Dr. Martens boots?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Dr. Martens boots?

Post by djcat »

Good morning,

will pick up the PCX today from the dealership and was looking into getting somewhat more walkable gear, one of the points of getting a scooter is to be a little more comfy when going to the shops or when going for an ice cream and coffee. I really like that some stuff not made for biking is still protective such as builder's gear, and I came across the Dr. Martens boots. Does anybody have those? Could you walk around in them all day? They seem to be heavier than hiking boots.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Dr. Martens boots?

Post by Taz »

Depends on the type of Dr Martens. Some are light. I backpacked round the world with lots of hiking on Dr Marten Air cushioned. You just need to break them in with short walks till they mold to your feet (same like any boot).
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

I've got a pair of bike boots and change them to my trainers when I get off the scooter, trainers take up no room in the storage on a scooter and more comfy to walk round in!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Dr Martens boots are comfortable enough but the quality/longevity is utter shite.
I used to wear through them pretty quickly in my time as a Police Constable.
The uppers would crack and the air wear soles burst, then developed holes on the sole and the heels wore down very quickly.
That was a while ago and I can't imagine they have got any better now they are made in China.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Dr. Martens boots?

Post by Alibally »

I use docs at my work and they last about a year before the expire. I work in a Garage so get covered in all sorts . Once they are broken in they are really comfy if your on your feet all day. I got a pair of DeWalt boots but the metal eyes have really sharp edges and have had about 5 pairs of laces on them in about a year.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Thanks for the replies, I'm thinking about getting the Doc Martens 6905 (in Brown). There are a few others that are just a little cheaper and may be as protective but I think they are the best option of protection and looks. I don't run around too much so if two people on here can use them fairly well in demanding jobs I should be fine. The other alternative was the Alpinestar Miglia Riding Shoe, but that one is a) more expensive and b) I don't know how well I could walk around in it so the Doc M it is.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

I wear Caterpillar boots in winter. They have a Gore-Tex membrane and although maybe not as comfortable as worn-in Docs they are comfy enough and would give a measure of protection in a spill. That said, mine haven't really worn in the two winters I've had them as I change into lighter shoes at work. Give 'em another 3 years and they should just about be broken in.

Bill
Image[/URL
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
Should look into any Army Surplus stores too. Not sure if you're in the US or elsewhere, but you can usually find sturdy, comfy, full-ankle height boots at those joints. Most of my boots are cheap wal-mart boots now since I replace mine every 6-9 months regardless of wear 'cause they get so nasty at work, but I had some from a surplus store (Sherper's) when I was younger and they were great.
~~
rich666
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rich666 »

Tristik has a point.

Army surplus stores sell some pretty good footwear. I use a pair of German Para boots on my trials and trail bikes for 11 years, and even use them on my bikes now, I've probably walked 10,000 miles in them too, the soles are worn out now so time for a new pair.
If you go down the Docs route the options are endless. My personal approach would be the 4 life range, they cost a little bit more but when the sole wears out they replace it for free and any damage is repaired free of charge for the rest of your life.
make your choice, Pay your money and enjoy them , comfy shoes/boots are a must for anyone.
it tastes like...Eagle!
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Thanks for all the great advice, will have to think about what boot now. Decisions, decisions :)
meissinger
Regular User
Regular User

Post by meissinger »

I hate shoes. I live in sandals, 365 days/year. The only time I've worn shoes, in the last 5 years was at my mother's funeral and for a job interview (didn't get the job, so I wish I hadn't bothered).

That said, I wear boots when riding my pcx. I have two pair -- a pair of lace-up work boots and a zippered pair of riding boots. I like the zip-up pair because I can throw my sandals into the trunk, and do a quick change. The boots (and socks) fit in the trunk, and I hang my helmet.

It works.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

meissinger wrote:I hate shoes. I live in sandals, 365 days/year. The only time I've worn shoes, in the last 5 years was at my mother's funeral and for a job interview (didn't get the job, so I wish I hadn't bothered).

That said, I wear boots when riding my pcx. I have two pair -- a pair of lace-up work boots and a zippered pair of riding boots. I like the zip-up pair because I can throw my sandals into the trunk, and do a quick change. The boots (and socks) fit in the trunk, and I hang my helmet.

It works.
Thanks for that
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

I have DR. Martens boots (10 eyelet 1490). I've had them for years but I rarely use them. Still running in -- they are stiff and I cannot wear them for any longer period of time. So I cannot say anything about longevity. Probably the soles will age and get brittle when stashed away and not used. They are made in China.

I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
wilbur
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza ABS
Color: The fast color

Post by wilbur »

I wear a pair of Red Wings on the scoot. Good for all day if I want, and I'm a running shoe kind of person. I will throw a pair of running shoes in the scoot depending on my mood though.
Image, Image