Helmet

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Helmet

Post by Sandymay »

What helmet do you wear and why?
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Re: Helmet

Post by JohnL »

LS2 Full Face. Fits my head, suits my budget and give great protection against accidents, all elements and insects. Has inbuilt sunvisor, and that's important in Queensland both summer and winter as we have many sunny, clear days. Only downside is it's hot when stationary, but you can lift the visor
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

I have 2 a open face that I use most of the time. And full face when it gets cool.---
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Full face. A helmet can't protect what it doesn't cover. Having your lower face and jaw exposed doesn't seem all that bright (at least to me). Seriously consider hi-viz. You are more noticeable, even if it is just your helmet that stands out against a sea of automobiles and trucks.

Take the time to drive around and try everything around you on, and try not to let cost drive your bus. Helmets are different shapes, and you just can't know how a manufacturer feels without having it on your head for at least 15 minutes. Expect that it will squash your cheeks some (full face, anyway), but should not be uncomfortable. Obviously the helmet must have appropriate safety ratings, but I expect that you simply won't be able to buy anything that does not.

If there are not any motorcycle places around, then you probably should deal with a place like Revzilla, where returns are easy. You might also spend some time watching their reviews - more for what to think about than for what they actually say (since all the helmets seem to be fabulous). Mine is a bit heavy, not terribly loud, and the face shield seal is still free of wind noise after four seasons. (It is an Speed and Strength SS2200, FWIW). It also does not fit under the seat. I find the wire hanger to be excellent, however.

On the bright side, shopping can be a fair bit of fun. Doing it during the winter might net you a deal, especially if you find something local. Just don't buy the first helmet that feels sorta OK - you can always come back to the store once you have tried on a few more. You will be wearing it and trusting it for a good bit of time.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

GeorgeSK wrote:Full face .... Take the time to drive around and try everything around you on .... If there are not any motorcycle places around, then you probably should deal with a place like Revzilla, where returns are easy.
Ditto

As well, when my wife an I were looking for helmets back in the US for our bike there, I was wondering how snug is snug enough without being too snug. One astute salesman took hold of the front of the helmet when I was testing it for the fit and told me to try to swivel my head because you don't want to be able to move your head inside the helmet. It would also be good to keep in mind that if you are stuck between sizes, choosing the one that is a little snugger is likely better because it will most likely wear in and become a little looser.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Schuberth C3-light and full coverage
Scorpion open face-great fit
Bell Evo-nice but don't wear it much, hi-viz

All with Sena BT headsets....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Me- a half helmet and googles
why -light and easy to store
the other posters probably have it right
just can't live my life in armour
not that I have a bad attitude but I do have a choice on how I approach life
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Schuberth C3 Modular (White) w/interior sun visor - lightweight, quiet
Shoei Qwest Full Face (White) - no interior sun visor - lightweight, a little noise
Nolan N104 Modular (Hi Viz Yellow) w/interior sun visor - heavier than my C3 but hardly noticeable to me. Quiet but not as quiet as the C3
They all have Great visibility.

I like these helmets, but favor the Schuberth and Nolan modulars.
Full Face helmets are the safest, with modulars next in line.
I get thirsty riding and it's such a convenience to flip the face up and away to hydrate.
A full face must come off unless you concock a straw idea that runs under the chin area and into your mouth. I did that riding in Florida and it worked fine (just a p.i.t.a.)

Where to start? Find a tape measure and run it around your head just above your eyebrows. Measure twice or more if uncertain. "Phone a Friend" :D if you must, but get an accurate number. Have that # with you shopping online, or in the store. It'll help the salesperson check their stock to fit you. You gotta start somewhere...

I enjoy shopping for helmets...there are So many great choices. But! Numero Uno > find the Safest Fit, Don't dive in for the color/pattern/graphics alone. You know that. Just Sayin' ;)

This website: http://www.webbikeworld.com is loaded with reviews on helmets and other gear. One of my fav websites to visit. Try it and good luck!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Shoei full face. Compulsory.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!
wrighty
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White fastest!

Post by wrighty »

I settled on a HJC IS17 because it fitted the best on my head mainly and price and features were good.

The Mrs was hard work though! she tried loads on but they didnt fit her head right! finally got a Scorpion 500 which is comfy and again good price and features.

You must try them on and go with the one that fits good.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

relic wrote:Me- a half helmet and googles
why -light and easy to store
the other posters probably have it right
just can't live my life in armour
not that I have a bad attitude but I do have a choice on how I approach life
Me too.. same reasons and I hate things too confining and fogging annoys me as well.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks! 8)
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Simon0867 »

LS2 flip front in Hi-Vis yellow. Good build quality at a decent price, also has built in sun visor and pinlock fittings. Works well and covers me for all riding conditions.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

You can get 5 star rated helmets that are really comfortable for under a £100 - even with sun-visor and pin-lock for that price - but if you want to pay more for ones that may be a few % more comfy or better yet, and probably more importantly, less noisy at high speed, then pay what you can afford. Many helmets costing £300-500 do not get higher safety scores than ones costing a 1/4 the price.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sandymay, which helmet or helmet's have you considered so far? Any? :) Tell us/Show us. More comments will follow
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

HJC IS MAX II. Pin ready, modular helmet. Clear face shield and a retractable sun visor. Easy to care for and good ventilation.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/is-max-ii/is- ... BhYRYhpahA
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks everyone....I haven't had the opportunity yet to look at helmets in person....I hope to in the coming weeks....good to have an idea what features I should be looking for.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

$30 PGR like this one, fits like a glove. No helmet law in Florida but I wear it anyway.
Attachments
pgr op01.jpg
pgr op01.jpg (22.33 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Tipover
Year: 2011
Color: Candy red

Post by Tipover »

I just ordered a HJC CL-17 White with Chrome shield from my local Honda dealer. They didn't have a white one in stock. It replaces my old HJC CL-12. Reasonably priced, and it fits good.