Need a jacket

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Coastal Mountainer
Year: 2013
Color: black

Need a jacket

Post by Coastal Mountainer »

Hi Everyone,

New here, moved up from an older true moped to a 2013 Honda PCX 150. Thinking about what I'll need and a jacket comes to mind.

I have lots of hunting clothes to use as base layers so I'm thinking a good lightweight, reflective jacket I can use all year round would work.

I'd appreciate suggestions on what I should be looking for. Brands, specific jackets, and, best web site to purchase from.

thanks!!
2014 CTX 700dct Red (glad I got it)

2013 PCX 150 Black (wish I could have kept it)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Need a jacket

Post by Mel46 »

It will depend on how much you want to spend. I have a Tourmaster. They are a couple hundred dollars. When I had my accident it saved my life.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

Over the years, I have bought a lot from here - http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Check the "Closeouts/Last Chance Bargains" for the best deals.

They also sell some second hand stuff - "Customer Closet"
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

I've found the ventilated mesh jackets to be really good. I have this Tourmaster Draft Air 3: http://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/d ... _3/116/628

For the summer, leave out the liner, and you get some nice airflow, while still having armor in the right places. Also, the brand name 'Tourmaster' is more likely to get you a warning than "Joe Rocket". ;)

I haven't tried the liner yet, which is allegedly waterproof/windproof, but still breathable. I figure that'll make it into a good spring/fall jacket, with a base layer underneath.

For cooler weather, I like a ski jacket better, but I don't ride much when it gets that cool. This was around $100 at a local shop.
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

This will sound weird and not readily understandable to me but maybe some of you know why leather keeps coming round to being my first choice. Even when the sun is baking my back I can't feel it through decent cowhide. I don't want to wear leather on a scooter but never miss a chance to put it on with a street bike. Leather is always ready for rocks, rain, hot sun and apparently gets on with a good slide and not a tumble if you go off in a textile. Granted it's overkill for the scooter and lacks style but I'm not near as happy or secure in my HiViz mesh jacket as I am in a good all season leather jacket.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

My Hi-Viz vest fits right over the top of my 2XL Harley Davidson Basic Skins leather jacket (old school style). I usually only wear it when I'm going on trips out of town on a motorcycle. If I'm going to do extensive Interstate highway riding I'll wear the leather pants that came with it also.

On the PCX sometimes I just wear the vest over a T-Shirt or hoodie when it's really hot and choose discrete routes around town where I know I probably won't get over 40 MPH. Definitely always grab the helmet. Wear gloves most of the time as well. If I take a longer trip on the PCX. . .say 50 miles or so. . .and it's after 5:00PM or on a weekend I definitely would wear leather.