My wife is anxious to ride again, but at the same time she is anxious ABOUT riding again. She just told me today that if she can't find a way to get back into riding (including the possibility of buying a trike or converting her pcx) then I am to sell both bikes and never ride again. I am not too happy about that, so I hope she has no problems.
Let me first say thanks for helping those dogs! Those who add value to life on this planet always leave a bigger foot print than those who just add value to their bank account (unless they donate generously to help those critters who cannot help themselves). :D

About riding again. . .That's a heavy duty decision Mel. . .and she needs to go with her instincts. The choice to ride is a very personal one. Maybe a used top down Jeep Wrangler or VW Beetle Convertible may be something to consider to still get "out in the open air".

I have days when I think about giving up riding and as a solution to keep going at it I become more deliberate with my actions and just plain ride more safely. I can only reduce the risk. . .I can't eliminate it. But if the "near misses" and "close calls" continue to increase to a point where I just can't get any enjoyment out of riding anymore I will stop riding and fall back on riding in my Jeep with the top down. Motorcycles/Scooters are a huge part of my life and I really don't want to give that up. . .but the realities are what they are and I've got to listen to reason when it speaks.

Don't want to write a book here but yesterday I was entering Main Street in my town (two lanes each way with a median) on my KLR. A car was slowly trying to back out blindly behind a box truck and had nowhere to go but out into my lane. So I saw what was a potential problem so I slowed waaayyyyyy dddddddoooooooowwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn to give it a chance to back out and go. Well. . .this elderly lady who had been behind me for a while leading up to this (and had a Disability Parking Lot thing hanging from her mirror) decides to go around me and very close indeed (like really close) and cause the individual in front of me to stop backing up quickly and she continued on drifting from right lane to left lane with no turn signals for another half a mile until she was going to go left to turn off. She had to wait a bit for traffic in the oncoming lane to disperse. When I went by I noticed the whole passenger side of her car was all banged in and scratched up like she had bounced off a guard rail or something. That led me to believe she was either on meds, is getting macular degeneration, or had been losing her depth perception but just won't give up the license for fear of not being able to get around. There are an estimated 10 million Americans who suffer from macular degeneration right now. . .maybe more.

So whatever decision you and your wife make about riding should include the alternatives and options available to continue enjoying the "great outdoors" together in a way that suits you both. :D

FWIW I worked on a horse rescue farm for a while and can appreciate the hard work of volunteers who keep these animals alive and cared for. Now that I'm retired and get some things squared away I'm going to use that farm as a ride destination now and then to go do some volunteer work and try to make the world a better place. ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
Mel46 wrote:She just told me today that if she can't find a way to get back into riding (including the possibility of buying a trike or converting her pcx) then I am to sell both bikes and never ride again. I am not too happy about that, so I hope she has no problems.
Something isn't right here, my wife helps me find time to ride out.. without her.
um
Really :lol: :lol:
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

.[/quote] Something isn't right here, my wife helps me find time to ride out.. without her.
um[/quote]

You're not alone homie, my wife reminds/suggests that maybe it's time I went for a ride. Can't blame her my constant smartass comments would drive anyone crazy :lol: :lol:

Truth is, she's making sure I get out and about in the glorious sunshine here in Queensland.
PingGam
Year: 2012 PCX
Color: Black

Post by PingGam »

Get a Hi Viz bike instead. 8)
Forza-PCX-1676x1241-1257x931-942x698.jpg
Forza-PCX-1676x1241-1257x931-942x698.jpg (189.4 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
Forza-1638x921-1228x690.jpg
Forza-1638x921-1228x690.jpg (282.4 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
Current Scooters
2012 PCX 150 Black
2016 Forza 300 ABS Yellow
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

That Forza would certainly stand out in the crowded streets over here! Amid the blurrrrrr of white and silver and gold cars it would look like a phosphorescent blast of speed . .definitely Hi Viz! :D

I think the dog wants a ride. . . :lol:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I don't use safety colored vests at all ..I don't ride at night and I think a lot of people are color blind anyway. My main focus is on being "attractive" by using a bright headlight modulator and a strobe braking light system . Damn if they cant see my cherry red scooter , blinking, and strobing away they aren't looking anyway so colored vest are not going to be a factor . As far as awareness goes the minute you stop being nervous(perhaps a better word is concerned) when riding in the mean streets is the minute you are not focused and are complacent.Can't be that way on a scooter or motorbike. You have to look at every person as an asshole and expect danger at any moment. There is no room for error.. That's why I invested in an air bag vest, which is cool in hot summer, lightweight, not confining and can be worn with my armored jacket if necessary..Yeah, I know it doesn't protect my shoulders or skin from raspberries but it does help protect the vitals like my spinal cord and vital organs ie spleen etc. and to me that's the important stuff. Mel, keep up the good work with the animals.. I too applaud your involvement and care for the unwanted dogs and cats etc.. without homes. Picture of air bag vest fyi ..
Attachments
air vest (2).jpg
air vest (2).jpg (294.06 KiB) Viewed 1079 times